Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I observed something kind of interesting today. I'd put DeeDee (our ringneck) outside on the back porch (in a smaller travel cage) to get some indirect sunlight and fresh air, and when I peeked out the kitchen window, on an (unattached) fence gate that was leaning against the bar-b-que pit--about 10 feet away from him--were four whitewing doves, all sitting in a line next to each other, and just staring at DeeDee. Not cooing, nothing. Just staring. Very weird. Kind of made me feel like they were wondering if DeeDee was some kind of alien. DeeDee was cooing and "talking" like he usually does.

Then, four of them flew off, and the remaining one stayed there, bobbing his head and flicking his tail up in the air over and over. I've never seen DeeDee do the "tail flick" thing. I've seen him practically stand on his head with his tail in the air and twitch his wings while he coos madly, but I've never seen the repeated tail flick. Wonder what THAT meant.

And on the subject of whitewings and ringnecks, I assume they can interbreed? Would their offspring be infertile? Does anyone know how their coos and body behaviors might be different?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts