Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m after some advice please?
Yesterday a pigeon flew in to my parents house and was subsequently attacked by their cat. They took it in and put it safely out of harms way in a cardboard box with a towel. It had a nasty flesh wound to its chest and under his wing. His neck looked broken as it is badly crooked to one side. He refused food and water, but today when I visited, the pigeon is accepting water when you hold the bowl up to it. It can perch on the side of it but eventually toppled sideways. It can move its head around, although it always goes back to its crooked position. He has eaten some bird food and seems very calm like he knows we are helping. I was able to give him half a dispersible aspirin in case he was in pain and he took this well a few hours ago. I am happy to take him home and nurse him, as my only other option is to take him to the vets and I am sure they will put him down, so would rather avoid that if there is a chance. Any advice would be greatly received 🙂

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Thank you for rescuing him. He needs amoxicillin if he was attacked by a cat. If you ever take any pigeon to a vet, pls tell them it is your pet and you want him saved.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Please do as cwebster suggested. Cat saliva is deadly for birds and he will need antibiotics. If you have an amoxycillin based antibiotic, you can treat him yourself. A crooked neck and losing balance sounds like paramyxo virus. Is he spinning in circles as well?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts