Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

My hen laid first egg two days ago. She doesn't lay her second egg after one day gap. Now after 2 days I find a small egg in bowl. Can a sparrow do this? Can she lay a egg in pigeon nest? Sparrows do come in my loft. What should I do?
I'm attaching pic
WP_20140426_002.jpg

·
Registered
476 Posts
Never heard of sparrows laying in other birds' nest. We should come to know after it hatches....lol (if at all it does hatch). Cuckoos do this always but i dont think their eggs will be this small.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi everyone

My hen laid first egg two days ago. She doesn't lay her second egg after one day gap. Now after 2 days I find a small egg in bowl. Can a sparrow do this? Can she lay a egg in pigeon nest? Sparrows do come in my loft. What should I do?
I'm attaching pic
View attachment 30503
Hi Manisha,
Most species of Sparrows lay colored spotted eggs. This can't be a sparrow doing this. As you said the hen took two days gap to lay,it indicates that your hen laid this egg.
Pigeon hens do lay small or thin shelled or soft shelled or distorted shell eggs when they're minerals and vitamins deficient. Calcium being the most important mineral when it comes to egg laying.

The first thing I do when a hen shows egg laying problems is to break the pair to keep the hen alone in hens section so to give her rest and break from laying and raising. If you could do this then good unless don't let your hen raise this egg,the smaller one won't hatch. Replace them with fakes or boil the bigger one and return it to the nest. Throw the smaller one away. Let the hen sit on egg until she abandons it on her own. In the meantime,give your hen good diet and supplements.

PS:I have had hens which don't sit on single eggs. They abandoned the single egg even when its fertile. I'm not saying your hen would do the same. You may want to get two fake eggs or two small white balls to make it a complete clutch in case your hen hesitates to sit.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Aren't your birds moulting? Or have started moulting? Mine have started and its messy. Your can't let your birds breed during moulting. They should be conserving energy,protein and calcium for feather growth.

Also bann the entry of sparrows to your loft. They eat everything and visit many dirty places. They will leave germs,worms,diseases,parasites and harmful bacteria in your loft

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Manisha,
Most species of Sparrows lay colored spotted eggs. This can't be a sparrow doing this. As you said the hen took two days gap to lay,it indicates that your hen laid this egg.
Pigeon hens do lay small or thin shelled or soft shelled or distorted shell eggs when they're minerals and vitamins deficient. Calcium being the most important mineral when it comes to egg laying.

The first thing I do when a hen shows egg laying problems is to break the pair to keep the hen alone in hens section so to give her rest and break from laying and raising. If you could do this then good unless don't let your hen raise this egg,the smaller one won't hatch. Replace them with fakes or boil the bigger one and return it to the nest. Throw the smaller one away. Let the hen sit on egg until she abandons it on her own. In the meantime,give your hen good diet and supplements.

PS:I have had hens which don't sit on single eggs. They abandoned the single egg even when its fertile. I'm not saying your hen would do the same. You may want to get two fake eggs or two small white balls to make it a complete clutch in case your hen hesitates to sit.
Thank you for your reply.
I don't have separate sections for hens. I will try to boil the eggs. How the hen can lay small egg. I'm new to pigeons. This is shocking. But it will be easy for hens to lay small eggs???
I don't think my hen is deficient. She is healthy not thin... And I'm giving calcium supplement that you suggested.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aren't your birds moulting? Or have started moulting? Mine have started and its messy. Your can't let your birds breed during moulting. They should be conserving energy,protein and calcium for feather growth.

Also bann the entry of sparrows to your loft. They eat everything and visit many dirty places. They will leave germs,worms,diseases,parasites and harmful bacteria in your loft
Yes,I will not let any bird raise any young. Do I don't let my birds raise young till spring? Spring is very far!!!??? My birds are also shedding feathers. As you mention it,is there any thing special I need to give to my birds in molting?

Ok I will not let sparrows come in. They come in for feed when I open loft twice daily.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
I don't have separate sections for hens. I will try to boil the eggs. How the hen can lay small egg. I'm new to pigeons. This is shocking. But it will be easy for hens to lay small eggs???
I don't think my hen is deficient. She is healthy not thin... And I'm giving calcium supplement that you suggested.
Its the calcium that helps the hen with the contractions. If she is deficit she will have a hard time laying no matter how tiny the egg is. As you say your hen took two days gap to lay her second egg so... And remember extra calcium also cause egg laying/other problems (if you gave too much calcium).
If your hen seems healthy that doesn't mean your hen isn't vitamins- minerals deficit. And also your hen may be obese that's not gonna help with laying. Is your hen's vent area swollen?...if you're calling this her health...

Not only calcium but phosphorous and vitamin C play an important role in egg formation. Add whole Barley to your hen's diet. It will help maintain balance between calcium and phosphorous. And vitamin C is very important for egg formation. Give your hen "Vimeral" supplement which will help with egg laying problems.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Yes,I will not let any bird raise any young. Do I don't let my birds raise young till spring? Spring is very far!!!??? My birds are also shedding feathers. As you mention it,is there any thing special I need to give to my birds in molting?

Ok I will not let sparrows come in. They come in for feed when I open loft twice daily.
After moulting you can let them raise a clutch if you need. Preferably breeding must be wrapped up till november end. Means young should wean till november end.

Moulting induces great stress on pigeon bodies but healthy pigeons don't need much to be done to them during moulting. You must let them bath frequently so that old feathers shed off and new ones get a place to grow. Also bathing will help new growing feathers to soften up and grow fast. Calcium and protein will help them grow strong feathers so you might wanna add a little more to their diet. Don't put them under any unnecessary stress.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After moulting you can let them raise a clutch if you need. Preferably breeding must be wrapped up till november end. Means young should wean till november end.

Moulting induces great stress on pigeon bodies but healthy pigeons don't need much to be done to them during moulting. You must let them bath frequently so that old feathers shed off and new ones get a place to grow. Also bathing will help new growing feathers to soften up and grow fast. Calcium and protein will help them grow strong feathers so you might wanna add a little more to their diet. Don't put them under any unnecessary stress.
Ok,thanks for the tips.
What do you mean by unnecessary stress?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its the calcium that helps the hen with the contractions. If she is deficit she will have a hard time laying no matter how tiny the egg is. As you say your hen took two days gap to lay her second egg so... And remember extra calcium also cause egg laying/other problems (if you gave too much calcium).
If your hen seems healthy that doesn't mean your hen isn't vitamins- minerals deficit. And also your hen may be obese that's not gonna help with laying. Is your hen's vent area swollen?...if you're calling this her health...

Not only calcium but phosphorous and vitamin C play an important role in egg formation. Add whole Barley to your hen's diet. It will help maintain balance between calcium and phosphorous. And vitamin C is very important for egg formation. Give your hen "Vimeral" supplement which will help with egg laying problems.
You are great help. Thank you so much. It is so much to learn.
No,the hen is not look like swollen.

Ok I will try Vimeral.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts