Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Firstly - thanks for taking the time to read this post, from reading the forum I understand you must recieve a few of these.

Having spent a lot of time in the garden since lockdown here in the UK, I have been feeding all the wild birds, and a few pigeons. I am quite fond of some of the feral pigeons, and they are quite friendly.

Yesterday walking down the garden, by chance, I noticed a quite large pigeon that I didn't recognise on top of another. Thinking this was quite normal and not wanting to disturb, I left it for a few seconds before I relalised they were having quite the scuffle. There was another (I presume female) pigeon there who also flew off. Me walking over to them seemed to scare the larger one off, and he somewhat reluctantly flew off. I'm not sure if it was territorial, and I'd be interested to see your guys take on how old this bird is? I think maybe quite young?

I went over to see how the other pigeon was doing and he to be in shock at this point, limping away with his wing drooped slightly.

I kept an eye on him for a few hours before realising he must be far too injured to fly off. I proceeded to give him a dish with some warm lightly salted / sugar mixture which he received gratefully. He was cowering in the corner very puffed up at this point, so I realised he must be in shock and wouldn't likely survive the night exposed like that.

I took him and placed him in a large aerated box with a few black towels over the box to darken the box and calm him. I also made some bedding out of large paper towels, and left the wild bird seed mix and water solution in plastic takeaway containers for him to eat & drink. Following this I then placed him in the shed overnight for him to heal up. I suspect an injured wing, but from the way he's moving - there looks to be potential for recovery!

Photos:
Https://ibb.co/DVpKRZz
Https://ibb.co/RYybXSG

Now onto my real concerns - his feces is particularly watery, and has been since the moment I found him. He's passing frequently, but it's the colour that concerns me. Bright green.

See photo:
Https://ibb.co/LtQf0J6
Https://ibb.co/3kz6Pml

From reading, I understand this could well be Coccidiosis, either that or starvation. I suspect being a feral bird - this would be quite common. As I mentioned earlier I would be interested in determining how old this bird is as that may explain it. I'd be happy to spend money on antibiotics or remedies if required, but didn't want to self diagnose the issue.

Also heat wise, it's in a temperate environment at the moment out of the sun (there is a heatwave here in the UK). But I understand they prefer to be somewhere rather warm? Just trying to understand the balance.

Thanks in advance! Hopefully we can get this little thing back on it's wings.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Poor bird, thanks for rescueing him. The green droppings can be from starvation or a bacterial infection. Is he eating and drinking? If he is only starving, then he will eat. If not eating, he might be sick. Pigeons will often attack a sick or injured pigeon, as they will attract predators.

I know on FB there are a few sites you can post for help. Try pigeon and dove rescue. I think there is a site for UK members. They might advice on a rescue centre you can take him. Otherwise, do you know of a decent avian vet you can take him? Tell them he is your pet, you don't want him euthanized. I've heard to many stories of pigeons that just got put down.

Can you take a flashlight and check deep inside the beak and back of the throat for yellow or white growths that might indicate canker? At least this can be treated. If he seems cold, put him on a hotwaterbottle covered with a soft fleezy blanket.

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the timely response Marina. He is eating a little, although he is quite shy and scared around me, naturally. I'm assuming the puffed up nature is due to him being sick / in shock. He's drinking the solution that I am giving him which is a positive.

I've got a feeling he may well be sick in that case, based on what you have said above. I have got some wild bird seeds to hopefully that is the right thing for him to be eating. I made a water / slight sugar / pinch of salt solution with a half an espresso cup of apple cider vinegar as read this may help, but was cautious with this as I don't want to make things worse. Is there any medication that I can help him with?

Working from home at the moment, I should be able to help care for him for a while, but understand he'll need proper inspection by a vet.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
The apple cider vinegar in the drinking water will help, but won't cure any disease. The ratio is 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. Did you check inside his beak for those growths? Canker is a very common disease amongst pigeons, so one should always check for that. Sometimes they have canker without the growths. Does he have difficulty swallowing? Drinking excessive water? Those are more symptoms of canker.

Yes, an avian vet would be the best option. But don't wait too long before taking him. I've read that 1 day for a pigeon to be sick is equal to a week for a human. If he is not eating well, then he won't last long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts