Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i brought home a baby pigeon when he fell off the school roof and the nest got washed away in a heavy thunderstorm. the thing is, that was around 26 may when i estimated him to be around 12-14 days old based on pics on speedpigeon.com. that means he should be around 9-10 weeks old now but he doesn't really look like it. he's still got lots of pin feathers and he can't fly though he does flap and bounce a little. his keel bone protrudes quite a lot as well. am i doing something wrong here? he's on wild bird seed (still hand feeding quite a bit) but i'd like to supplement his diet, does anyone have a plan i could follow? Singapore doesn't sell pigeon feed but i think if anyone is able to give me a rough proportion of ingredients needed in the mixture i could probably mix and match from my bird feed store. thank you! :)

p.s. the first two pix are of him when he first came home with me...the other was taken some time in late june.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
He looks quite small for his age. He should look and be od adult size by now.
I really don't know what could cause stunted growth in pigeons, maybe some enzyme deficiency, could be congenital.
I would buy him some multivitamin mix for birds from the pet store and put him out in the sun for an hour a day. Make sure he doesn't get too hot. Also check if the vitamins have calcium, usually they do.
He could also have worms, you might want to deworm him.

Reti

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello ggoss1, thanks for your reply! i'm not sure what are ley pellets though, could you give me a description? i think the only food they sell here for chickens is the yellow, grainy kind of chicken feed. could i boost his protein intake with dog food perhaps?

reti, what kind of worming tablets do i need to get and how much? would they be available at a pet store? i'm wondering if he's growing slowly because he didnt get enough nutrients when young. i fed him on mashed biscuit, a little dog food and transitioned real quick to bird seed. would it help if i supplemented with kaytee? if i cant get kaytee, would any other formula do?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
hello ggoss1, thanks for your reply! i'm not sure what are ley pellets though, could you give me a description? i think the only food they sell here for chickens is the yellow, grainy kind of chicken feed. could i boost his protein intake with dog food perhaps?

reti, what kind of worming tablets do i need to get and how much? would they be available at a pet store? i'm wondering if he's growing slowly because he didnt get enough nutrients when young. i fed him on mashed biscuit, a little dog food and transitioned real quick to bird seed. would it help if i supplemented with kaytee? if i cant get kaytee, would any other formula do?

Kaytee or Harisson's formula would help as they contain everything a baby needs to grow. You can supplement once or twice a day with it.
I doubt pet stores carry worming tablets, a vet would for sure.
His slow growth could be due to insufficient nutrients when young, but he should be catching up by now.

Reti

1 - 7 of 7 Posts