Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
I actually think your doves might be just colored by food issues, it might not be blood but if it was you could put some neosporin on it.

My first aviary was completely unsuitable for dove habitation. I have to build a new one. If you do look at the pics of mine, make yours completely different. Thinking of one raised off the ground by a full 2 brick high block base, with the base filled in with gravel and topped off with turf. Kitty Litter under the perches, tighter wire in a 1/4 inch hardware cloth. I want to make it in a 'half shed' shape, backed up to the bay window in the living room, with perches in the gable area for shelter. I might put steel bars around the lower half. A coyote pack has been spotted in our neighborhood, and the old flight won't do AT ALL. Birds love fresh air, but at what cost?

I'd just let my pet chickens out for a treat yesterday, and now Paris is dead and Nicole is in the hospital recovering from an attack right in front of me in broad daylight. Now nothing short of a bunker will satisfy me, and I'm getting started this week. I'm very distraught about the poor hen being carried off from my newly fortified yard! The doves are safely behind metal at this point, and haven't felt threatened. In fact, I found an egg today, my first.

·
Registered
500 Posts
DITTO ON THE OMG!

I am praying this is not the case for poor Juliet about blood!!! However, thankful that Phil brought it to our attention....I definitely have to get Rally and Ally a larger cage to prevent anything like that happening! Thanks Phil for the heads-up!

Yes, Dez, please share about the bath....Coco is all clean, however, Ally still has greyish/black stains from her 11 day 'outing'!!!:rolleyes:

About the freaking heater....they no longer make the model I wanted! Unbelievable! They now only have that model in a refurbished stock. The reason I don't like the one they presently offer is because if you lose power for just a second, it resets to the highest setting and if I'm at work it might be hours before I get home to reset it. I had one like that in the bun barn and once I came home and it was 88 degrees and all the windows were shut. So here I go again searching for a heater. For now the oil one is just ok....just that the enclosure is a pain to get to the heater and I worry about Coco & Hoppy getting stuck as well as the metal getting sooooo hot. Not really safe. I also have another convection type one that I can try...remains cool on the outer sides but have to think about something for the top where the hot air comes out. :confused:

Today I saw a family of 3 mice hanging out under the Co-Hop and when I opened the door, one ran in. Had to quickly get Coco and Hoppy into some carriers and chase the little mouse out. So tomorrow I have to get a trap and capture them one at a time and put them in a little mouse carrier and bring them over to the lake together as not to break up the little mouse family. Just what I wanted to do on a Saturday!!!:mad:
At least tomorrow will be a little sunny and warmer for Rally and Ally to get out to the gazebo!:)

So sorry about mixing Noel and Juliet up! They both look so happy and content. About your curious kitty....just show him extra attention and he'll come to love the doves like Dave did! LOL

Sounds like you guys are enjoying your new additions which is such a Blessing!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Dez,

You doves are simply beautiful. Thank you for all the pictures. I love the one where they are both sitting in the basket, each facing a different direction.

Margaret

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'd just let my pet chickens out for a treat yesterday, and now Paris is dead and Nicole is in the hospital recovering from an attack right in front of me in broad daylight...In fact, I found an egg today, my first.
Phil - I am soooooo very sorry to hear about Paris and Nicole. I can imagine how upset and sad you are :( What attacked them?? Good luck with the new avairy though - I love the idea of it backing to the window. AND congrats on finding your first egg!! How exciting -- we had our first egg arrive last night too. Being two females I know it's not fertile - are you going to let your's develop? Wonderful to have something positive on an otherwise very sad day.

Today I saw a family of 3 mice hanging out under the Co-Hop and when I opened the door, one ran in. Had to quickly get Coco and Hoppy into some carriers and chase the little mouse out. So tomorrow I have to get a trap and capture them one at a time and put them in a little mouse carrier and bring them over to the lake together as not to break up the little mouse family.
Juliet's feathers do seem to be getting less stained, but we'll be keeping an eye on them (at least any coloration change shows up very quickly). No worries at all about getting them mixed up - Dave still does & often just calls them "birds" or "ladies" - LOL

Mr. Weiderman and Lacey are adjusting, slowly, but adjusting... Lacey is getting the water bottle spray every now & then because she is a bit more "aggressive" (no matter how much "mashing" - a.k.a. atttention - she gets). But thank you for the tip - we do tend to forget that the current kids need extra attention when new ones arrive ;)

Sorry to hear the news about the heater -- Maybe check out craig's list - see if there are heaters for sale there? Also - check out Craig's List for cages if you are looking for a larger one... For example (in Bloomfield) http://newjersey.craigslist.org/for/497780754.html

Are you near Bergenfield?? Check out this ad: http://newjersey.craigslist.org/for/500397587.html

Sorry to hear about the little mouse family (though they sure sound cute - I know being in/near the Co-Hop isn't the place for them. Hopefully trapping and transporting won't take up too much of your Saturday - it's wonderful to have it even a little warmer out there! So sweet of you to be thoughtful enough to not break up the little family. My feral flock of mourning Doves are sure loving it already!

Later we'll head up to PetSmart for some calcium supplement and other goodies (see above for why ;) ) -- but will be stopping by "Bird" feral family and putting out a food for them. I'll have Dave's camera with me in case Bird is around ;) Guess s/he was sort of my "muse" -- LOL. **Don't say anything too loud, but after we enclose the lower deck in the Spring Dave may be interested in having a pigeon or two** Sssshhhhhh LOL

Hope you and Rally, Ally, Coco, and Hoppy enjoy the warmer weather today!!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Dez,

You doves are simply beautiful. Thank you for all the pictures. I love the one where they are both sitting in the basket, each facing a different direction.

Margaret
Thank you so much Margaret :) Last night Noel (darker one) gave us our first egg! Dave and I do have a few questions so I'll be starting another post about that (new "egg-ma and pa" :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Dezirrae, the stains on the feathers in no way look like blood to me. Usually when feathers break off and bleeding occurs it is pretty limited to the exact area of the break. Still looks like poop stain to me.

·
Registered
984 Posts

This is my new egg. I'm pretty sure it is fertilized and I am going to let them incubate, since I am down 2 birds now. New years babies.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Experiment then: Rub some poop on a fallen feather. Wash it off and check what color it stains. Then try it with a few other substances...food, pellets, etc. That aught to solve the mystery. :p

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Beautiful photos, Dezirrae! We have rescued ringneck doves too and enjoy them very much. I like the beautiful big parrot cage you have them in. We have a similar cage, but no place to put it. In addition to our other cage birds, we have a little white dove, Bianca, in the house now. She's very tame and likes to roam the kitchen, but I only let her out when there are no hot burners, nothing cooking, etc.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This is my new egg. I'm pretty sure it is fertilized and I am going to let them incubate, since I am down 2 birds now. New years babies.
:D How adorable -- I can't wait to see the photos of the little one and (of course) hearing all the progress reports! Great photo too Phil. Is the mate white as well?

Dezirrae, the stains on the feathers in no way look like blood to me.
That is a relief Maggie... and Phil - I do see alot of similar color stains on the white paper towels on the bottom of the cage near the "treat" bowl. So I suspect it's related to the mild cheddar cheese that they love so much :rolleyes:

Beautiful photos, Dezirrae! We have rescued ringneck doves too and enjoy them very much. I like the beautiful big parrot cage you have them in. We have a similar cage, but no place to put it. In addition to our other cage birds, we have a little white dove, Bianca, in the house now. She's very tame and likes to roam the kitchen, but I only let her out when there are no hot burners, nothing cooking, etc.
Thanks Birdmom4ever :) Dave decided we needed to buy an even roomie cage for them as a Christmas present :rolleyes: Should arrive (hopefully) sometime next week. These are going to be two very spoiled ladies (Daddy's girls?? LOL). I love it though - and am so happy he's enjoying them as much as I am and knew I would. I do remember reading about Bianca -- was she tame when you got her (sorry I can't recall if you raised her from a squab or rescued).

By the way - do you give your ringnecks any special supplements in the winter that differ from the pigeon supplements?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Bianca is ours, raised by her parents, hatched September 10, 2007. We've had a few other babies from our rescued doves but I found good homes for them. I had to give them away because we don't have a big dove aviary (just individual pens) and their parents picked on them once they reached maturity. I don't have the heart to part with Bianca. She's the only pure white we've raised and she's tame and sweet. Her dad, Peaches, is a pied and his mom, Marilyn, is a pure white and was also a rescue. We got her from the San Jose Animal Shelter and my other adult doves came from other Bay Area shelters.

Bianca's left foot is deformed. All four toes point forward and what should be the rear-facing toe is stiff. But she is otherwise very healthy. Her mom inexplicably plucked out all Bianca's head feathers as they started coming in. I don't know why Petra did this because she and Peaches had another set of chicks last year and they were good parents to them. But with this batch, they were awful. Prior to picking on Bianca they killed her nest mate. :( It was healthy when hatched but I found it thrown to the bottom of the cage the next morning, very cold and nearly dead. I put it back in the nest and thought it would survive, but it didn't. Bianca hatched that same day and we were excited when her feathers came in all white. Then Petra started plucking her, so I had to remove her as soon as she started eating on her own.

I use Kaytee's dove mix as a starting point, but I think it's a little light on protein so I usually supplement them with extra safflower, especially in winter, and canary seed mix, which they love.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'd just let my pet chickens out for a treat yesterday, and now Paris is dead and Nicole is in the hospital recovering from an attack right in front of me in broad daylight. Now nothing short of a bunker will satisfy me, and I'm getting started this week. I'm very distraught about the poor hen being carried off from my newly fortified yard! The doves are safely behind metal at this point, and haven't felt threatened. In fact, I found an egg today, my first.
OH NO! Phil! I missed this post from you...then while reading the posts afterward, I saw Dezirrae offering condolences!!!
What happened Phil???
How awful for you to witness such a horrible attack...and by whom, may I ask?

Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I posted all about it in the "Other pet birds" section of this forum. Obviously my neighborhood has become too dangerous to have animals outside. Months go by and nothing happens, then the neighbor cat died of old age and all the sudden coyotes and feral bloodthirsty cats start roaming my yard.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Bianca is ours, raised by her parents, hatched September 10, 2007. We've had a few other babies from our rescued doves but I found good homes for them. I had to give them away because we don't have a big dove aviary (just individual pens) and their parents picked on them once they reached maturity. I don't have the heart to part with Bianca. She's the only pure white we've raised and she's tame and sweet. Her dad, Peaches, is a pied and his mom, Marilyn, is a pure white and was also a rescue. We got her from the San Jose Animal Shelter and my other adult doves came from other Bay Area shelters.

Bianca's left foot is deformed. All four toes point forward and what should be the rear-facing toe is stiff. But she is otherwise very healthy. Her mom inexplicably plucked out all Bianca's head feathers as they started coming in. I don't know why Petra did this because she and Peaches had another set of chicks last year and they were good parents to them. But with this batch, they were awful. Prior to picking on Bianca they killed her nest mate. :( It was healthy when hatched but I found it thrown to the bottom of the cage the next morning, very cold and nearly dead. I put it back in the nest and thought it would survive, but it didn't. Bianca hatched that same day and we were excited when her feathers came in all white. Then Petra started plucking her, so I had to remove her as soon as she started eating on her own.

I use Kaytee's dove mix as a starting point, but I think it's a little light on protein so I usually supplement them with extra safflower, especially in winter, and canary seed mix, which they love.
That is so sad what the parents did to Bianca's sibling - I'm so glad that Bianca made it though AND is so wonderfully tame with you. Such a cute visualization to picture her flying around the house with you. Do you use any type of "diaper" with her while she's loose? We'd like to let these ladies free fly in the house after more settling in time - but are a wee bit nervous about the poop issues - I'm looking into Boni's diapers but haven't emailed her yet with questions.

Thanks for the food suggestions! I was using Kaytee's dove mix and also safflower (they don't seem overly excited by the safflower). I did pick up some Canary seed mix and the LOVE that! Almost as much as the love the shredded mild cheddar cheese I give them (gone almost within a 1/2 hr. from when I put it in their treat bowl).

The new cage showed up yesterday -- and I think our eyes were bigger than... hmmm, well, just bigger than something. This thing is HUGE! We may have gone a tad bit over the top (so to speak), but the do seem to enjoy it - they can sure fly in there! And laughing every time they fly up to one of the high perches. More pictures are at http://picasaweb.google.com/Dezirrae/JulietAndNoel

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
My goodness, that cage is HUGE. I bet your doves are really enjoying flying around in there. I haven't considered a diaper yet for Bianca. Her poops are so small that they aren't much of a problem to clean up and we only let her out when we're there to supervise. I bought her a small parrot toy today because I've seen how curious she is when she's out. She's attracted to the bright colors on cereal boxes, etc. She went right to the toy and started pulling on it and making the bell ring.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Well, to YOU, Dez, the cage may be HUGE, but I bet to Juliet and Noel, they are in birdie HEAVEN!! WHAT A WONDERFUL HOME FOR THEM!!

ENJOY, PRETTY BIRDIES!!

:D :D :D :D

Shi & Squeaks

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
there is plenty of room for more now......:p
Heheheeee.... :p Thank goodness Dave hasn't realized there was a "method to my madness" yet ;) I'll be eassssiiing into that concept the next few weeks...

They are loving it right now though.

BTW -- just how long will they incubate the "fake eggs". I've managed to replace all four but an just curious how soon they'll realize they're sitting on wood.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Heheheeee.... :p Thank goodness Dave hasn't realized there was a "method to my madness" yet ;) I'll be eassssiiing into that concept the next few weeks...

They are loving it right now though.

BTW -- just how long will they incubate the "fake eggs". I've managed to replace all four but an just curious how soon they'll realize they're sitting on wood.

I LOVE that cage. My little Walley would be in heaven!!
As far as the eggs.........they'll never really actually figure out that the eggs are wood.............only that after the allotted time ( I believe it's a little less for doves than pigeons) about 14 or 15 days, they'll know the eggs aren't going to hatch and will just leave them. That's the way it's SUPPOSED to work anyway. I did have a young hen a couple of years ago that sat on her eggs for over 30 days. Supposed to be 19 for a pigeon. She didn't want to go out and fly, just sit on eggs.........:rolleyes: so I finally just had to take them away. You won't have to do that though. My birds race so she REALLY needed to be out exercising and I finally had to force her to do that.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts