Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help! I'm new to this board and joined solely for the following reason: I found an injured young (not baby, but young) pigeon in my front yard. It has a wounded wing and a cat was about to grab it so I brought it indoors. I live in Huntington Beach California, is anyone aware of a rehabber in the Orange County/Los Angeles area? I'm doing my best, trying to keep her warm but I don't know really what I'm doing and I'd like to get her adequate care tomorrow. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thank you for helping this pigeon. Please keep him warm, with a heating pad set on low covered by a towel, if possible, to aid in his recovery. Please check tomorrow for more members to respond from your area; we do have members there who can either take him or help with info about a nearby rehabber. ;) As soon as he is warm, you can offer a cup of water with a bit of salt and sugar, which he should be able to drink from himself (you can dip his beak in if you need to in order to get him going as pigeons use their beak like a straw). When he is warm and hydrated, in the morning you can offer him some frozen peas or corn, thawed to room temp, which you may need to feed him with if he doesn't get that they are food. Then keep checking back here until we can find a rescuer nearby you.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
How's the baby doing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's doing ok. I have to work from 8 to 12 so my dad is going to watch her. I've kept her warm in a box with a towel and a lamp with a 60 watt light bulb. She seems to be very calm and is feeling ok. I'd really like to get her in somewhere today because I have a cat and dog and two cats and this whole arrangement makes me nervous. Thank you for the help, I'm calling nature centers and vets who take injured animals but I'd prefer to drop her off with a rehabber.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You can take her to Village Pond Rescue and Rehab. It will be a bit of a drive as it is in Lake Forest. here's the number ...949-584-6696
It's really important that the bird eat. Is she eating on her own?

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
It's A Fledgling Mourning Dove ..

Many thanks to vintagegirlnh and her family for caring for this little one. It's a little Mourning Dove. It's doing fine and is very spunky. vintagegirlnh did a great job of caring for the little one. It will be transferred to a permitted place tomorrow.

Terry

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Wonderful! So glad she got to you and will go to your experienced friend. Great job in saving her, vintagegirlnh!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts