Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my pair laid eggs but the hen doesn't want to incubate them even when the second egg was laid, maybe because she still have a 3 week old youngster, but the cock was incubating the eggs.. So I decided to foster the eggs with my foster pair which I believe the foster hen will be laying egg soon.. But then, the foster cock is the only one incubating the eggs from my said pair during the day, and the foster hen is just standing with the eggs during the night.. Suddenly, my foster hen laid her first egg last night, good thing I've marked the eggs from my super pair.. but still the foster hen is not yet incubating the three eggs. I know she will start incubating the eggs after she laid her second egg.. My concern now, I want the eggs from my super pair, is it possible for the eggs to hatch even if it is already 5-6 day old and only incubated by my foster cock during the day.. I know my foster hen will be incubating them soon but it's already a week when she will lay her second egg.. So I think, it will be one week after they will incubate it full time..

·
Registered
137 Posts
youve bugged it know , the pair who had the eggs would have sat the eggs the cock bas sitting them for the hen to have a rest and she would have sat them , your over super pair will not be able to care for the other 2 eggs as the will struggle with the other 2 , put them back with the other pair and hope the sit them ;)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
One of my pair laid eggs but the hen doesn't want to incubate them even when the second egg was laid, maybe because she still have a 3 week old youngster, but the cock was incubating the eggs.. So I decided to foster the eggs with my foster pair which I believe the foster hen will be laying egg soon.. But then, the foster cock is the only one incubating the eggs from my said pair during the day, and the foster hen is just standing with the eggs during the night.. Suddenly, my foster hen laid her first egg last night, good thing I've marked the eggs from my super pair.. but still the foster hen is not yet incubating the three eggs. I know she will start incubating the eggs after she laid her second egg.. My concern now, I want the eggs from my super pair, is it possible for the eggs to hatch even if it is already 5-6 day old and only incubated by my foster cock during the day.. I know my foster hen will be incubating them soon but it's already a week when she will lay her second egg.. So I think, it will be one week after they will incubate it full time..
I would leave your super birds eggs under the fosters, they may take a bit longer to hatch but they could still be viable. take the others (their real eggs)
out of course and see what happens. please replace the real parent bird's eggs with dummies so she can get used to seeing them and perhaps sit like she is supposed to.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would leave your super birds eggs under the fosters, they may take a bit longer to hatch but they could still be viable. take the others (their real eggs)
out of course and see what happens. please replace the real parent bird's eggs with dummies so she can get used to seeing them and perhaps sit like she is supposed to.
Thanks!!! The fosters are sitting on my super pair eggs right now.. So you mean it is still viable even if it is more than a week now? The foster hen just started sitting on the eggs just yesterday..

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thanks!!! The fosters are sitting on my super pair eggs right now.. So you mean it is still viable even if it is more than a week now? The foster hen just started sitting on the eggs just yesterday..
yes it is very possible, you can collect eggs and keep them up to a week and put them under a foster pair and they still can hatch, AFTER about a week viability goes down... remember to give the birds you are taking the eggs from some fake or dummy eggs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes it is very possible, you can collect eggs and keep them up to a week and put them under a foster pair and they still can hatch, AFTER about a week viability goes down... remember to give the birds you are taking the eggs from some fake or dummy eggs.
Thank you so much!!! Another thing, why should I put some dummy eggs from the pair where I took the eggs? Because the pair still have a youngster about to wean in a couple of days..

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Thank you so much!!! Another thing, why should I put some dummy eggs from the pair where I took the eggs? Because the pair still have a youngster about to wean in a couple of days..
So that the hen won't lay two more eggs again right away. For her to be constantly laying eggs depletes her calcium reserves and can be very unhealthy for her.

Terry

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So that the hen won't lay two more eggs again right away. For her to be constantly laying eggs depletes her calcium reserves and can be very unhealthy for her.

Terry
Thank Terry.. So when should I allow my hen to lay another fertile eggs for them to incubate after putting her first eggs to my foster pair?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thank Terry.. So when should I allow my hen to lay another fertile eggs for them to incubate after putting her first eggs to my foster pair?
when the foster pair has weaned the first babies, but I think it is good to let them sit a dummy round for a break and then when they lose interest in the dummy eggs take those out and prepair the nest bowl again and let them start over, this is for the foster pair, now the pair laying the eggs that are to be fosterd need to be on the same time table just about, so you can pull their dummy eggs at the same time.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
It is good to give all hens a break from laying eggs, as they are not meant to lay eggs like chickens.

It not only leads to calcium depletion but a host of other serious issues, like infections and egg binding.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Dummy Eggs

When removing eggs from a pair one should always replace them with dummy eggs the pair will sit the dummy eggs and this gives the hen all most 3 weeks rest. ....GEORGE;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
somebody help!

I also have the same problem as mentioned above! My hen pigeon doesn't incubating her eggs about two days already, but the cock still doin' his job! worst case is, I only have 1 pair and I don't have any foster pair to take over their eggs! I really need those eggs to survive! Those eggs will suppose to hatch in 4 days! I need a possible solution about this! thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts