Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to tell by just looking at a picture? He has an injured leg, and I posted asking for advice here a few days ago. I did get a couple responses but I was hoping for a little more advice. Either way his leg is still swollen. He doesn't put pressure on it but it doesnt seem to be broken. It's just swollen at the ankle area. Anyways, he's eating and drinking well, I have been force feeding his thawed peas every day because I'm not sure if he's eating enough of his seed, but he's doing well it seems. I'm just so worried about the little guy. I want to make sure he's ok. Anyways, the point of this thread is to ask if anyone can tell me if he's a baby still by looking at a picture? He DOES make a chirping noise whenever I reach (slowly and gently of course) into his little area to get him out to feed him peas. It's deff not a coo, it's a high pitch chirp. But I'm wondering if that is only because he's injured and scared? Is that a sure way to tell if he's a baby or not? Im really sorry for sounding stupid and asking these questions. Ive never even given a second thought about pigeons until this little guy came along. Now I'm finding myself in love with them! And I've only had him for less than a week! I want to do everything right and I really need some experienced peoples guidance. Here is a picture of him. I caught him sleeping, so he's all hunkered down. P.s. sorry for any weird typos, my auto correct on my phone likes to play tricks on me! Thank you so much in advance!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The bird is young. Maybe around 2 months of age.. The sound you describe we call a squeak. S/he has already started moulting the wing shield as indicated by the bluer feathers. Also S/he doesn't have iridescent in his neck feathers which will come in after a moult.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Thank you for caring about this little one :) As Print tippler says, this is a youngster. They don't leave the nest until almost full grown, he might have fallen and hurt his leg. Did you check under the feathers for any string around the ankle? Any cuts or punctures?
Youngsters squeak and squeal, then when they start to get their voice they sound like a duck for awhile, then cooing. :D

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I agree he is a young bird , in my eyes still a baby .....he is a squeeker hence the sound he makes when you you grab him .

Try feeding him on a white towel with some pigeon mix ........I find it is highly visible and encourages them to peck at the seed if feeding is a problem .

By the way ...it is ok to ask questions .....you gotta start somewhere :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much everyone for the help! His leg is looking a bit better every day. I'm glad he's just a baby/young bird, will hopefully make things easier for both of us in the "taming" and trust department. :) I look forward to speaking with you all more soon :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts