Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've just aquired a young pigeon who was injured by a cat. He's currently on antibiotics (baytril) for the open would, but he'll never fly due to a broken clavicle. I'm new to pigeon rearing (raised budgies, song birds, and finches) so, I'm heading out to get the pigeon manual, but I was wondering if there are any helpful hints for raising "teenage" pigeons? He hasn't quite grasped how to swallow the food he pecks at so we're handfeeding. How should I set up the perches in the cage? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi

Depends somewhat on what kind of cage, how big, and suchlke.

Our experience is that pigeons prefer flat surfaces rather than rounded perches of small diameter; their ancestral instinct would be to perch / roost on cave ledges. In our 'hospital cages' there's often a couple of shelves - they are actually chinchilla cages - but we also frequently provide pigeons with a good ol' house brick to stand on.

(the recovering pigeon in the top cage here had a broken leg, so was given a soft 'towel nest')

(As an aside, we'd normally use clavamox / synulox as an antibiotic for wounds.)

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your response. My current cages are too small. I'll search for one the size of your cages or possibly a flight cage. The "brick" solution is excellent as I don't believe he will be able to fly to a shelf.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
You can put a shelf down low and he will love it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.