Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you know when your pigeon is playing with you, we have a young pigeon 12wks old, hes a house pet, is he playing when he tries to bite my fingers if i put them in front of them and move them around? i think he thinks its some sort of game, do pigeons play with any of you lot??

·
Registered
935 Posts
Oh yeah, they can play. Peaking, shaking, and other normal pigeon behaviors come into roll. Their beak it like their hands..

Give him some cat toys, and that are bird safe, and a cheap beanie like toy....see what he does ;).

-Hilly

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I don't think he likes it when your hands are moving in front of him. Your pigeon may like you, but they don't usually like your hands. Don't think they really see them as part of YOU. If he's biting, then he's probably saying "I don't like that." I wouldn't tease him, as that could change his behavior toward you.

·
Registered
864 Posts
i used to think thats funny,he woudl fight me and i was the one who was playing:)
he would try to box with his wings.
what i consider their play is when they at their peace, when they take sun baths and when he lets me touch the wings while he getting sun on them
but as far as playing, what i consider play is not play to him :)

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
how do you know when your pigeon is playing with you, we have a young pigeon 12wks old, hes a house pet, is he playing when he tries to bite my fingers if i put them in front of them and move them around? i think he thinks its some sort of game, do pigeons play with any of you lot??
I have one young cock that greats me at the door when I go into the loft, follows me around, chases my feet and pecks at my pant legs and toes :confused:, no special reason - I mean, I didn't hand raise him or anything.
Well tonight, I was late (because I went to walmart to pick up some treats, safflower and shelled sunflower seeds). When I went into the loft - he "dive bombed" my head about 4 times!!! Grabbing my hair with his feet! :eek:
I guess he was mad at me :rolleyes: --I get no respect

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have one young cock that greats me at the door when I go into the loft, follows me around, chases my feet and pecks at my pant legs and toes :confused:, no special reason - I mean, I didn't hand raise him or anything.
Well tonight, I was late (because I went to walmart to pick up some treats, safflower and shelled sunflower seeds). When I went into the loft - he "dive bombed" my head about 4 times!!! Grabbing my hair with his feet! :eek:
I guess he was mad at me :rolleyes: --I get no respect
that is one funny pigeon :) he has a nerve to get mad hahah

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jay 3, the reason why i think hes playing is because i can put my fingers in front of him in the day time and he doesnt want to know, but come evening time he like biting them and playing, i dont think he sees it as me teasing him

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
jay 3, the reason why i think hes playing is because i can put my fingers in front of him in the day time and he doesnt want to know, but come evening time he like biting them and playing, i dont think he sees it as me teasing him

If he is a boy, he is just being a normal male pigeon and protecting his turf, which may be his cubby, his cage, anywhere he roosts. Usually at night is when they are on their turf. :p :D

My Skye will let me have it when I put my hand infront of him when I am tresspassing on his "real estate", but anywhere else he is sweet as can be.

They do like to play and bite at your fingers, and it is good excercise for them too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts