Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I couldn't hold out any longer - after talking with my husband about an ad for some ringneck doves on Craig's List we agreed to adopt these two lovely ladies :) A mother and daughter team -- the mother (Juliet - white) is about 6 years old and the daughter - Noel is about 8 months. I've been about as excited as a kid on Christmas morning for the past week (bless Christin for listing to me :) And for all her advice on Cage, food, nesting materials, etc.)

They came home with me today and have spent the afternoon settling into the new digs - spending lots of time eating, drinking, and preening on the top perch. They've ventured into the nesting basket once or twice but then back to the mid-level or top perch. They were cooing almost immediately - and I finally got to HEAR a laugh after reading about it and trying to figure out what that would sound like :p Made ME laugh!!

They are just the cutest pair though!!! I'm sure I'll be asking questions along the way too but for now all seems healthy (yes - poop looks like it should :) ).

A few pictures attached here - the rest are at http://picasaweb.google.com/Dezirrae/JulietAndNoel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
They are very pretty, and I love the names...but I would never guess they were related, they definitely don't look like sister and mother. :)

Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed it.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
HOW SUPER DUPER, DEZIRRAE!!

I can certainly understand your excitement. Juliet and Noel are REALLY LOVELY!!

How fun that you got to hear the laugh...so hysterical that one can't help but laugh BACK!! :D

Now comes the fun part for us too...UPDATES with pictures...;)

With Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi & Squeaks

:D :D

P.S. Is NOEL the one who laughed? She looks so much like the ones I heard!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Awww, pretty girls!!! I am totally on your wave length, I just got my baby pigeon today! Isn't it wonderful!?!
I wish you and your girls years of happiness and love. They are lookers!:D

·
Registered
500 Posts
YIPEE!
The girls look beautiful and happy! They remind me so much of Rally and Ally!
I'm sure you're having a great time with them, thanks for taking time to post the great news! I agree that they sure don't look related whatsoever. :confused: Maybe the lady was misinformed???

Forgot to mention that I had to put some plastic cut out water bottles for the food and water to prevent poops from getting in (PT member Phil posted the idea a few months back and it works great!)...they also have ones that are partially covered and attached to the cage with a screw knob at pet stores...the small size works fine. I use 2 for seed and 1 for water.

Also, found out on the other thread a little while ago NOT to give cracked corn...just whole corn. :eek:

I'm going over to your webalbum now to see more pics of your beauties! Noel is a lovely name due to the season....I love Juliette as well!

AND...
Roxy, Congratulations on your new baby! Have any pics?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for you kind comments :) This is the start of a journey I'm sure going to enjoy - they are fascinating. And of course will have regular updates & pictures.

Roxy - I am SOOOO thrilled your baby is home with you now too! Must see more pictures - she is just gorgeous!

.but I would never guess they were related, they definitely don't look like sister and mother.)
I wouldn't have guessed either though I sure hope they are - yesterday Noel jumped on Juliet's back at one point - if the previous owner was mistaken somehow I may be in for a surprise (do two females "mount" each other??) :eek:

How fun that you got to hear the laugh...so hysterical that one can't help but laugh BACK!! Is NOEL the one who laughed? She looks so much like the ones I heard!
I'm not really sure - but this morning it was Juliet that was laughing and cooing... just toooo funny!

I agree that they sure don't look related whatsoever. Maybe the lady was misinformed???
Forgot to mention that I had to put some plastic cut out water bottles for the food and water to prevent poops from getting in (PT member Phil posted the idea a few months back and it works great!)...they also have ones that are partially covered and attached to the cage with a screw knob at pet stores...the small size works fine. I use 2 for seed and 1 for water.
Also, found out on the other thread a little while ago NOT to give cracked corn...just whole corn. :eek:
As always Christin - thank you!! I guess I'll find out whether the previous owner was correct or not shortly - could be an interesting time :p I do remember the cut out bottle post - I may try that but for now I haven't noticed them pooping in the food (yet). Headed over to the pet store later though for some oyster shell and to look for other platform perches that I can set up high - they seem to like height so far. The lady did give me a half bag of Kaytee dove supreme food so I kept the cracked corn and wild bird seed for the outside group - but thank you for telling me; I missed the post about the cracked corn vs whole corn.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Absolutely adorable and beautiful!

The laugh always has me in stitches. I have a friend who has a lot of doves and when they all start laughing I laugh right along with them - they sure make a lot of noise.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Congratulations on your new cuties. :D And to Roxy on your new cutie! :D We want more pictures!! Doves are so fun to have, they're funny and curious little birds. Just wait until they start staring at their feet. Every dove I've ever had seems to love his own feet. Then they look up at you like, "Have you seen what nice feet I have? They're so cute and pink!" :cool:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Juliet and Noel are just stunning! Nice cage too!

Looking forward to more pics! It sounds like they have settled in fine already!

Lindi :)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Renee - thank you for alieviating my fears that I may be faced with babies... think Dave & I need to adjust to these two first ;) Though I do think it will go quickly.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments - they ARE so much fun to have even after only 24 hrs. They had their first "free fly" time in the room while I cleaned up poop today (Oooo now that's fun time stuff :rolleyes: -- thank goodness that Dove poops are not smelly than some of Mr. Weiderman and Lacey's poops). Also found two baskets around the house that we rigged to the side of their cage - should be happier sleeping tonight :)

And of course - more pictures :D

By the way - Juliet has stains on her feathers that the previous owner tells me are the result of Juliet being pooped on (either from Noel or one of her other birds). Previous owner said she gave Juliet a bath but not all the stains came off. Does this ring true to any of you? The stain has kind of a rust tint to it and it just doesn't seem like poop related to me (but that's just my gut reaction).

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
The pics are great, Dez....thanks for sharing!
That first pic could be a contest winner!

They look so cozy in their basket together!

Rally is always jumping on Ally's back...that's why I thought they were male and female. I'm glad Renee' shared with us that females do that also. Like you said, 'We shall see'! Though, I will probably replace the eggs with the fake ones since I don't have anymore room for additional birds.
I guess that's why I enjoy so much the baby arrival posts/pics! Besides, if everything didn't go perfectly well with a baby, I'd be cracking more teeth! LOL

I think it's so great that you can have them fly around in the room. I am having such a hard time bird proofing my room...just too much stuff and no where else to put it. I've purchased yet another heater for my other gazebo so that Rally & Ally can enjoy flying around even when it's really cold. I previously had a small chiminea fireplace to heat up the place, however, wouldn't be good for them. The heater I got works on propane so I'm not sure if that's gonna work either...I have to check out about fumes. :confused:
The gazebo outlet is shared with the bunny barn and will not support 2 electric heaters.:(

About the rust colored stains, not sure about that being poops. Can you post a close-up pic of the area so that maybe we can determine what it might be? Doesn't sound like poop stains. Coco had alot when I first got him...they were green.

The main thing is that all our sweethearts are healthy and seem happy!
And most of all, home safe and sound! AMEN!

Juliet and Noel would also make a beautiful Holiday card!;)

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Dezirrae, thanks for the latest pictures. They are so beautiful together.

The stain on the feathers may not come off until she fully moults. Do you know if the people who owned them before fed them the fruit-blend Zupreem which has yellow, red and green pellets? Our pigeons love the stuff and if they eat very much their poop looks reddish.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thank you Christin and Maggie for the advice about what the rust colored stains might be -- I think Maggie you may be right... they love shredded mild cheddar cheese and I also bought a bag of Hartz Small Bird treats with Papaya, Carrots & Apples. Lo & behold, last night Dave and I noticed similar colored stains on the white paper towels we have lining the bottom of their cage. So yes, I do suspect it's "food" related and not health related now... WHAT a relief!!

I swear they just get cutier every day! And Dave is beyond "hooked" now... we shopped online last night and ordered a newer, bigger cage for them... a corner unit; really unique design. Should be here sometime next week. We'll move the one we have onto the back deck so that if we can any "Indian Summer" days this winter they can get some outside time.

We have moved their cage into our living room/computer area so that we spend more "quality time" together. They seem to be liking it more. The kitties seem to be enjoying it more too :) LOL... Mr. Weiderman (pictured below) just stares - fascinated. Our other kitty - Lacey - is a little more aggressive and is going to get water bottle spray soon to break her of the habit of sticking her darn nose right up to the cage. The bars are close enough that she can't really get her paw through, and as you see we have the bottom portion of the cage covered for now til everyone settles in a little more.

Good luck with the heaters Christin - I hope the gazebo is warm enough for Rally & Ally to get some "fly time". And I wouldn't really say my room is "bird proofed" yet ;) But they were only out for about 15 min while I cleaned the cage. I have some serious bird-proofing to do in that room too. But they won't get much free fly time just yet anyway - I read someone that they need about 2 to 4 weeks to really settle into a new home and may actually hurt themselves if left to free fly too soon. We'll see though - Dave feels so bad that they don't have enough room to exercise that we may do short stints from tme to time ;)

Did you have to wait for Coco to moult before the green stains came out? Or how did you clean it off? Also, I'm wondering how soon I might expect to see eggs... I need to order some "fake eggs" soon. Juliet was "mounting" Noel the other day - so nice to see they share - LOL.

Absolutely AMEN Christin!! Especially with the layer of snow we got last night it's a blessing that everyone is home -- safe, happy, healthy, and warm :)

[more photos of course on my picassa page]

·
Registered
500 Posts
Awwwww! Great pictures!

So cute how Noel has his/her wing around Juliet...or is it the other way around???
You really are good at capturing pics of them!
Little kitty is so cute too!

I had the people at Petco clean Coco the first time and then my sister came and cleaned him for me. I was scared to do it. After that, he took his own baths and then as Maggie stated, after his molt, he was all clean.

Still waiting for the shipping label to return the broken heater....for now, I have an oil heater in the Co-Hop. Big pain to attach the enclosure fencing around it so they don't get near it. UGH! Still have to research about the propane heater before using it in the other gazebo for Rally and Ally.

Wow, I can't believe you guys are getting an even larger cage! Sounds great. Please post a pic when you get it...I was thinking of getting another one also! These guys sure have us wrapped around their little claws!!! LOL

Glad Dave has joined in the fun!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Some of those stains, that I can see from the pictures, are blood. White ringnecks have very delicate skin, and when transferred from one cage to another, or getting used to a new area, they bump into stuff like clumsy teenager humans when you move the furniture. This causes bleeding in the pin area of the feathers on the edges of the wings, causing stains.
Some of the other areas, base of tail, ends of tail feathers, could just have natural differences in coloring. Bull-eyed whites aren't entirely white. They have peach or yellow 'stains' on the tail area, especially the underside of the tail, and sometimes grey-peach-yellow rings on the neck that are barely visible. Sometimes, you see them but sometimes you don't.

My five laugh and coo almost constantly, when they aren't kissing eachother. I think three of mine have a love triangle going. One will coo, two will fly over, and they all start co-preening. Weird. Maybe they all look alike and can't figure out who they love.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So cute how Noel has his/her wing around Juliet...or is it the other way around???
Thanks Christin :) LOL - it is the other way around... Juliet (Mom) is the white one. Funny you should mention Petco too - that's where we were last night getting them a new perch (wound up with a few other goodies - but still can't find crushed oyster shells - going back to Petsmart today to see if they do have any - otherwise will order online) and then onto Walmart for a new nesting basket (Dave wanted them to have a larger one ;) ). To say he's "joined in the fun" is an understatement (but it is so cute to watch him get "hooked") -- yes - they sure do have us wrapped around their little claws.

One of the moderators on the Dovepage.com forum gave me a "recipe" for a bath that may help with the staining on Juliet's feathers... I may start a new thread with that one since I know others have Doves here on PT and may find it useful. I'm still a hesitant on the bath front... I do have a bowl with about 2" water in it in their cage but so far they haven't been very interested in a bath. I don't want to stress them any more than necessary at this stage so I'm letting them take that at their own pace.

Good luck with the heater issue!! I hope the broken heater gets fixed very soon (sure you do too :) ). Give Rally and Ally a warm "hug" for me.

Some of those stains, that I can see from the pictures, are blood. White ringnecks have very delicate skin, and when transferred from one cage to another, or getting used to a new area, they bump into stuff like clumsy teenager humans when you move the furniture. This causes bleeding in the pin area of the feathers on the edges of the wings, causing stains.
Some of the other areas, base of tail, ends of tail feathers, could just have natural differences in coloring. Bull-eyed whites aren't entirely white. They have peach or yellow 'stains' on the tail area, especially the underside of the tail, and sometimes grey-peach-yellow rings on the neck that are barely visible. Sometimes, you see them but sometimes you don't.
OMG Phil -- if it is caused by bleeding in the pin area is there a chance of infection? Is there anything I should do for it? Thank you so much for mentioning that - I didn't realize that could happen.

I did check out the bull-eyed white on the IDS web site (by the way, Caroo from Dovepage.com suggested the same possibility) but Juliet's iris is definitly not black -- it's orange/redish. Then again - if the same feather coloration is there after the next moult I guess that will answer that question.

I remember reading your posts when you were setting up your aviary - do you have updated pictures of it? Dave and I are talking about enclosing our lower deck (translation - means we will be doing it :p ) in the spring to give them a nice flight area so tips are very welcome!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts