Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a custom leg band for my pigeon and was so excited to get it after 4 weeks. I ordered the roller size, because I'd gotten a homer band from Jedd's and it was much too large for my tiny feral. They would only make them in a batch, so I had to pay $32 for 20 bands. To my dismay, the customized band is very snug on my bird's leg. It will wrap around and close fine, but it cannot move up and down the leg at all, and doesn't really turn unless I turn it. I asked a pigeon hobbyist and he said that it would be fine as long as I can rotate the band. Dime (my pigeon) definitely doesn't peck at it as often as he did with the plastic snap on band so I'm wondering if it bothers me more than it bothers him. My main concern is his safety and comfort. Will this band do, or will I need to order another set in homer size?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, love the quick reply!

No, these are just stamped aluminum split bands. It says that they are a size 8, which is NPA size 7?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will it hurt his leg in the long run? Thinking of shelling out another $32 and waiting another 4 weeks makes me cringe. But if I have to I guess I'll have to...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the good info. Wish there was an easier and cheaper way to get custom leg bands!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
How old is your bird now? I assume at least 4-5 weeks. If the bird is still young enough to be growing the band will just get tighter. I would remove it. Bands should never constrict the leg in any way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He is around 3.5 months old. When do they reach their full size?
I will go ahead and remove the band just to be safe, and for peace of mind. He will have to go back to wearing the plastic snap on with the taped-on telephone number until I get the correct sized bands in. Poor boy!
So for future reference, what would indicate a proper band fit, not too small or too big?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
IMO -
Too small -will not move up, down, or around freely. Causes indentures in the skin on the leg, any discolorazation on either side of the band.

Too big - falling off:p, sliding up past the first joint(knee)

I would think that your bird is probably done growing any bigger in the legs, but I may be wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts