Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an injured pigeon at work 2 days ago. She was on the sidewalk and dragging herself along using her wings, probably trying to get somewhere safe. I put her in a box, gave her some water. There was some blood, so I cleaned with warm water. Put Neosporin and gauze on it and she left it alone for a couple hours. I tried to find somewhere to take her but with no luck. I brought her home, made her a a safe place using a large plastic clear container and locking lid with many many large air holes because I have cats. I put in old towels, water with a pinch of salt and sugar, birdseed & lettuce. She is eating and drinking ( and pooping) well, and pulls herself around the enclosure. I take her back and forth with me to work. So despite the fact that she's getting by, I need to figure out what's wrong with her and if she can be helped. She has one leg which often seems to be off to the side. Could it be broken? Any other possibilities? Ideas on what I can do. Any help much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The legs might be broken. Put a finger inbetween her toes. If she grips your finger, then all is good. If not, then probably broken. You can make her a little hammock to get the feet off the ground, but let the toes touch the floor. You will find photos online. Just make sure the cloaca is open and not covered by the hammock. She might get stressed by this, if she does then rather take her out.

Is there no way you can get her to an avian vet? They might suggest euthanizing, but if you tell them that he is your pet then they need to treat him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. Based on what you said about gripping, it would appear both legs are broken. She does like to sit in her food dish, and that's probably to take pressure off the legs. I called the wildlife numbers around here and no one is taking any more at this time. My vet doesn't work on birds, but told me the name of someone I can try. Called them and they are booking in December and will not see her (emergencies for patients only). They gave me two names, both over an hour away.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Just make her as comfortable as possible. Try the hammock, she probably won't like it. But might get used to it when she realises it's taking the weight of her feet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We were at work when I read your message and I made her a temporary sort of thing and it seemed to help her. She even groomed herself a little. I will try to figure out a more permanent solution now that we are home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He said they are booking in december and only take current "patients" on an emergency basis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not really finding much on line about making a hammock and everything I have tried is not working. She either wiggles out or falls out. We are both getting stressed so we are taking a break. Anyone know how to do this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts