Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure whats wrong with him (about 2 weeks old) , hes was sort of laying on his side erlier, not right on the side, but tilted. hes not been very alert since this morning. just kinda got his head laying down. sleeping alot. when i start to feed, does peck for it abit, but not like he was yesterday. Any ideas?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
If the bird is only two weeks old, where are it's parents? It should be picking at seeds much, if at all at 2 weeks old.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesnt have any, im hand rearng him.

I have him both on a mixture of kaytee formula (be pecking i mean opening his beak for me to put it in), and was using egg meal till the kaytee formula arrive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
His poo is ok, looks like normal bird poo, it was only this morning he started acting odd, normally he wwill start jumping up at me when i come into the room, or look into the tub, and be ready waiting for food, but hes not doing that.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Open the babies mouth and see if you see any cheesy looking stuff in the mouth or throat and sniff to see if it smells sour. Pigeons can get what's called Canker. That's one of the first things we would consider with a baby this little.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Is it warm where you're keeping the baby? I'm sort of at a loss at to what to tell you. Have you been able to get it to eat today?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi ssamm,

Outside of being kept nicely warm, as Lovebirds mentioned, is he be well hydrated? Lethargy can be a sign of dehydration, please give him some hydration fluid if you feel this might be the case. You can make it by adding one teaspoon of sugar and a good pinch of salt to one cup of water.

Until you can figure what is happening please keep him well hydrated. Give it slowly to the side of his beak, preferably with an eyedropper if you have one, or you can use a drinking straw, dipping it into the solution and using you finger on the top to hold in the fluid. I would start with a teaspoon full and see if he perks up a bit. Please be sure to give the water slowly because when they are out of it, as he looks, there is a greater chance of aspiration of fluids to occur.

Good luck with him.

Karyn

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok i will try that. hes laing with his head right to the side, i would of thoght he was getting enouth water fro the kaytee formula

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
right just gave him the water with the mixture you just said how long would this kick in if hes is infact dehaydrated?

Hes been kind of hanging his heada to the side lifelessly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well hes breathing with his mouth open, like every breath he takes he has to open his mouth.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi ssamm,

You are right, he should be getting enough fluids from the Kaytee.

How does his crop feel? How is his breathing? Any rattles or clicks? Could he be too warm, is he on top of a heating pad?

Are the droppings he is producing matching what is going in? Could he be blocked up? You can stimulate him to produce by using a Kleenex dipped in warm water and rubbing it over his vent area.

If you are going to give him some fluids, again it must be very slowly, a drop or two at a time making sure he is swallowing, as not to aspirate.

Karyn

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i did give him fluids, with a syringe at the tip of his beak and he was swallowing it. He has been using the toilet fine, looks like normal bird droppings.

No rattles or clicks, hes quite quite. Crop still feel abit full from food i gave him this morning.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Ssamm, were any of his last feedings problimatic? Did he choke a bit of have any other difficulties.?

Open beak breathing in adults is never good sign, my experience in chicks is more limited, I just double checked on two 8 day olds out in the coop and no open mouth breathing happening at all, as I thought, but I wanted to check. Again, could it be from too much heat?

Karyn

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ssamm, were any of his last feedings problimatic? Did he choke a bit of have any other difficulties.?

Open beak breathing in adults is never good sign, my experience in chicks is more limited, I just double checked on two 8 day olds out in the coop and no open mouth breathing happening at all, as I thought, but I wanted to check. Again, could it be from too much heat?

Karyn
Hes only about 2 weeks old.

Nah he ate fine and is was all gone from his crop ready for next feed.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi ssamm,

You say he is two weeks old, but he looks to be just a head of the development of my 8 day olds.

Here is a great shot, courtesy of Lovebirds, of a 13 day old:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpost.php?p=310693&postcount=140

Are there any other issues in your other birds?

I feel like I am getting a little out of my depth, but I think something else is going on more experienced hands are going to have to figure out.

Anyway, I would wait 1/2 an hour and feel his crop again. I would take 1/2 the cup of hydration fluid and add some ACV to it, 1/4 teaspoon and use this for his next fluids to see if this help his crop empty.

Good luck,

Karyn

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
whats ACV??

well he hasnt changed much in the few days ive had him, but looking at that pic then he cant be!
Im hoping he makes it throught the night.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts