Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found my male fantail lying docile on the floor of my aviary. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, but he is sagging and dragging his wings on the ground, and moving very slowly. Sometimes he stands up normally, sometimes he doesn't. He doesn't try to fly at all (and normally does not let me pick him up or touch him).

I touched him all over, but nothing FELT weird or seemed to cause him pain. There was guano on his tail, which is abnormal, but it might be from spending more time on the ground (under the other birds) than normal.

I did see him a few hours ago and he seemed fine (was up on a perch with everyone else).

I have a picture of the way he was laying after I put him on the ground (he eventually stood up normally). I also have some videos of him moving around on youtube (will post a link when it finishes uploading).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gtg287y/21552053584/in/dateposted-public/

Short video of him laying on the ground after I had picked him up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3A50gNlNqI&feature=youtu.be

A longer video of him walking around and eating (he drank, too). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOSGugBNagM&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Can't watch the last video, as it says it's private.
The first picture looks like he was just laying in the sun's rays, but if he stays down there then could be something wrong. Does he act normal the rest of the time?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
He surely has experienced something bad. I remember I found a pigeon in similar position during a trip (in an abandoned building) that later turned normally but I don't remember how (was in April 2013), if I gave a medicine or not. It could be from hiting a wall or something.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The second video is no longer private.

The bird is not acting normally. He can't fly. He falls down (full on face plant) sometimes when he tries to move too quickly, he sort of drags his wings on the ground, and he moves really slowly (and barely tries to avoid being picked up).

Again, he was flying earlier in the day, so whatever changed is recent. I have him isolated in a dog crate with food and water in a dark, warm room, for now.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
With access to the ground like that, they could pick up anything. What meds do you have?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
You don't need to keep him in a dark room. Just not brightly lit. Keep him warm. See if he is eating less, drinking more. Have your birds been warmed? When allowed to peck at the ground like that, they should be wormed a couple of times a year anyway, as they pick up warm eggs and such on the ground.
Do you have any meds?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no meds, he seems to be eating and drinking normally. I plan to take him to a vet as soon as I can (made an online appointment, won't hear back till tomorrow when they can take me).

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Is it an avian vet?

There are some things one should have on hand just in case. When you keep pigeons these things will come up.
Canker meds
Cocci meds
wide spectrum antibiotic
good dewormer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts