Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Ginger, Grace, Connor, Cornelia, Gale, Henry, Nova, Elizabeth, Buna, Ivy, Alaska, Blue, and Rue
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I'm wondering if sand is ok to use on the floor of an aviary to keep it clean? My main concerns are if my Ringneck Doves ate a bunch of it, would it harm them or cause impaction? Are there any other things I should be worried about if I used sand?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
I have sand on the bottom of my aviary without any problems. I know the Palomacy group is against it as this can cause impactation. Why are they eating the sand? Are you supplying them with grit?

·
Registered
Ginger, Grace, Connor, Cornelia, Gale, Henry, Nova, Elizabeth, Buna, Ivy, Alaska, Blue, and Rue
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have sand on the bottom of my aviary without any problems. I know the Palomacy group is against it as this can cause impactation. Why are they eating the sand? Are you supplying them with grit?
Thanks for answering! I don't have sand in my aviary yet. I do provide my doves with grit, but I just sprinkle it on the floor as they go nuts for it and would eat a ton if I let them. I wouldn't want them gobble up a bunch of sand if I used it as a base on my floor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts