Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fledgling and a young bird, both are ferals and very calm. Im still feeding the small one and I was wondering when would it be safe to introduce them and start to cage them together since Im keeping them both.:confused:

·
Registered
795 Posts
I take it that these are outside birds?
#1 Watch them, as they grow. Be attentive.
# 2 Why not put a small barrior sp. between them, when you are away?
Tell us more about your loft, and Pigeons, there are Many Keepers here that have been in your exact same situation! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, they are inside with me all day. The young bird is out with me on her cage and on my shoulder, but the small one is in a heated enviroment and his wing span is getting too large for the space. Im not sure of the sex of them yet, but the young bird has not vocalized at all, very quite and calm.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a fledgling and a young bird, both are ferals and very calm. Im still feeding the small one and I was wondering when would it be safe to introduce them and start to cage them together since Im keeping them both.:confused:
You can "introduce" them already, by putting their cages next to each other. Then after they get used to each other, you can try to cage them together.

But it all depends on their sex. You can have two females togeher and they will usually get along just fine. A male and a female will get along after they get used to each other and have mated. Two males may never accept each other and will continually fight. Especially if they are in a small cage, that can be very dangerous.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I have 2 males together in a cage next to my desk, they get along fine. One is severely handicapped, hip out of its socket with his leg over his back. The other is a hand raised baby that I put in with him to keep him company until its warm enough to put him in the loft. Their the best of buddies :D
There's always exceptions to the rule........They've been together since last September.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
All my introductions between very young pigeons and older pigeons have gone very well so far, no matter if they were both males or the opposite sex. The opposite sex ones usually became mates. I think its the ideal age groups to introduce, personally. Last year I put a male squeaker feral with a huge one year old male racing pigeon, and they became best of friends. In the loft now, with their mates, they still get on especially well and back each other up during conflicts. The feral is especially small, and the racer especially big, so its wonderful seeing their friendship.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I think if it comes to keeping them in a cage together, however, John's advice is good. I would not be inclined to just stick them in the same enclosure for the first time, one day.

Having them next to each other in separate enclosures, or perhaps in the same cage with a transparent something between....so they have extreme proximity but still with a barrier ...for several days to a week, seems a better plan.

then you can see if there seems to be any sign of aggression.

Nice to hear things are going well....How large will the cage be ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.