Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made a good plan to control my pigeons by feeding them only once in a day at evening. I am letting out my pigeons (Flying tumblers) for free fly from morning till evening. They prefer to sit on roof top and fly when they wish.

From past few days I am keeping them hungry till evening and will feed them with enough food in the evening. I have successfully whistle trained them so that when ever I whistle they come rushing down to the floor for food. Even when they are flying they come down immediately responding to the whistle sound. Once fed they are sent to the coop. This is my everyday plan.

But I need your advice on whether it is OK to feed them only once in a day or is it necessary to feed twice? I need your input! :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
one feeding per day

I have made a good plan to control my pigeons by feeding them only once in a day at evening. I am letting out my pigeons (Flying tumblers) for free fly from morning till evening. They prefer to sit on roof top and fly when they wish.

From past few days I am keeping them hungry till evening and will feed them with enough food in the evening. I have successfully whistle trained them so that when ever I whistle they come rushing down to the floor for food. Even when they are flying they come down immediately responding to the whistle sound. Once fed they are sent to the coop. This is my everyday plan.

But I need your advice on whether it is OK to feed them only once in a day or is it necessary to feed twice? I need your input! :)
i -have food and water available 24/7--you are with holding food in lieu of training,--my personal opinion is --its not a good idea--,all i can see is a scramble to eat,,fighting and beating,injuries--sincerely james waller

·
Registered
2,528 Posts

If you are allowing the tumblers to free fly from morning to evening, is there a need to with hold the feed ?

You can let them out in the morning and feed them, do the same in the evening and send them to the coop.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have a free flighted loft and I feed once a day and the all seem happy, there is no fighting or panic during feeding time.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it as long as your not rationing it.. I would just free feed all day, enough for them to finish most of it by sunset.. they will come in to roost at sunset..so you really do not need to call them in..unless they don't like their loft and don't use it as their sleeping place... just refill in the AM.. getting them to come in and trap is when one wants to fly their birds for just a few hours and then get them back in..so really, what you are doing is just giving them a safe place to roost at night..so no need to have that kind of control... unless you want it.. just close them up when everyone is in for the night.

G

·
if you feed your birds enuf that one time a day it should not be a problem , my work schedule is so crazy anymore so somedays I too have to feed my birds once a day and other days I feed them twice a day ..cant say the birds are happy about it since they do like it to be more routine but its all I can do to keep them fed and as happy as I can :rolleyes: I do however like to get them out and flying every chance I can get as long as there are no hawks making their life miserable at the time :eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was having trouble with birds getting picked off by hawks. Mostly while they loafed about the loft after flying.

About a month ago I switched to feeding once a day. It is the single best change I have made. After an hour or so of flying in the evening, I rattle a can as I walk to the loft with their feeders. They come a runnin and trap immediately. No more getting picked off by hawks.

They are allowed to eat their fill, which usually takes about 15 mins. I make sure that there is always food left when they stop eating. That tells me they're getting all they want. I then take the feeders out and repeat the next day. So far, so good.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I was having trouble with birds getting picked off by hawks. Mostly while they loafed about the loft after flying.

About a month ago I switched to feeding once a day. It is the single best change I have made. After an hour or so of flying in the evening, I rattle a can as I walk to the loft with their feeders. They come a runnin and trap immediately. No more getting picked off by hawks.

They are allowed to eat their fill, which usually takes about 15 mins. I make sure that there is always food left when they stop eating. That tells me they're getting all they want. I then take the feeders out and repeat the next day. So far, so good.
He is flying morning till evening.. so really what is the point in calling them in then.. they go up to their perch to roost for the night anyway... but what you do sounds good because you have a visiting BOP... which most do.. some more than others though.. I have been pretty lucky here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Gotchya.

I have no experience with letting birds free fly all day. Feeding them at all in that situation would seem difficult. Would free feeding them be the way to go?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Gotchya.

I have no experience with letting birds free fly all day. Feeding them at all in that situation would seem difficult. Would free feeding them be the way to go?
it would be easier.. but if he gets a kick out of watching them come in to a feed call then.. that is what he will do.. I think if he is letting them out in the AM and just locking them in at night he just needs to close them up and free feed.. what is the point in having control with feed if they are out all day anyway...lol..:)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Once a day is fine. If you feed once a day they arent as picky about what they eat. Pigeons are like kids when it comes to eating. They eat what they like,not whats good for them.
Once a day feeding keeps them hungry and they eat all of the seed given if done properly. This will cut down on the feed wasted and the rodents eating the seed the pigeons scatter. I sometimes feed one type of seed at a time starting with the one they dont like first.
Pigeons are great actors. They will come down with wings spread acting like they are starved to death. It is just the Pavolvian response kicking in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I feed my flying birds once a day.At times they slow thier response tremendousely.I cut back on the food and they react next day.I know my birds get enough to eat,but I have noticed thier appetite changes with the temp outside.I personally give my ybs constant supply of food 2 weeks after they leave the parents,and put them in the loft,with the others,and they adjust pretty good.I would never deprive them from food if I thought they werent getting enough.Good example,I went to the beach labor day weekend,had a neighbor fill up the feeder for me while I was gone.Got back on sunday and there was still food in the trough.Monday afternoon,I let them out to fly,all the food was gone.They stayed out untill dark,and 3 didnt even come back.I left the trap open the next day,tues ,and the three rebels came back sometimes tuesday.They no doubt had eaten so much they had no need for me and my food,but changed thier mind after ranging so far from home.

·
Banned
307 Posts
thats a terrible idea, u can fly and call and feed 2 times a day, would nt be no different than 1 time a day, actually, the y ll come back in ther evening no matter what to the loft to sleep.:D

·
Registered
478 Posts
Feeding

Feeding once per day is fine. Its always good to only feed them what they will clean up, you do not want food around that will attract mice. Mice bring all sorts of health problems to a pigeon loft.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Just to give a thought, say you feed your pigeon at 8 am in the morning, don't you guys feel that next feeding due at 8 am the next day is a little too far streched ?

I am not sure pigeons are one of those birds which can store food for later digestion. Its just a feeling expressed, may be pigeons need to be fed only once a day to full, I am not sure.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Just to give a thought, say you feed your pigeon at 8 am in the morning, don't you guys feel that next feeding due at 8 am the next day is a little too far streched ?

I am not sure pigeons are one of those birds which can store food for later digestion. Its just a feeling expressed, may be pigeons need to be fed only once a day to full, I am not sure.

I agree with you sreech that is too far apart and especially so if some birds are incubating eggs.
Birds that are incubating eggs or feeding young should have food available all the time, only picking it up at night so as to discourage rodents.

·
Banned
307 Posts
I agree with you sreech that is too far apart and especially so if some birds are incubating eggs.
Birds that are incubating eggs or feeding young should have food available all the time, only picking it up at night so as to discourage rodents.
all poultry should be fed 2 times a day according to the divine egg, :D, and to my wife.she went to college to be a vet,birds have a high metabolism, and they should be fed 2 times a day, 8 hours apart, otherwise, why dont u eat only 1 time a day.:eek::eek:
This is what i do, i release to exercise at 9 am, call, and they coming real nice, them in the evening i feed a little, dont release, and if they clean it up, and they seem to be hungry, them i add more feed till they leave some, them i pick it up, so rodents wont come in, i have rodents traps, and my cat is outside thru the night, hunting the mice and fighting other cats that come 2 close to her territory.
in racing season, i release and exercise 2 times a day, 9am and 6pm, a schedule is important
ps i feed more in the evening cause is a long time between 6 pm and 10 aM, when they coming for their training, figure it out, that s more than 10 hours without eating, to me feeding 1 time a day is abuse.

http://s1198.photobucket.com/home/cubanlofts/recentuploads?view=slideshow,

this is a link to my birds, they eat 2 time s a day, check it out., ps , they r molting now, iam feeding 3 times a day.

·
Registered
864 Posts
1 a day is inhumane..
how about you eat once a day..
have a breakfast at 8 am..and then wait till the next day to eat again
soooo inhumane..
wow

·
Registered
456 Posts
I fill the feeder once a day. It takes my birds all day to empty it, since they're pairs and usually have eggs (the one on the nest waits until the other eats and comes to relieve him/her).

They mob the feeder when I refill it, but there's usually a few grains of barley and a few peas left when I come into the loft the next day, so I know they're getting enough.

·
Banned
307 Posts
I fill the feeder once a day. It takes my birds all day to empty it, since they're pairs and usually have eggs (the one on the nest waits until the other eats and comes to relieve him/her).

They mob the feeder when I refill it, but there's usually a few grains of barley and a few peas left when I come into the loft the next day, so I know they're getting enough.
thats good 2.:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts