Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a "dropper" pigeon (racing terms). He was trying to fly with the big guys (racers) from the home across the street. Thankfully I was sitting on my porch when they took flight when suddenly I heard a "pop" and my little guy fell to the ground in my yard. He had a hole in the muscle of his wing but it didn't go into his body. This incident happened 5 days ago (June 20). The bleeding has stopped but he has a butterfly bandage on his wing that I'd like to remove when it is safe. Since it's stuck onto his feathers, I'd like to use a safe "solvent" and allow the bandage to soak it up and allow it to release itself. I need to know if it is safe to use Neosporin to loosen the adhesive, and if not (or if there is a better method), what is safe for him in case he digests some of it? Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can try coconut oil, which is a natural antibiotic/antifungal/antiviral. It will actually be good for the bird and will facilitate healing. You could also try loosening the adhesive with a blowdryer on the LOW setting -- keep it at least 18" away. My little girl LOVES the blowdryer. :O) <:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great advice! I let him out to walk around the house last night to give him a bit of exercise. When I got up this morning I saw blood in his crate so obviously, the wound is not healed and I'll need to leave the bandage on for awhile longer. The bleeding did stop. It was a pretty deep puncture in the muscle/meaty part of his wing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.