Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok if two types of pigeon are cross-bred? I wouldn't do it on perpose or anything, but I have several types of pigeons in my loft and was wandering if it would be a bad thing if they cross breed? What would be the results? Would they even cross-breed at all? Any advise?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
they will cross breed, and if you don't mind just a plain non breed pigeon and plan on keeping them the rest of it's life then who will know but you. but if you ever need to find a home for them it would be easier if they were a certain breed. If pure breeds cross breed they eventually just look like ferals or street pigeons.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that would be something to try!!!!!!!!!!!!! See if the other hawks get my pigies now!;)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spirit wings,
I looked up another thred on cross-breeding and everyone said it wasn't a good idea, but I agree with you. I think it would be cool to make up different pigies just for fun. I don't see what is wrong with it but I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks. How can you tell if a type is a pure breed? Thanks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, how can you tell what the baby pigeons are going to look like?

·
Registered
499 Posts
they will cross breed, and if you don't mind just a plain non breed pigeon and plan on keeping them the rest of it's life then who will know but you. but if you ever need to find a home for them it would be easier if they were a certain breed. If pure breeds cross breed they eventually just look like ferals or street pigeons.
i disagree,my nun and komondor tumbler,hatched out a beautiful baby,and it looked just like its daddy.it did not look like a feral to me.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Also, how can you tell what the baby pigeons are going to look like?
The breeds have specific traits that were wanted and bred with purpose for those traits and or performance. you have your fancy breeds and performing breeds, alot of hard work went into making them, some are very ancient breeds too. If you cross breed you really won't get anything special. The reason for breeding is because you want more of THAT breed, not just to do it for the heck of it...at least thats my opinion on it. you will not know excactly what the off spring will be like. but in the past when I let two very different breeds breed and hatch, the pigeons were just plain undiscript pigeons, that really had no purpose except for a nice pet, but any pigeon pure breed or not need the same care. but like I said before, not too many people will want to have mixed breeds, and I think it is wise to breed responsibly to improve or keep a certain breed going, expecially when it comes to some rare breeds....example if I bred a homer with a frillback, I would have a pigeon that would not home or home poorly, I just bred his best traits out of them, and they would not have much or any frill so I lost that as well...so , why would I want to do that....see .

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, with fancy pigeons, it would just give the offspring characteristics from both the mom and the dad right? I think it would make very interesting breeds. I know it wouldn't result in the best out of the traits the mom and dad had but it would probably come up with something new and unique. I don't know, I just thought it would cool to mix breeds, but I guess not very many people agree with me on that.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Xavier, you can generally tell if a pigeon is a purebred by looking at how well it conforms to the breed standard, but not always.
A lot of breeders have crossed breeds together to get desirable traits more quickly in the breed they are working on.
Some examples are:
Crossbreeding other breeds, of rarer colored pigeons, into flying rollers, to produce rare colored flying rollers.
Crossing racing homers with kings to make more prolific kings.
Crossing long face, clean legged tumblers to saddle muffed tumblers to create saddles with better frontals and shorter beaks.
Crossing modena and long faced, clean legged tumblers into show rollers to produce larger and more rounded body show rollers with rounder heads.
Standards costantly change as people interpret them differently too.
Breeders take the crossbreeds created and breed them back to birds from the parentage they are working on until they meet the standards.
Keith

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Well, with fancy pigeons, it would just give the offspring characteristics from both the mom and the dad right? I think it would make very interesting breeds. I know it wouldn't result in the best out of the traits the mom and dad had but it would probably come up with something new and unique. I don't know, I just thought it would cool to mix breeds, but I guess not very many people agree with me on that.
they could look like either parent or traces of them.....I don't think they tend to be like dogs, like a schnoodle, they look like both most of the time....ok example, I let a breeding from a fan tail and a modea hatch babies, they did not look like either parent birds...they were just plain pigeons......but I guess that is how all these breeds came along.....folks bred traits they wanted and walla you have a breed of pigeon. but if your going to make your own breed of pigeon it takes alot of pigeons and alot of babies to get there and time and money and a knowledge of genetics is helpful too.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have a friend whose last name is Simpson, that has lots of breeds mixed together in his lofts.
When people ask him what breed the sometimes bizarre looking offspring are, he tells them they are Simpsons.
I think the reason feral pigeons look they do is because they have the most efficent, biological design to escape predation, breed, rare young and eke out a an existence in a sometimes deadly environment
Keith.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm thinking an italian fantail. lol

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, I guess I won't even bother cross-breeding then. Thanks for the advise though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.