Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
its definately alright to fly your birds as long as you dont have a hawk problem ... most people would fly their birds all year long if birds of prey didnt make it a point to eat them :eek:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
hawks 0-plenty in winter...I find it best to fly...if I do in the afternoon...in hopes that the hawk/s caught a meal already... don't know if that is a certain...just wishful thinking... it has worked here so far...but your not here and it depends on your location...so try it...if you get attacked....then lock down they will have to be...it is so different in all locations so it is hard to tell you what you should do...only you can make that decision.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Not to change the subject, but last thursday coming home, just south of Bakersifield, CA, I had the rare experience to see a golden eagle flying next to the freeway. They are magnificent birds!!!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
There are more flying predators during winter. That is the risk! I know that from experience. On the other hand, after the season, you might end up with smarter and faster birds--those that survived! It is some sort of selective pressure. Obviously if you don't want to lose something you think is too valuable, then don't fly. Winter flying increases your odds of getting hit.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Yesterday it was sunny here,and 50 degrees..I let them out....Today it is going to be very windy,and overcast....They stay in....I have flown my birds all winter long,and there was plenty of snow on the lofts etc..They seem to love it....Never had a hawk get one of my birds during the winter....But in March,it`s flyer beware....The birds are to busy trying to mate up,and they do not look out for the hawks...So once Spring has arrived,beware of loft flying,or making the birds free loft all day....Make them fly,and then call them in to eat....Alamo

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Not to change the subject, but last thursday coming home, just south of Bakersifield, CA, I had the rare experience to see a golden eagle flying next to the freeway. They are magnificent birds!!!
"rare"? are they rare in CA? I see them a few times a week here in VA.

well they may be immature bald eagles actually, they hang out near water more than a golden...see em all the time.:)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Yes, it is a rare site in California where I live. During my driving career of 35 years, I have seen maybe a half dozen of them here in the central valley, and the foothills east of me. But when you see one, there is no mistaking them for a red tail hawk, eagles are massive in size!!!

G

·
As long as you have control of them you should have no trouble at all.
you do realise you have no control once the birds leave the loft ,if a hawk is hitting your birds its not as easy to get them back into the loft no matter how much you try to call them back in.. your control is totally lost in the chaos.

·
Registered
318 Posts
you do realise you have no control once the birds leave the loft ,if a hawk is hitting your birds its not as easy to get them back into the loft no matter how much you try to call them back in.. your control is totally lost in the chaos.
I did'nt realize a hawk had hit his or her birds:eek:
I can see you have it out for me.....
Wait let me guess Lokota you own a mixed flock and feed scott, timmy, pidgy,****** and puff ball all they will eat and you wonder why they won't trap..
Am I right?

G

·
I did'nt realize a hawk had hit his or her birds:eek:
I can see you have it out for me.....
Wait let me guess Lokota you own a mixed flock and feed scott, timmy, pidgy,****** and puff ball all they will eat and you wonder why they won't trap..
Am I right?
wow you got me pegged.. my totally mixed flock of pure homers here have no problem outwitting the hawks here but I guess your birds dont get scattered when they hit your flock though since you and your flock are totally under control ;) wow!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
While I do not loft fly in the winter because my birds like to sit, I do take them to the store, church, or a friend's house and release them. Then they fly home and trap. I find my birds have a better chance in the air then as a sitting duck. Plus they seem to enjoy it.

Tony

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Art Hees,a top 10 All-American Loft in YB`s & OB`s,had his #1 flying hen picked out of the air by a hawk....You can`t control what happens in the AIR....You can only control what happens IN the loft...And many times,even when the birds are ON the loft,you have no control....The hawks will not obey YOUR rules.... Alamo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts