Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are feral pigeons nesting in the eave on the SIDE of my house. If I replace the vinyl soffit that is missing on the FRONT of the house--where they have been entering, and remove a panel for them about 12 ft on the other side of their nest, will they know to use it?
This is what I have done, since there are chicks in the nest (I realized this too late, in my 'relocation'/repair plan). Now I don't know if they are actually entering the opening, since I haven't seen them use it. The parents spend a lot of time roosting on the roof and drain spout right around where the actual nest is, and they don't seem agitated. I've heard peeps from the nest...
I have no idea how old the chick are.
Should I be concerned? Is it more likely I am just not seeing them fly in, or have I cut off contact and need to start tearing more of my (2nd story, difficult to reach) soffit down?

·
Registered
623 Posts
You should not change anything by the nest, as the parents might not recongnize the nest and will abandon it. If they do leave others will address you on that.

Lucas

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If you change things before they fledge, they may abandon the nest. I would have waited till they left.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Put it back the way it was until the babies come out & fly off on there own. 6-10wks roughly.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you could get to the babies somehow, you should be able to feel the grains in their crops, if the parents are still feeding them (or the crop milk, if they are very young).

Anyway, it's better to put everything back the way it was...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess my question is a)they are hanging around and obviously know the nest is right there, but do they know to search for another way to get to the nest? The entrance was about 20 ft and around the corner before, now it's closer...This morning I saw one of them on the sidewalk directly below the new opening, which I have never seen before. And b) Do pigeons usually spend a lot of time in the actual nest after their eggs have hatched, or is it typical for them to just roost nearby instead?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
There is usually one on the nest. The male during the day, and the female at night. If they are both just hanging around there, that's because they are confused as to how to get to the babies. They only know the old way in. They can hear them but don't know how to get to them. The little ones are going to die unless it is opened up again.

·
Registered
623 Posts
You should have not changed anything. If you can put it back to normal that would be great. If you do not get it back to normal and as they are not sitting and the birds would die.

If you cannot get everything back to normal you would have to take them in. If you were to take them in they are more than likely to die. You would have to buy Kaytee-Exact hand feeding formula for the baby(babies). Then you have to keep them warm somehow (heating pad would be great).

The parents would be the greatest thing to raise them, taking them in is a foolish ordeal, unless you absolutly have too. In this case you it is not neccassary right this moment. Please change the entrance as it was, the parents know the babies(baby) is there but does not know how to get to it. They memorize the place as it first was. Any thing altered will make them not reconize it and possibly leave. Hurry before the abondon the nest.

Hope it all ends well,
Lucas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts