Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
apparently I am now the official pigeon rescue lady....a friend of mine dropped off a pigeon that cannot fly, seems very disoriented and tilts the head as if it has bad vertigo, also wobbly. I am going to go try a little hydration and give it a thorough exam. seems thin and possibly an old bird.

is this perhaps a head injury? or neck/spine.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
It sounds like he has either head trauma, severe dehydration, PMV, paratyhpoid, meningitis to mention just a few.
Hydrate first with Pedialyte. See how he does. Keep him qiet and warm. I wouldn't keep him for now too warm (no heating pad for now) just in case he has meningitis/encephalitis or head trauma.
Do you have any antibiotics on hand?

Reti

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can anyone help or advise please!!
he/she is very thin as well, how do i feed her if she cant feed herself???

pics, she keeps wobbling her head upside down

Attachments

·
Registered
670 Posts
Looks kind of like PMV, which would mean this bird is with you for the long haul. My most recent PMV patients have also not been able to fly (that's how I found them).

I'd offer seeds in a deep/wide dish. I haven't had one PMV bird not be able to self-feed yet.

Jennifer

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have given some antibiotic as a precaution anyways...was just reading PMV is treatable with baytril....but I guess I have to keep it isolated from my other pigeons!

I still think maybe some food would be good....worried as shes so thin.

Jenn

I meant paratyphoid, not PMV

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've read here that abx therapy can exacerbate PMV symptoms, but I don't know anymore about it than that.

Is she pooping? If she's emaciated and hasn't eaten for a while, I'd get some fluids into her before trying to feed her.

When she's ready to eat, why don't you see if she can eat on her own? It's hard for PMV pigeons to eat in the wild--food tends to be scattered, and it can be difficult for them to pick up each individual morsel. It's much easier when food is in a dish.

Jennifer

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i gave her a couple of syringes ( few mls) of sugar water with a pinch of salt, as I dont have any pedialyte, and gave her a dose of baytril..shes picked up and I think he/she ate some of the soft wheat berries I put in a dish, or at least there was a mess of seeds and I heard pecking.....fingers crossed!! its -30 here at night, I am so happy someone took this sick pigeon in last night. shes not in any pain that I can tell. oh yes the box she came in was green with soft poops.....so not totally starved or dehydrated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts