Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear pigeon lovers ~
I found a lovely big racing pigeon about 10 days ago - bad bleeding injury on right side beneath wing - possible hawk attack. I've contacted the owner and said I'm happy to keep it til the wound heals up. I'm reluctant ot send it back as he didn't seem too bothered and I think he might euthanise it. It's in a big wire pet cage in my shed. It was eating and drinking fine, wasn't underweight and seemed healthy but is limping badly - I think this is because the injury is at the top of its leg as nothing's broken. Anyway, for the last couple of days it's barely touched its food and is not sitting down any more - it tries but seems uncomfortable. The big wound seems to be closing and healing up. What can I do to help it? Would some time out of the cage help? I could let it have a flap around the shed. I think it might be bored or depressed. Does it need to sit down or is it fine standing?
Thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
106 Posts
first thing if it a racing pigeon he wants to go back home and may be his wound has healed and he knows that its time to head back home.
also check with his owner what feed he used to give the pigeons as some may be not interested to have other food or new food.
if hes still not eating use a bit of liv 52 an appetite booster so that he starts feeling hungry and will have his food on time.
other thing is feed it twice a day only and dont provide food at all times so that he understands that food time is only twice.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Dear pigeon lovers ~
I found a lovely big racing pigeon about 10 days ago - bad bleeding injury on right side beneath wing - possible hawk attack. I've contacted the owner and said I'm happy to keep it til the wound heals up. I'm reluctant ot send it back as he didn't seem too bothered and I think he might euthanise it. It's in a big wire pet cage in my shed.

It was eating and drinking fine, wasn't underweight and seemed healthy but is limping badly - I think this is because the injury is at the top of its leg as nothing's broken. Anyway, for the last couple of days it's barely touched its food and is not sitting down any more - it tries but seems uncomfortable. The big wound seems to be closing and healing up.

What can I do to help it? Would some time out of the cage help?

I could let it have a flap around the shed. I think it might be bored or depressed. Does it need to sit down or is it fine standing?
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Could you post your general location? There may be a member, rehabber or vet nearby that can help you.

Just a thought:
Although the wounds may be healing, there could possibly be an underlying infection. The fact that he was eating and drinking and now isn't so much would indicate to me something is amiss. :(
In order to completely r/o a break, an X-ray would need to be taken.
Any chance of posting a picture or two of the wound site?
How have you been treating the wounds?

I would suggest NOT letting him out of the cage, for the time being anyway.

Cindy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I'm near Cambridge, England. I was feeding him a wild bird grain mix and then a pigeon mix (dried corn, peas etc) with a bit of grit and shell added, and plain water. He's eaten a lot of raw peanuts too and had free access to food - maybe he's full up. He's still pooping plenty! I've not treated the wound as it was already a few days old when I read up about peroxide etc and a lot of stuff I've read says only to use it on new wounds rather than healing ones. I'll take a good look at the wound tonight and see if there's any sign of infection. The limp is definitely not improving though. I'll take him to a vet if he doesn't look any better soon - it was a nasty wound (a big gouge about 1 1/2 inches across) but I think it was a hawk rather than a cat. The wound must be almost 2 weeks old now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I've just heard from my boyfriend and my pigeon has been sitting down and seems to have eaten some food. He seems very well other than the leg - always very warm and alert. He doesn't mind being held and seems to like being stroked. Hoping he'll stay local when he's better. Turns out he was injured during a race from France to the North of England! This is my first pigeon rescue - had a baby crow (success) and a jackdaw (not) before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.