Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,476 Posts
Hi Stuart

It is definitely not true that this will always happen

Most times, maybe (?), but I have personally observed this is not a fact.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
About their sexes, well no one can really tell how that goes...I'm starting to make my own observation after candling the eggs after few days but that is no guarantee either...Some says if the egg is smaller it might be a hen or the yolk is bigger can be a male, I'm not really sure how my elders sexing the eggs that way...If there is a way to sex them maybe we don't have to scratch our heads about this curiousity...One fact I know the darker color dominates than the lighter color...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
trying to determine the sex

I'm not sure if it works with pigeons or not. But with game birds there is a way to hatch mostly one sex or the other depending on what you need the most. Males or females. I am testing it out at the moment with some pigeon eggs. Will have to try it several tries to make sure. AND NO spirit-wings, I'm not telling you what I am doing :p Maybe I will if it works. Maybe? Jim
I think you are a member of the nosey whatever they call it here. soooooo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,536 Posts
I'm not sure if it works with pigeons or not. But with game birds there is a way to hatch mostly one sex or the other depending on what you need the most. Males or females. I am testing it out at the moment with some pigeon eggs. Will have to try it several tries to make sure. AND NO spirit-wings, I'm not telling you what I am doing :p Maybe I will if it works. Maybe? Jim
I think you are a member of the nosey whatever they call it here. soooooo
You don't have to say whether I'm right or wrong.........but, I'd heard that the first egg laid is the male. Back in 2004? I think, I wanted my widowhood team to raise one baby each. I pulled the first egg and replaced it with a dummy egg and then left them to lay the second egg and raise that baby. I don't remember exact number, but I do know that I didn't get all hens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
You don't have to say whether I'm right or wrong.........but, I'd heard that the first egg laid is the male. Back in 2004? I think, I wanted my widowhood team to raise one baby each. I pulled the first egg and replaced it with a dummy egg and then left them to lay the second egg and raise that baby. I don't remember exact number, but I do know that I didn't get all hens.
that sounds about right lovebirds if that theory is correct. Not the one I was talking(typing) about tho. Jim :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,301 Posts
I'm not sure if it works with pigeons or not. But with game birds there is a way to hatch mostly one sex or the other depending on what you need the most. Males or females. I am testing it out at the moment with some pigeon eggs. Will have to try it several tries to make sure. AND NO spirit-wings, I'm not telling you what I am doing :p Maybe I will if it works. Maybe? Jim
I think you are a member of the nosey whatever they call it here. soooooo
dang it Jim!:(.........:rolleyes::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,455 Posts
A lot of the time you'll end up with a boy/girl clutch. But this year I've had quite a few clutches of boys. Let's just say somewhere around a 50% chance it'll be boy/girl, 25% girl/girl, 25% boy/boy. In the nest the boys are generally the bigger ones, but I don't think that's because they're supposedly the first to hatch. I think it's probably more of the fact the males are probably a bit more aggressive and hog more food. But then again, I've had clutches where I thought the hen was male because she was always bigger, but nope.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
so much information-so little time,..pigeons lay their eggs about two days apart for a reason,incubation,temperature-does the rest,..all female-,all male-,one of each??,..they know.,,majority of hatchlings i have seen are female,..,after 30 days old when the beatings begin,-the parents will already be sitting on the nest -for the next pair--an elder male will display- his dance,coo,maybe get ugly---,nature is fun to watch,they survive,i have a pair of females who are in love-and yes they do nest,oddly enough they do once in a while produce off spring--i think papa donates some love,..i hope you have a big place they will fill it,..sincerely james waller
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,098 Posts
I forgot what animals that can actually control the sex of the baby based on temperature. They do exist. There are also animals that can change their sex while adults. And there are animals that don't need males. The female just can create babies on her own if she needs to. I wish I can remember what those animals are. They are maybe form of reptiles. Thus far my babies happen to be males when hatched. I may have read somewhere that temperature or light can do something about the sex of the baby in that as less light are in during fall or winter eggs tend to be more hens than cocks. I don't know whether that is true or one of those myths.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
i have boy and girl twins(grown up)and when they were tiny,my mums friend said"you have a pigeon pair"i didnt know what this meant at time(all those years ago lol)now i understand lol
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top