Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i found this pigeon on my way home, it had been hit by car,i could not stand the thought of another car running over it so i brought it home not knowing how bad it was hurt which turned out to be a compound fracture of the right leg abd broken wing that was 2 months ago, it has mended its leg, which is a little shorter than the other and expercises its wing daily it may fight again. i have not taken it outside because of the cold, needless to say it has taken our home over it goes anywhere it wishes although it like to hang out in the livingroom with us, even my pitbulls dont seem to bother it.since it appears it has become a part of our family i would like to give it a name, can anyone give info on how i can tell its sex or do i give it any name thanks dixiedandy50

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you're willing to pay, you can do it by DNA.
If not, from what I've read, you can sex it observing his/her behavior. I've read that the males coo more, for example. I'll do a little search on the forum to find more info on behavioral sexing.
Edit: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f27/sexing-pigeons-4170.html
Dunno how accurate it is, but nobody replied anything bad about it.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f5/sexing-pigeons-maybe-26206.html
Weird one.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f5/can-you-tell-male-from-female-5146.html

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Thank you for saving your friend's life, Dixie. Do a websearch for bird sexing. It's very easy to have a bird sexed by sending just a feather, I believe.

If her flying is compromised at all, you have indeed made the right decision by keeping her. If she has become fully flighted again, she could be released via "soft release" method...but again, if she's happy and y'all are happy, keeping her domestically is a pretty good alternative, too.

....the only thing you cannot really do is a half-and-half. Some people assume that they can keep a domesticated feral yet still allow him/her access to the full outdoors and other feral flocks, and they will come back each day. This always ends badly, one way or the other.
A bird which becomes domesticated, due to an injury which doesn't heal very significantly...or a bird which was raised by a human since she was a nestling...or any formerly-feral pigeon for that matter, cannot live a half-and-half. They aren't wired that way. They can be in the feral world. Or they can be in the doesticated/pet/aviary/loft world. But not one wing in both.
Caregiver needs to decide it's one or the other.

Anyway, I digress. Sounds like you all are comfortable with the situation. Thanks for caring !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks to everyone who gave me advise. I did more research and have decided that sarah will become sam instead. He has become quite noisey but that okay. He fusses alot when he gets put in his cage before i go to work and shouts for joy when i come home and he is released to freedom. Isn't it funny how much joy little moments like this give us. It really make my day end great no matter how bad it may have been. God really blesses us in many way, we just need to be able to see it. I have also been blessed to meet such a supportive and careing group of people. Please keep sharing your stories and advise and I'll do the same. dixiedandy 50 :

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.