Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone on pt a vet? i want to go to college to become a vet and need some info or advice

·
Registered
131 Posts
Try to get a job at a vet hospital first, a multi-doctor one if you can. See if it's really something you still want to do. After I worked my first vet technician job, I realized being a vet wasn't for me. I always wanted to work with animals, so everyone asks me if I "have thought" about becoming a vet. Now I've worked 10 years as a Registered Vet Tech, the answer is that I have no desire to be a vet. Often the technicians spend more working directly with the animals, a vet spends a lot of time working with the people and doing paperwork. But some of the techs I work with do plan on attending vet school.

My point is there is a lot going on behind the scenes at veterinary hospitals that most of the public is not aware of. You really have to get involved to get a sense of what it's all about. Also, partly because of that, vet schools rarely accept students that have little or no experience. I'm not trying to discourage you, it may turn out to be exactly the right profession for you. That would be great! If you are game to try a vet hospital job first, and then decide you want to pursue it further, the people you work with will certainly be happy to help you get on that path :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i was looking into volunteering at a few places like a vets office, equestrian, or a animal adoption place. i have pretty good grades nothing below an 85. and the only real reason i want to be a vet is because i love animals and need to have a job dealing with animals. i looked into being a zoo keeper or owning a refuge center but feel they dont make enough money for the things i want to do in life. mainly having a huge farm and saving animals and having pigeons:)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
After 7 or so years of college, hopefully I'll be a certified avian veterinarian. Already made one diagnosis today. One of our club members gave another member a hen at the meeting. Held the bird to see what I thought about it, and felt something under the tail. Took a look and a giant tapeworm appeared. That just made my day :rolleyes: Not something I normally want to touch, haha.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Go for it man! I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
After 7 or so years of college, hopefully I'll be a certified avian veterinarian. Already made one diagnosis today. One of our club members gave another member a hen at the meeting. Held the bird to see what I thought about it, and felt something under the tail. Took a look and a giant tapeworm appeared. That just made my day :rolleyes: Not something I normally want to touch, haha.
I'd say you've got what it takes! Now go get it, girl!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
good luck! I love the large animal medicine as well. I thought I wanted to be a vet, but I hate school...so that did'nt work out.. good luck in your adventure...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
good luck! I love the large animal medicine as well. I thought I wanted to be a vet, but I hate school...so that did'nt work out.. good luck in your adventure...
me too!! lol
i also thought i was too sensitive to deal with death, and suffering, and that i wouldn't be able to handle it, turns out i was wrong about that judgment of myself, being a rehabber i have learned to deal with things i never thought i was strong enough to deal with
i do know it is very difficult to get accepted to vet school, so you need to buckle down and be the at top of your class.
the more experience you have with animals the better.
don't forget about us lowly, broke rehabbers when your a successful veterinarian

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats everyone i really want to be a vet but i also wana be a k9cop its so hard to pick thanks again for your help

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi there, just found this post. Im a veterinary student in the UK so not the best person when it comes to the US but my cousin who lives in arizona also wants to be a vet and she sent me this link: http://www.ehow.com/how_2120331_become-veterinary-surgeon.html

Its basic and requirements differ at every college but its a start. I would say if you want to do it, whatever happens, stick to it. If I'd have listened to my teachers I would have given up years ago.

You will succeed!!!
Good luck for the future!
XxX

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Good suggestions here.
Any zoos near you ? Can you become a volunteer for one season ?
Or maybe move onto a local SPCA to volunteer there for a while?
Volunteering doesn't pay $ but it is a really, really good way to get your feet wet and it looks fabulous on college applications and/or resumes.

Look at colleges with a veterinary medicine program. Depending on your location some universities may have ones which deal more w/ agricultural animals, others more with pets (although my understanding is that all species are covered in cirriculim).

Good suggestion from Twinkie, too...aim for the Vet Tech level and see how you like that. I know a lotta Techs who really love their jobs and it doesn't pay badly. Then you can decide whether to make the jump to a full veterinary program.

G

·
Good suggestions here.
Any zoos near you ? Can you become a volunteer for one season ?
Or maybe move onto a local SPCA to volunteer there for a while?
Volunteering doesn't pay $ but it is a really, really good way to get your feet wet and it looks fabulous on college applications and/or resumes.

Look at colleges with a veterinary medicine program. Depending on your location some universities may have ones which deal more w/ agricultural animals, others more with pets (although my understanding is that all species are covered in cirriculim).

Good suggestion from Twinkie, too...aim for the Vet Tech level and see how you like that. I know a lotta Techs who really love their jobs and it doesn't pay badly. Then you can decide whether to make the jump to a full veterinary program.
I too know many techs that have went on to become vets ,it does get your feet wet and you learn alot along the way which helps in the long run ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm pretty sure you need to be a police officer for a while before you become eligible for a K9 (just fyi.) A local officer was telling me he was excited because he just got picked from a lottery of officers all hoping for a dog. There's also the jobs with sniffer dogs, for drugs, airport agricultural stuff, survivors in disasters, etc. I always thought that would be fun. There's even guide horses for the blind now! Lab animals is another choice, large animals are lab animals too at agricultural universities. Lab animal jobs tend to pay better than veterinary hospital jobs. Trainers at horse race tracks, department of fish and game, working with movie animals, animal control officer, aquatic mammal trainer... There are lots of animal jobs out there. Some pay more than others, some will be harder to get involved in than others. Or you could get a high paying job in another profession that would pay for the animal hobby of your dreams :) For me, I'm stuck in the vet tech profession for the long term, I need that employee pet discount! LOL. Good thing I like my job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts