Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there
This is my first time on here and I'm hoping someone can help. We found a wonderful little fella today, he was just sitting in the cark park, we literally walked over him. I stopped to check on him and he was just spinning his head around like he was dazed or concussed. We brought him home (no way was I going to leave him there!) and kept him warm and fed. He feeds well but has trouble locating the food, and is constantly twisting his head around which flicks the food about. He is swallowing though and seems very healthy, bright eyes, no broken or damaged parts that we can find. He is an adult bird as has white on his beak, he is such a sweet little chap :). Can anyone tell me whats wrong with him please?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
It could be one of two things. He may just be in shock from colliding with something. Sometimes this can happen and signs such as you describe will appear for a week or more.

Or, he could have a virus or bacterial infection (fear not, they do not transmit to humans or mammals). In this instance, if viral, it will take some time to shed...perhaps 3 weeks-plus. If bacterial, one would tend to try some antibiotics and see if it has any positive effect.

One important question is this: can you check more closely & see if there is ANY sign of injury to the pigeon ? Scrapes, abrasions, cuts, blood, scabs, scratches, missing feathers....anything like this ? You may well have to ruffle through the feathers to see the skin below...

Am trying to determine whether perhaps the pigeon was attacked....in which case, she/he would need antibiotics pretty quickly (i.e. next 24-48 hrs).

Keep us posted on her/his condition. So far, you have done everything right ! Thanks for caring !

We have many members in the UK (I am assuming this is where you are from) so perhaps someone is nearby to lend a hand....what town/city are you in ????

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi

So far, Jaye has covered it well. I'd reiterate that a location would be good, as there may possibly be a rescue facility within reach.

Are you sure it's a woodpigeon, not a feral? That may have a bearing on establishing a cause of the problem.

Are you giving him seed, or some other food?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Injured Pigeon

Many thank Josh and Jaye for your quick replies, I have just checked on Google images and he/she is a Feral pigeon. And a beautiful one at that! My location is SE Kent in the UK, very near the sea.. does that help?.
I will go and check him/her more thoroughly now for any damage but the last time I looked he was sitting happily looking around my sons room, he seems to have made himself quite at home.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Injured Pigeon

I have checked the bird thoroughly and found that he has some middle feathers missing on his left wing, the other wing is perfect. There are no other signs of damage, no missing feathers, blood or scabs of any kind. I checked his poop and it is a greeny yellow colour in the middle with some clear liquid surrounding this. He has gone very quiet and dopey so have snuggled him up in a well ventellated box with newspaper and an old towel for comfort. Is there anything else I can do for him?

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Hi Sqiffycat69,

If you can, post some images of him himself, and, some good, close-up, in-focus images of his freshest poops.

Is he drinking?

Offer tepid Water...if cool or cold, he may reject it if still young or not feeling well or both.

In fact, he may well be dehydrated, so instead of offering plain Water, please instead make up some rehydration solution, and, offer it "tepid" -

"To 1 liter of boiled water, either tap or filtered, add 2 1/4 level tablespoons of sugar, 3/4
teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda). This
will equal the same calorie count as Pedialyte. And if you want it to be
even a little closer, you could add 1/4 teaspoon of a salt substitute "No
Salt" which is potassium chloride, just check the label and make sure it say
potassium chloride."

This might be quite important for him, so please make and offer the Rehydration Solution for prudence sake.

Illness which can effect their flying co-ordinations, can also occasion flying mis-haps and injuries.

So it is not unusual in some of these instances to see signs of injury which occurred in flying mis-haps, that were caused from the co-ordination issues.

Co-ordination issues can also occur from flying mis-haps, when no prior issues had been present.

So, which came first is not always clear, but, can usually be deduced on further observations of symptoms.

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
There is a lot of Pigeon Paramyxovirus around at the moment. The link will take you to details of the symptoms and treatment. "Zonking out" is also a symptom we often see in them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
injured pigeon (Bob)

OK he is still with us this morning, seems stronger to. Have been giving him tepid saline water and a mix of bird seed and rye bread. I am quite sure now that it is PMV but I will try and post some pictures later on. My youngest son has adopted him and named him Bob. Am I right in thinking he will need anti-biotics if it is PMV? This can be a problem as the vetinary system over is is very expensive and I am on a very low income. Will he get better on his own if we take good care of him? I couldnt bear to see him put to sleep.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
OK he is still with us this morning, seems stronger to. Have been giving him tepid saline water and a mix of bird seed and rye bread. I am quite sure now that it is PMV but I will try and post some pictures later on. My youngest son has adopted him and named him Bob. Am I right in thinking he will need anti-biotics if it is PMV? This can be a problem as the vetinary system over is is very expensive and I am on a very low income. Will he get better on his own if we take good care of him? I couldnt bear to see him put to sleep.
Hi

Antibiotics have no effect with PMV, as that is a virus. They could be indicated if there were good reason to suspect a secondary, bacterial infection. I have never treated a bird with PMV routinely with antibiotics.

If it is PMV, then he would cease to have the active virus after about six weeks from when symptoms first observed. Some birds do retain residual symptoms or have impaired flight even after recovery, due to damage to the nervous system, but if they are in a safe environment and it's ensured that they feed OK they can otherwise be healthy and active.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bob!

I apologise for not posting sooner but its all good news. Bob is getting stronger everyday, he now tries to fly out of his box if you leave the lid open. He is eating and drinking well and loves to be stroked and petted, I am a great bird lover but I never realised just how much character pigeons had, he is a ray of sunshine. Will try and post some pictures later :).

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
That's really good news.
I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of Bob. :)

I wonder if he's been hand reared if he's already happy being petted. Quite often ferals tend to get a bit more wary as they regain their strength, and revert to more of a wild character. He sounds adorable.

Obviously he needs to be kept safe and confined for a good while even if he's showing improvement. If he does have the virus it will take a good few weeks to shed and then as John said he could have mini relapses.

Keep us posted as to how is doing,

Janet

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I never realised just how much character pigeons had, he is a ray of sunshine.
That is the sort of comment that is music to my ears! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bob

The ways things are going Im not sure that we will ever release him :). Are they ok to keep as pets, my usual rule with anything I find injured is to release back once they are strong and healthy but he has become a part of the family already. If we keep him what should we use for a home, I dont like the idea of cages for birds really and would he be ok on his own, they seem such social creatures? Also we are calling him Bob (because he bobs his head a lot) but how do we sex him, dont want him getting confused lol.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
They are fine as pets and he would be a lot safer with you than if he was released because although they are free of the virus after 6 weeks the nervous symptoms can return at times of stress and life as a feral is very stressful.

You could have a cage indoors that he could go in at night and when he wants to (they often choose to do that) or a small aviary in the garden.

John_D has a permanent (feral rescue) pet hen and has had a PMV rescue became very attached to him while he served his quarantine in his flat (the PMV survivor now lives in my aviary). I will ask him to share some of his experiences with Chickpea and Feather.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi

Chickpea, our feral hen, is a permanent resident as she is very attached to me and nervous around other pigeons. From being a soggy, starving squeaker about 8 years back, unable to cope, she seemed to do OK in the aviary, but showed an unusual liking for her humans after a while.

She was pretty run down about a year ago (seemed very depressed, underweight and generally in poor condition), so I brought her home to build her up and she is still here. She goes with me to Cynthia's, but no longer goes in the aviary - it is just too stressful for her.

Chickpea has her room (the bedroom) with a cage she is rarely in - she has her nest on top the wardrobe with plastic eggs and roosts there at night. She gets me fetching twigs (= tobacco stems) and lets me know when she wants some more of her 'special mix' in the food pot. She sees me as her 'big pigeon' mate, really, so I at least pretend to take my turn guarding the eggs :) She takes her henly egg-sitting duties very seriously, but once the three weeks or so is up with nothing hatching, she is all affection, follows me about the flat, preens me and all the normal pigeon stuff. She must think we humans are pretty slow, though, as it took 7 years to get me to take her home :)

Feather had his own thread a while back

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=42420

Once he had decided he liked me, he would coo incessantly for attention. He did get confused, though. I was sure he was a she for quite a while, as he seemed to treat me as a mate too - even building a nest in my armchair. One thing, of course, no eggs :) He, too, was an adult when I scooped him up, but it didn't take long to make himself at home. Pigeons do enjoy home comforts!

These days, he mostly beats me up when he is with other pigeons in the aviary, but reverts to being a softy if he comes back to visit (as he did fairly recently).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts