Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ever happened to the prestige and pride in winning a long distance race from 600 miles? Is our sport becoming too specialized in the shorter races where money rules king? Please share your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
What ever happened to the prestige and pride in winning a long distance race from 600 miles? Is our sport becoming too specialized in the shorter races where money rules king? Please share your thoughts on this.
I personally think that the sport has evolved into what its practitioners wanted it to be for them. There has always been a percentage of fanciers that have leaned more towards the monitary aspects of the sport. I think that these people find excitement in the exchange of money in the form of entry vs. prizes not to mention the greater numbers of competitors these events offer. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.These people have been more aggresive in the promotion of their brand of flying than the average club flyer has. Because of this I think that one loft and futurity flying has developed a bad rap among many of the flying public.

As long as there remains an avenue for the young, new and recreational flyers, I think there is room for everyone. I think the issue of the long distance race prestige is a victim of pure economics. The cost to raise for, train and ship these long distance races has become too exhorbitant for the average fancier. Most clubs can only afford to ship one, maybe two, if any of these long distance events. I for one, would rather enjoy the other eight weeks of the season than stake my whole loft around that one race per year.

Just my thoughts.

Dan

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I personally think that the sport has evolved into what its practitioners wanted it to be for them. There has always been a percentage of fanciers that have leaned more towards the monitary aspects of the sport. I think that these people find excitement in the exchange of money in the form of entry vs. prizes not to mention the greater numbers of competitors these events offer. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.These people have been more aggresive in the promotion of their brand of flying than the average club flyer has. Because of this I think that one loft and futurity flying has developed a bad rap among many of the flying public.

As long as there remains an avenue for the young, new and recreational flyers, I think there is room for everyone. I think the issue of the long distance race prestige is a victim of pure economics. The cost to raise for, train and ship these long distance races has become too exhorbitant for the average fancier. Most clubs can only afford to ship one, maybe two, if any of these long distance events. I for one, would rather enjoy the other eight weeks of the season than stake my whole loft around that one race per year.Just my thoughts.

Dan
That bout' sums it up for me.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
We fly with a combine in old birds 2 400 mi 2 500 and 2 600 miles races. I have speed birds that I don't send past 400 mi. The Ardens and Fabry's seem to exel at the long distance.
Dave

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems that money has played two roles in the decreasing of the longer races and the increasing interest of the shorter money races. In the end, the ones who enjoy the longer races will be far and few in between.

Another thought for food: if this trend continues, will the sport revolve only around 300 and 400 mile races?

Is there a way to resurrect the longer races?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
It is a product of market forces. Where the interest is, the demand will dictate that which will survive.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Is our sport becoming too specialized?

In an answer, "YES." Now is it a bad thing, that depends on what each person wants. I still think the best baseball games are the ones the kids play in the backyard. When it goes professional it loses some of the fun and becomes a job. Right now my birds are my enjoyment, I plan to keep it that way.

God Bless,
Tony

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Just as others have said in previous posts here...The MARKET.....The Big Time sellers only brag/advertise about what their YB`s have done in the MONEY races....But,I don`t let that FOOL me at all....I don`t buy/want any birds from them..I go looking for someone who brags about how/what his birds did at 500 & 600 miles.....If everyone would STOP buying from the YB flyers,they might get better birds for less money...Long distance racing is NOT DEAD....We fly 500 & 600 mile Federation races,and everyone I know LOVES these two races..Big time birdage,winning pigeons with pictures & story in the RPD etc....I had one bird who was 52nd/1615B birds in the 500 and 136th/1445B in the 600....With lofts from 5 States >>> Ohio,Pa,NY,Md,WVa shipping birds...One loft races with YB`s don`t hold a CANDLE to this type of racing !!!....Alamo

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just as others have said in previous posts here...The MARKET.....The Big Time sellers only brag/advertise about what their YB`s have done in the MONEY races....But,I don`t let that FOOL me at all....I don`t buy/want any birds from them..I go looking for someone who brags about how/what his birds did at 500 & 600 miles.....If everyone would STOP buying from the YB flyers,they might get better birds for less money...Long distance racing is NOT DEAD....We fly 500 & 600 mile Federation races,and everyone I know LOVES these two races..Big time birdage,winning pigeons with pictures & story in the RPD etc....I had one bird who was 52nd/1615B birds in the 500 and 136th/1445B in the 600....With lofts from 5 States >>> Ohio,Pa,NY,Md,WVa shipping birds...One loft races with YB`s don`t hold a CANDLE to this type of racing !!!....Alamo
Congratulations on your success! It's good to know that there are still people out there who love the long distance races.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Long distance racing if it were to be a one loft race, it just takes too long for the birds to mature to fly the distance. I think some fanciers love young bird racing because it is more fun. But nothing beats watching birds return from the 500 and 600 miles especially on the day. I prefer having consistent distance flyer prove them selves year after year than a one loft winner just winning one time. I don't think it will be able to do so good if they were to race the winner of the one loft the next week at the same distance.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
The Finest Racing Animal

What is the finest racing animal in the world? It is the LONG DISTANCE RACING PIGEON. I for one would rather breed from a winner of a 500 mile race or even one that just places high on the race
sheet.
GEORGE;)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Would like to add one thing about racing pigeons for a hobby....The PLAYING FIELD is alot more level for NEW pigeon flyers starting out flying YB`s...I`m not going to say you will win alot,or win any races...But your birds can be very competive,especially if some experienced flyer is helping you out with his knowledge....In OB flying,you need more experience,and the BIRDS need to be VERY GOOD for you to have any success at the long distance races from 400 to 600 miles....You cannot get a SUV to win a NASCAR race...You need a NASCAR built car....It takes time/knowledge to build the car..It is the same with racing long distance birds.....You need to build a VG old bird race team,with the very best birds that you have left after the YB season...It will take 2 or 3 yb seasons to get 10 pair of birds that can give you good results at the long distance races....Also,which is very important,you need middle distance and long distance strains in your loft to accomplish what you want to do...I have never bragged about winning short races...But when you have a bird that comes home after 14 hrs on the wing,and winds up in the top 10% or higher in a race with 1400 to 1600 birds entered,I think a little bragging is OK....Alamo

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Our club gives the highest prizes and rewards to the long races. We fly a 550 in ob's and that is what everyone goes for. Now I think if you are talking about yb's that the 300-400 mile races should be consitered long distance races. We fly our auction and futurity both from 340 miles and I think that is long especially with a head wind.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Would like to add one thing about racing pigeons for a hobby....The PLAYING FIELD is alot more level for NEW pigeon flyers starting out flying YB`s...I`m not going to say you will win alot,or win any races...But your birds can be very competive,especially if some experienced flyer is helping you out with his knowledge....In OB flying,you need more experience,and the BIRDS need to be VERY GOOD for you to have any success at the long distance races from 400 to 600 miles....You cannot get a SUV to win a NASCAR race...You need a NASCAR built car....It takes time/knowledge to build the car..It is the same with racing long distance birds.....You need to build a VG old bird race team,with the very best birds that you have left after the YB season...It will take 2 or 3 yb seasons to get 10 pair of birds that can give you good results at the long distance races....Also,which is very important,you need middle distance and long distance strains in your loft to accomplish what you want to do...I have never bragged about winning short races...But when you have a bird that comes home after 14 hrs on the wing,and winds up in the top 10% or higher in a race with 1400 to 1600 birds entered,I think a little bragging is OK....Alamo
I too am looking to share in the enjoyment of seeing a 600 mile day bird. It is quite an accomplishment to see a bird do that. I believe that there's more than just training. The internal makeup (this includes physical and emotional) is vital to the bird's success. I'm sure once you get a day bird from a 500 or 600 mile race, bragging just a little won't hurt.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
In our Combine of 130+ members, the answer is simple, economics and lack of interest. I don't remember exactly when our Combine dropped the 600 Mile event. With fewer and fewer people shipping to that event, and costs of transportation going up, it just didn't make sense. Like Learning and others have suggested, having your whole hobby revolve around a couple of 500 mile events may appeal to some, but there are far more shorter races.

As a YB flier, I am doing my part. In our Combine the UPC, it is the YB fliers which make up the thousands of $$'s that the OB fliers run into the hole, in order to fly their couple of 500 mile races. So it is the longer races, which is the King of money burning. So don't look too far down your nose at the short distance fliers, we are paying your way ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's true Warren. With the majority of the interest revolving around the shorter races and especially in the young bird races, many fliers are engaged more, thus the bulk of the finances are taken care of. It would be interesting to see where it all goes in say twenty years. Perhaps the longer races will be the news of yesterday and the short races will dominate the pigeon racing landscape. In any case, it would still be nice to engage in longer races, even if they are just one or two in an old bird season.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I ENJOY all the races,no matter what the distance..But,a true test on how strong of a strain of birds you are breeding is: #1> How well do your YB`s do at 300 to 400 mile YB races,and #2> How well your OB race team does at 400 to 600 miles....It COST me the SAME AMOUNT to ship a 100 mile race,as it does to ship a 600 mile race....Our combine does this...You pay $180 for 9 races to ship up to 30 birds....So it`s $20 per week for each race....I also beleive the lofts that will not fly/ship 500 & 600 mile races,are the lofts that DO NOT have pigeons that can fly the distance.....They don`t want to be embarased by not getting any birds,or by losing all their birds...And then,I don`t really blame them at all..If your birds can`t compete at the distance,then keep them home...There are some MAJOR long distance races happening around this country...Lots of lofts & birdage....Look at Europe....You will see the biggest headlines for the Barcelona winner,and ALL the various area/country winners,all over the news....Some of the biggest money paid for pigeons,has come from the Barcelona winner....The winner could be a yearling,which has never BRED any yb`s,and still BIG $$ will be paid, for this pigeon...That says a whole lot for this accomplishment,for which the pigeon has done...
Alamo

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ENJOY all the races,no matter what the distance..But,a true test on how strong of a strain of birds you are breeding is: #1> How well do your YB`s do at 300 to 400 mile YB races,and #2> How well your OB race team does at 400 to 600 miles....It COST me the SAME AMOUNT to ship a 100 mile race,as it does to ship a 600 mile race....Our combine does this...You pay $180 for 9 races to ship up to 30 birds....So it`s $20 per week for each race....I also beleive the lofts that will not fly/ship 500 & 600 mile races,are the lofts that DO NOT have pigeons that can fly the distance.....They don`t want to be embarased by not getting any birds,or by losing all their birds...And then,I don`t really blame them at all..If your birds can`t compete at the distance,then keep them home...There are some MAJOR long distance races happening around this country...Lots of lofts & birdage....Look at Europe....You will see the biggest headlines for the Barcelona winner,and ALL the various area/country winners,all over the news....Some of the biggest money paid for pigeons,has come from the Barcelona winner....The winner could be a yearling,which has never BRED any yb`s,and still BIG $$ will be paid, for this pigeon...That says a whole lot for this accomplishment,for which the pigeon has done...
Alamo
I believe many fliers would believe that. Not having the pigeons capabale of flying the longer races would limit them from sending their birds to said races. A friend once told me that there are three types of pigeons: a) birds that can fly 600 miles, b) birds that can fly 600 miles in good time, and c) birds that do not come home. At first, I chuckled because I didn't really understand the meaning. But now, it rings more and more true.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts