Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm planning to release my 2 months old bird at 9 miles? My loft is open everyday, and all my birds including my young birds are free to go in and out and everyday they are flying so i think its not necessary to train my young birds at 1 mile, 5 miles, etc... , i want to train them right away at 9 miles, i believe that if a bird is good he/she can manage to find her/his way home, i believe with this kind of training I'll be able to cull the inferior one, what are your thoughts guys? thanks and Merry Christmas

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I think you should have a smaller toss for their very first time, before you go out to 9-10.
Just because it's sort of like expecting a baby to run before it can walk. It's a new and stressful experience for them their first time, and I like to take it easy on them. So they know what to expect next time :)

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you should have a smaller toss for their very first time, before you go out to 9-10.
Just because it's sort of like expecting a baby to run before it can walk. It's a new and stressful experience for them their first time, and I like to take it easy on them. So they know what to expect next time :)
what if she/he found its home at 9 miles, does it mean she/he is a good racer?

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No. It simply means it can find home from nine miles. Racing is much different than training.
i dont agree, i believe racing and training are the same, lol, in training you toss the bird and in racing they toss the bird, that's the only difference hehehe. And the bird don't know the difference, to them its the same.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
if you feel confident in your birds go ahead my first toss was 20 miles ...if there routing good should be fine ..
the truth is i release 2young birds yesterday, they are brother and sister both age 1 month and 24 days old, the male lost while its sister was able to find its way home but it took her 3.5 hours lol, when they are 1 month old, i already notice that the female is smarter than his brother, at 1 month old she don't want to feed on her parents anymore, she's not afraid to go out and observe its surroundings, she's very independent, she eat on her own, she is easy to teach, she is not afraid to be touch and not trembling while his brother the opposite, they are just like their parents, their father is very wild and always trembling while their mother is very tame, so i believe training young bird at 9 miles and longer is very good for culling the inferior one, i feel like im in the right tract going to the next level.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
i dont agree, i believe racing and training are the same, lol, in training you toss the bird and in racing they toss the bird, that's the only difference hehehe. And the bird don't know the difference, to them its the same.
The difference is 100+ miles and speed. You may find you'll lose all your birds at 20 or 50 miles - you never know. And even if they do make it all the way out, they'll just be homers unless they come home in good time.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The difference is 100+ miles and speed. You may find you'll lose all your birds at 20 or 50 miles - you never know. And even if they do make it all the way out, they'll just be homers unless they come home in good time.
well my young birds are 50% janssen and 50% flying machine

flying machine was bred by Jaime Lim, one of the best pigeon fanciers in the Philippines, and flying machine is 50% janssen and 50% dereree (for endurance)

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Mary --Give up giving Toilco advice
You giave him some very good advice.
BUT he disagreed with you --so Kiss the know-it-all goodbye.
I'm not even sure why he is asking questions on this site.
Maybe he will share some good advice with us --so we can WIN more Races or at least be closer to the TOP of the results.
Let him "learn" like you and I did.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe he will share some good advice with us --so we can WIN more Races or at least be closer to the TOP of the results.
you want to be on top? follow my training method, train your yb at 9 miles right away but make sure within that 2 months they are free to enter the loft in and out.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hey Sky Tx...back from the dead!

Welcome and Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
890 Posts
the truth is i release 2young birds yesterday, they are brother and sister both age 1 month and 24 days old, the male lost while its sister was able to find its way home but it took her 3.5 hours lol, when they are 1 month old, i already notice that the female is smarter than his brother, at 1 month old she don't want to feed on her parents anymore, she's not afraid to go out and observe its surroundings, she's very independent, she eat on her own, she is easy to teach, she is not afraid to be touch and not trembling while his brother the opposite, they are just like their parents, their father is very wild and always trembling while their mother is very tame, so i believe training young bird at 9 miles and longer is very good for culling the inferior one, i feel like im in the right tract going to the next level.
Wow, they are both almost two months old and you can determine the sex? I wish I was that good at sexing my birds.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Toilco--Share your day to day traing and feeding secerts.
maybe even share your results?--number of birds in the race?--number of lofts in the race? Distance?
Make us WISH we were as good as you are and help us flyers that need help.
For me--50 miles is just a Training toss.
My first toss is 2 miles -2-3 times -when they are coming home good I start double the miles.
BUT then again --I ONLY raced 31 years- and was "only" in the top 10% most of the races. So if I was 100th out of a 1,000 bird race--I was happy with my results.
I did have One bird that had over 4,000 -Plus all the Training tosses--offical race miles before He was retired.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, they are both almost two months old and you can determine the sex? I wish I was that good at sexing my birds.
i think the first egg to hatch is a female, and at 2 months old the male start cooing and he is larger than the female, i might be wrong lol

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
It's hard to get an accurate sexing until they are about 5 months old. The order that they hatch doesn't have any merit either. But the ones who coo more and are more aggressive, do have a better chance of turning out to be male usually. But since they are so young, they need to figure out their pecking order, so even the hens may be cocky to show they deserve a place in the loft.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have them trap/feed trained well? How long do they route?
hmmm im not sure if they are routing, they just circle the house in 2 to 5 minutes then after 1 hour or 2 hours, or etcc... they circle the house again, they are always out that's why they are not routing, they can go in and out the loft freely and the feed is always there.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Yes ptras --thanks to you I was banned for 30 days.
But your time is coming--BE CAREFUL -HOPE your screen does not turn RED.
Old age and Trachery will overcome Youth and knowledge.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Toilco--Share your day to day traing and feeding secerts.
maybe even share your results?--number of birds in the race?--number of lofts in the race? Distance?
Make us WISH we were as good as you are and help us flyers that need help.
For me--50 miles is just a Training toss.
My first toss is 2 miles -2-3 times -when they are coming home good I start double the miles.
BUT then again --I ONLY raced 31 years- and was "only" in the top 10% most of the races. So if I was 100th out of a 1,000 bird race--I was happy with my results.
I did have One bird that had over 4,000 -Plus all the Training tosses--offical race miles before He was retired.
hehehhee secret is secret, if i tell you it wont be a secret anymore lol

1 - 20 of 46 Posts