Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since bigger bird cages i have found range in the hundreds i was thinking i could used this:

its demensions are: 30inL x 21inWx 24inH
and its only $70USD

or if you think its not big enough there is this one:

36x 24 x 27 $80USD

i can buy perches for it so it really wouldn't be much different then buying a bird cage except for the price.
let me know what you think

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Sure that works indoors, as long as you allow your bird to come and go. You have to be careful if the bars are a bit wide as they can get their heads stuck between the bars, it's happened.

This is not okay for outdoor use, however.

You can try garage sales to locate cages like that at a much cheaper price.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i am going to use it as an indoor cage for my two doves. i noticded that about the bars. i don't think their small heads will get stuck but if the actually tried to squeeze threw i could see them getting stuck. but i will figure something out. maybe ill put chicken fencing on it or something. ill see if theres a problem with them getting stuck first.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
We use cages from what in the UK is 'Pets at Home' (probably still Petsmart in the USA) as our hospital cages. They are actually Chinchilla cages I believe. They are 36 long, 20 deep and 24 high, with two shelves. They work well for a recuperating pigeon. At one point we had two pigeons and even a nestbox in a cage. No idea what the cost would be in the USA nowadays. Here's two stacked in the house ...

John

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Dovelove,
These cages are great; I use same ones for my rehabs. Bar spacing is good for pigeons and doves. Even Senegals are fine with this bar spacing. Only problem is that tray is shallow and seeds get spilled out (more cleaning) but this can be corrected by using no spill feeders.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
That second one especially would be very nice. You can easily buy some (cheap!) screen, such as for windows, in a roll or by the foot, and then just put it over the bars on the outside so they can't stick their heads through. I did the same thing when I had my parakeets in a large parrot cage and it worked like a charm. It's really great to see you actively looking for a nice cage. You are taking such good care of your doves.:)

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
...Only problem is that tray is shallow and seeds get spilled out (more cleaning) but this can be corrected by using no spill feeders.
Since pigeons and doves aren't chewers, you can attach a strip of cardboard around the inside of the crate to create a taller edge for the tray.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Just thought I'd share Willows Cage with you too.

Its the Dog Kennel for Great Danes, 4 feet high by 6 feet long.

I use sand on the bottom now and It works really good for us.I am a FUSS bucket about the poo- so they all get cleaned 1-2x's a day... ((i know-can't help it:rolleyes:) And they are out daily!:cool:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Since pigeons and doves aren't chewers, you can attach a strip of cardboard around the inside of the crate to create a taller edge for the tray.
Oh yea forgot to mention in case you need another idea- I no longer use those dishes in there... I bought the zip lock twistable containers that are plastic and cut out the bottom of the container, so the lid became the bottom, WORKS like a dream, no food/grit waste and best NO mess!... YAHOO!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just thought I'd share Willows Cage with you too.

Its the Dog Kennel for Great Danes, 4 feet high by 6 feet long.

I use sand on the bottom now and It works really good for us.I am a FUSS bucket about the poo- so they all get cleaned 1-2x's a day... ((i know-can't help it:rolleyes:) And they are out daily!:cool:
wow that cage is awesome. it would be perfect for me. they don't have them on the walmart website. i get 10% off there so that where i was looking but depending on a price for that cage i might reconsider. :D

i have a question about your set up. how did you make the "shelves"? the perches look like the ones to can buy in a store right?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yea forgot to mention in case you need another idea- I no longer use those dishes in there... I bought the zip lock twistable containers that are plastic and cut out the bottom of the container, so the lid became the bottom, WORKS like a dream, no food/grit waste and best NO mess!... YAHOO!
i tried a similar thing with ziploc containers. i cut out hole in the lid instead of the bottom though. i still got a mess though. because my doves like to sling the seeds around. so i just went to a different container and it makes the same mess but they get the food easier because it has a slant and the food just keeps refilling in the tray. i don't know what to do about the mess though.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use sand on the bottom now and It works really good for us.
so it works kindof like cat litter? just scoop out the clumps??:p
that sounds so much easier then haveing to dump out the tray everyother day.:D i think ill be switching to that method once i get the new cage.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats a good idea thanks :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Floridaluv, that is a truely amazing cage! lucky birds!

·
Registered
813 Posts
i tried a similar thing with ziploc containers. i cut out hole in the lid instead of the bottom though. i still got a mess though. because my doves like to sling the seeds around. so i just went to a different container and it makes the same mess but they get the food easier because it has a slant and the food just keeps refilling in the tray. i don't know what to do about the mess though.
Here is a picture of the containers that I cut up for my food dishes. It has to be the harder platic ones, I used the ones with the twistable lids (got them at Wal-mart!) Here the pic.

I used an exacto knife to cut the ring out ... leave enough so it curves over the top, that way when they push it around and flick it, it all stays in the dish! As you can see I have very little mess.... and I use this for my doves and pijies! Works great for us!

Also, we had to get the cage at Pets Mart- It is HUGE! And is honestly made for a great Dane...LOL.... Isn't my great dane fericious!!! LOL

The shelves are a shelving unit that you could buy for like a laundry room or pantry, again bought at Wally's.... I put it together and zip tied it to the cage. My Hubby made me shelves out 1/4 inch MDF- and I used the 33 cent sticky tiles from Home Depot to cover them. Makes it really easy to remove them when she poo's on them! And yup- I bought a scooper at Wal-mart that is a strainer spoon, it has a large head and I scoop all the sand to the middle of their cages and sift it. Some say --- too much work. To each is own- I guess. I have found that it's pretty easy!;)

Floridaluv, that is a truely amazing cage! lucky birds!
THANKS! :D

That is a great cage set up!
Thanks, it works really good for me... I can't have a loft due to the HOA here.. GRRR--- SO I have to make due! LOL...be creative my dear hubby says! LOL:D

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yes that dish idea is terrific, I do this for my inside doves, just a smaller container you can't beat it for keeping in the seed that they sling with their beaks....lovely cage set up! keep those pics as I'am sure this subject will come up again and you can post them to newbies wondering how to set up a cage for their bird, this is a perfect example of how and what to do. :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the help it gave me lots of ideas for the new cage when I get it.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Willows cage setup is great. I use the dog crates when I need cages. I put news paper in the bottom and just change it. It's easy, but I like the sand idea. Around the bottom, I added pet screen to stop the seeds coming out as best as I could. The dog kennels work very well. I bought most of mine at Pet Smart. Our Walmart didn't have them large enough.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts