Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a wild rescue pigeon roommate. I believe he is a he so his name is George. Whenever he is happy with me lately he flies up to his high basket and does 3 circle walks and coos. It's more or a warbley coo. Which leads me to think yes a guy. But he's started enjoying having his back stroked and basically seems to "assume the position" when I'm petting him. He squats down, gets all fluffy, retracts his neck, and puts his bird tushy up in the air...seems like a female move for a male pigeon to jump on her back. I want to get him a buddy. Will he be mad if I get a female and he turns out to BE a female? Or will he just be happy for a nonhuman companion?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I could've sworn my bird (who acted just like yours and would fight boys and chase girls) was a boy until she plopped out an egg. I feel like the squatting during pets (especially if they spread their wings a tiny bit and twitch) is a good sign it's a girl, but I could be wrong. If you have the guts, you can do a cheap DNA test (about $20 and you mail it in--I couldn't do it because you need to pluck feathers or draw blood from the nail). I think there's a risk with any new pigeon--some birds just don't get along, regardless of sex. If possible, you might see if a rescuer or rescue near you will let you take your pigeon on a "date." We took ours back to our rescuer and let her choose her companion (the one bird she didn't try to fight). Whatever you do, try to pick a bird who is similarly able--for instance, don't risk putting a blind bird with a non-blind pigeon, as the relationship can turn abusive. Both birds need to have relatively similar mobility, sight, and ability to function.

If you had to make a choice quickly, I'd say a female is the lowest risk option. Two females can mate with each other if a male isn't available, but there's a risk that they could get annoyed or unmate with each other if they don't learn how to make the gender roles work. I don't think it'll be pressing to get a mate until the bird is 10-12 months old (although with rescues, it's hard to know how old they are). Best of luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts