Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have just noticed something on one of my pigeons. Since my pigeons had been losing weight a couple of weeks back, their sternums (the long bone extending from the crop to the femur) are kind of clearly "feel-able" now. Ive noticed that while 2 of my pigeons have straight sternums, one of them has an almost S shaped one, which is also bend to the site almost 45 degrees at one point! Since my pigeons were quite healthy a few months back, I have absolutely no idea how this particular pigeons sternum was prior to this.

My question is - is this normal? Im sure some irregularities are present in all birds, but to what extent? The bird behaves normally otherwise, and can fly normally.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
That's an abnormality that sometimes happens. I think they commonly call it "bent keel". I seem to remember a racer once saying that he'd had a pretty good bird that had a bent keel although most racers believe that they're no good.

Pidgey

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think.....
The Bent Keel happens after birth whilest still in the nest when the perants are sitting on the youngsters they are either sitting to hard or.....
The bending of the keel happens when no nest bowl or nesting material is provided it is misshaped by what ever it is up against.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts