Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a young 2011 black hen homer hen that is starting to act up and pair with my cock birds. First off, she began prancing at a dominant yellow check 2011 cock bird and they were acting like a pair. The problem is that I did not want her to pair up to the yellow cock bird, so I took the 2011 black homer cock bird that I was originally going to pair her up with and I isolated and blocked up both of them in a pairing section. (the section is already a claimed box of a 2010 silver cock bird) The next day, I went into my loft and checked on them. The two black homers seemed to have paired up, and the cock was attempting to coo her into the nest bowl, but she still looked kind of shy. As he courted her, she bobbed her head and pecked at him, to show him that she is dominant enough to be his mate. When i opened up the section for them, some other birds flew into the pairing box that the black pair was in, and the black homer cock drove off the intruders. The black pair seemed to be a team and fought off others that came into their new box. Until the 2010 Silver cock flew up, back into his area, and the black cock and the silver began intensely fighting. After about 15 minuets of fighting the black pair gives up, and they fly back to their original spots in the loft. Though, the black cock was following his new hen around, they did not have a big enough area to take up so they both just flew back to their perches. I also saw them billing and preening each other so that is a sure sign they are comfortable with each other. The black cock bird soon took up the perch next to the black hens. Two days afterwards i see the hen back with the dominate yellow cock bird again. Even though she sees her black mate, she still would rather be with the yellow cock bird, just because he has a large occupied territory. The yellow cock bird has come to hate the black cock bird and attacks him, whenever the black one tries to drive back his hen. I personally think she likes both of them, but since the yellow is more dominant and has a area, she just decides to stay with him. I also tried to remove the yellow cock bird, and as soon as i did that, the black cock bird is back with his black hen. She prances for both of the cocks, so I am not sure how I am going to get her to only stay with the black cock bird. They are a lot like humans I guess, right now they are just more of dating, and once they live with each other long enough they will stay together and become married.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I don't think she is picking the yellow because he has a large area. Don't think that has anything to do with why she is choosing him. I have read articles that feral pigeons pick more by color. If she is light, will pick a darker mate, so that her babies will blend in more in the flock. It was interesting. But I think it is more the bird than the area they have secured.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it is more of the area and dominance of the yellow cock bird. She is a black hen, not a light colored hen. I know she went the yellow one because he seemed aggressive and drove other birds away from the area. I am trying to make her stay with the black cock bird so I have separated them two.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I have put them all back together now, I guess she is staying with the black cock for the most part right now. I saw her ignore and peck at the yellow cock bird, so that is a sign that she is "taken" haha. Now I have to find the yellow one a female so he wont be so lonely. I actually took out the yellow cock bird and when I put him back the black cock bird won over his area, I feel bad, but I will introduce the yellow to a new area and get him a new female.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts