Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just trying to get some ideas on how to get new member's and young members to join. At are meeting I was given the task to recruit new members. I came up with an idea that members could have young kids about 6th-8th grade fly out of their loft and have a separate race for them. You would not believe that a few complained over this and had to set rules. Which I was hoping to get my 14 year-old daughter involved but it came out that you could not have family race. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Southwing

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
That's stupid. Your daughter should be able to race! Can she become a junior member and fly birds out of your loft? Junior members here are given 5 bird shipping limits I think, but full members are allowed to give their extra spaces to them. So my dad joined the club and gave all of his to me - allowing me to ship the full limit like everyone else. Maybe they could do something like that too? Keep the usual combine shipping limit for that loft, but but able to split it up for dad/daughter or son.

These old guys are going to have to change if they want the sport to stick around.

There are some racing promotion fliers and things on the AU website. You can post them around to get some attention. I put them up at places like Tractor Supply and the gas station's bulletin boards. I always write my name and email address at the bottom so they have someone to contact besides the AU.
If you could get the club or other fliers interested in doing a school presentation, that would be a wonderful way to teach kids about pigeons. I'm sure many would be interested in having some for pets. Even if people don't jump right into racing, having them get into pigeons in general, is a good first step. A lot of them will want to compete sooner or later.
One more thing I can think of, if anyone knows of any local pigeon fanciers, you could try inviting them to a shipping night or other get-together the club or combine might have. Showing them that you all aren't a bunch of old grumpsters, might help them get motivated to start :D

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Ask the complainers what are they going to do 3-5 years from now when the club will be needing members to stay a club? pay for shipping?
Give the club numbers for the birds you will fly --numbers for your kids and the birds can not be switched .
Years ago in our club it worked--I made it easy--I flew even numbered birds --my son had the odd numbered birds.
Dallas has 1 club now 10-12 members-but have problems getting 5 members to ship.
10 years ago they had 3-4 clubs-20-30 lofts.
You can release club birds--then 1/2 hour later the juniors.
BUT you will find some people who would complain about being "hung" with a NEW rope.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Out here, it's a lack of property. Most live in the city, as a house with some land is almost always out of price range.

Another is the money for shipping and the cost of the clock. Most folks looking for a new "hobby" wouldn't want to dish out $500 plus for a clock to get started. For younger fliers it's about impossible to come up with this type of money.

I can understand why some may not like the idea of flying two teams (fathers team/sons team) from the same loft. As with the complainers, there are some who will fly two teams and call one his sons'. That's just the way it is. And, the son/daughter will likely be a part of Dad's team anyways, if they like pigeons. I wouldn't call them "new" members even if they paid separate fee's. But, if you have a big enough property with Dad's loft in the front and Son's loft in the back, then I don't see why there would be a problem. Still, it all goes back to integrity and honesty.

Maybe the best way to get the word out for new members would be the local newspaper or other visible outlets. A flyer at the laundry mat. Craigslist. Newspaper ad, etc, etc.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I paid $90 for my clock. I don't see a big problem with allowing manual clocks. It's more fun than ETS anyways. There's nothing more exciting than seeing the first bird come in, running to the loft, snatching that countermark off and popping it in the clock. Well, coming from a junior member...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My club has held an open house, had a booth at the July 4th Sports Tournament, invited curious guys to come to shipping night to experience the sport. We're thinking about getting club t shirts to wear around. Maybe that will spark some interest.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
T-shirts do attract quite a few questions. I have two club shirts. One is just a general TRC shirt, and the other is one advertising our YB auction. The YB one has my name on the front so I'm constantly hearing "Heyyyy, your name is on your shirt!" :rolleyes::p

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Southwing--how many members in your club? How many ship a full season? Set out a season--let them know first hand how 1 senior member and 2-3 junior members could make a difference.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I paid $90 for my clock. I don't see a big problem with allowing manual clocks. It's more fun than ETS anyways. There's nothing more exciting than seeing the first bird come in, running to the loft, snatching that countermark off and popping it in the clock. Well, coming from a junior member...
I'm an older (haha) timer, that hasn't flown in awhile but I totally agree with you.
Kurps

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Hello,

Just trying to get some ideas on how to get new member's and young members to join. At are meeting I was given the task to recruit new members. I came up with an idea that members could have young kids about 6th-8th grade fly out of their loft and have a separate race for them. You would not believe that a few complained over this and had to set rules. Which I was hoping to get my 14 year-old daughter involved but it came out that you could not have family race. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Southwing
Oh gee....I could get up on a soap box and preach for hours on this subject.

I don't have the time here now, to write you a book, but at the risk of coming off as a grand self promoter...might I suggest that you read some of the articles on Sports Promotion, which were published in the RPD. That should provide you with my few cents on the subject.

Here are some links:

http://smithfamilyloft.com/AUSpring08Newsletter.pdf

http://smithfamilyloft.com/News09WoWs.html

http://smithfamilyloft.com/Article5-15-RPD.pdf

http://smithfamilyloft.com/YorkUpdate.html

Finally, are friend Bill from Iowa, took some of the ideas we talked about in the above articles, and he went out and started a club for himself. In the past 12 months or so, he has picked up 22 members, and every month I talk to him, he has more positive ideas and news to share.

http://smithfamilyloft.com/loft-stormers.html

Bottom line, if your club is worried about some 14 year old Jr. members beating them in the races, and want to throw up all kinds of walls and barriers, well....maybe you might just have to go out and start a brand new club from the ground up yourself.

All Jr. members are welcomed at our club, and we are not afraid if your Dad and/or Mom are members also. Far as we are concerned, your whole family can join in the fun. We have some very easy and simple rules, not in an attempt to exclude people, but in an attempt to include, as many people as possible. Which quite frankly, is why some clubs are losing members every year due to death, and they have no new members coming in...because they don't know how to make it fun.

And not to discourage you....but this is not the kind of a project where a club drafts someone to do sport promotion...and then they go about business as usual. They all have to work as a team, as a club, to make their association fun and interesting. Instead of the very typical old guys club.

Good Luck ! :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
new members

As it stands right now I am not in any club but I do have plans to join or start one int the future. I am the only one in the family at this time who has an interest in pigeons for any reason so here's my thought for this summer with my young flyer's. My family has a summer reunion every year and being from a family of ten I have nieces and nephews and even some of them with children being an almost uncountable number. Now, my thoughts are that if I take say 10 good flyers to the reunion and group the kids to pick a band number and award 3 simple prizes for the the winners of the first three birds in without a clock just a video link using yahoo in which they can see the birds enter this would be a good way of showing them how it works (sorta) and maybe get some interested. I was also thinking you could do this with a boy scout outing or any other young group there is, they can have fun and maybe spark an interests. I will for sure be doing this, if nothing else just for my fun with my little friends and it will give them time to fly. The first race is only going to be 62 miles so I am thinking it will happen fast.
I may also be entering some one loft races this year but that is still up in the air, or should I say in the coup;)>Kevin

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
These old guys are going to have to change if they want the sport to stick around.
I'm the youngest one in my club I don't think there's a guy that doesn't have 20 years on me, somehow I was elected president. But I feel like alot of the old guys don't care if the sport sticks around atleast thats how I feel in my club anyway. It seams like alot of these ppl want to kill the sport. Here on long island it's pretty cut throat. And we have feuds between the clubs. My club has almost been killed two times since 1999 when we had over 40 shippers we were down to only a few shippers because of dif b/s but now we're back up to 25 shippers and over 35 members. But it seams like almost all the new ppl leave after a few years because all the b/s the ppl here gotta realize it's us thats keeping the new ppl out and if they realize it the sport might actually grow.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello, sorry I have not been back to respond in a few days been sick, gets a little cold and every one gets sick. Thanks for the all of the great ideas I am going to see how much tee shirts would cost to have made. I got the O.K. today to do a release at the biggest race in the south i believe Cooper River Run. I am trying to get some other things lined up. I think i am going to have a new paper article done on the sport. And then in a few weeks see if can't have cookout in the park for everyone to come to. Thanks For all the great Ideas keeping coming.
Southwing

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I'm the youngest one in my club I don't think there's a guy that doesn't have 20 years on me, somehow I was elected president. But I feel like alot of the old guys don't care if the sport sticks around atleast thats how I feel in my club anyway. It seams like alot of these ppl want to kill the sport. Here on long island it's pretty cut throat. And we have feuds between the clubs. My club has almost been killed two times since 1999 when we had over 40 shippers we were down to only a few shippers because of dif b/s but now we're back up to 25 shippers and over 35 members. But it seams like almost all the new ppl leave after a few years because all the b/s the ppl here gotta realize it's us thats keeping the new ppl out and if they realize it the sport might actually grow.
You hit the nail square on the head !! My solution was to bypass the old established clubs, where as you state is the norm....and start fresh, and build from the ground up. Any oldtimer shows up with an unsportsmen like attitude, he is shown the door. Find five like minded people, who want to start something fresh and new, and form a brand new club. When a bad apple appears, then get rid of it !!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sky tx

We have 10 people and about 6 people ship most of the time. We have had people loss pigeons and could not finish all the races. Could a junior member race as a adult member in races and count.

Southwing

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Sky tx

We have 10 people and about 6 people ship most of the time. We have had people loss pigeons and could not finish all the races. Could a junior member race as a adult member in races and count.

Southwing
A win is a win in our club and combine...but, some clubs and combines are afraid of 14 year old or so Jr. members....so it depends on your organization you race with. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
260 Posts
You hit the nail square on the head !! My solution was to bypass the old established clubs, where as you state is the norm....and start fresh, and build from the ground up. Any oldtimer shows up with an unsportsmen like attitude, he is shown the door. Find five like minded people, who want to start something fresh and new, and form a brand new club. When a bad apple appears, then get rid of it !!!
We have Exactly did the same thing !!! we put up a fresh new club with 5 members, which 4 of us being new flyer and 5th person was my mentor Ron Boyer who from the start have been helping me and other new flyer in this area to start right. We have named our club Wings Over California Invitational Pigeon Racing Club (WOC). They have already voted us in to fly with the 395 concourse combine http://www.395concourse.org/ and we already submitted the required documentation to AU and the Combine. We are just hopping and praying that we can get more new members so that this club will grow more and stay for more generation. things we did to help new flyers is not to charge initiation fee, help them get a clock and help them in training their pigeons.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
My results get put in with everyone else's. There's really only two juniors in my combine who fly, including me. So no junior races here. As far as I know, I'm eligible for all the same things everyone else is in the combine. But if for some reason I'm not, they'll have a very unhappy teenage race secretary on their hands :p
I can see why the old guys would be afraid of new ones beating them. But they shouldn't get grouchy over it. After all their years of doing well, it's time to let others get a chance too. My first two races, I heard every excuse imaginable as to why I beat them. Their birds just 'weren't right' :rolleyes:

Our club is with the IF but the combine flies under AU rules, by the way.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am going to see how things go this year with getting people in the club. They will have to except some changes if not their will be changes the following year. I am making stand up signs to put out on my way to work to promote the club I have also been placing it on Craigs-list.

Southwing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts