Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A homing pigeon showed up on my back door and would not leave. I have tried in vain to get in touch with the owner via the band on his leg. I now have a new pet and I find that the bird is facinating. My question is - - are pigeons social like horses or can they exist alone and be content? If the bird needs companions, how do you introduce new birds to this one?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
A homing pigeon showed up on my back door and would not leave. I have tried in vain to get in touch with the owner via the band on his leg. I now have a new pet and I find that the bird is facinating. My question is - - are pigeons social like horses or can they exist alone and be content? If the bird needs companions, how do you introduce new birds to this one?
Hello and Welcome to Pigeon Talk,

Thank you for befriending this lost bird.

Yes, pigeons are very social creatures and usually live in flocks.

You don't have to get a whole flock one or two other birds will do.

Any new bird you acquire should be quaranteened for a month, just as a precaution, in case of disease.

We usually introduce pigeons, first by letting them see each other from seperate cages, then after a week, allowing them some contact with supervision until they get along. 2 male pigeons will try to dominate and they can fight about territory and more, two hens are your best bet, but if you already have a male, a hen will do...but you know they will couple and then you will have eggs. Something to think about....

For more information on the care of pigeons please check the RESOURCES section in the daily forum, and also homing racing forum, in birds for SPORT section..

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mozart....Welcome to the Wonderful World of Pigeons (and Pigeon Talk)....if you decide to get another piji companion, check out the adoption forum and let folks know where you are located. Often, a PT member can set you up with a suitable bird....but be careful...this is addictive!:eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.