Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed one of my hens today was looking weird. It kind of bends forward, with its butt up, and its tail kind of down. I went and picked it up, and it wasn't as hard to catch, and I felt its crop and it was full. And I haven't seen it poo for a while. What could be wrong?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It sounds like she could be egg bound which is not good. How long since she laid an egg?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I noticed one of my hens today was looking weird. It kind of bends forward, with its butt up, and its tail kind of down. * I went and picked it up, and it wasn't as hard to catch, and I felt its crop and it was full. And I haven't seen it poo for a while. What could be wrong?
* At this point I would get the bird to a pigeon friendly avian vet or qualified avian rehabber right away .

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, went out this morning, and there was an egg, so it looks like she was having some egg problems, but everything seems good now. egg looks good, she looks good. But i will keep a close eye for the second egg coming.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Alright, went out this morning, and there was an egg, so it looks like she was having some egg problems, but everything seems good now. egg looks good, she looks good. But i will keep a close eye for the second egg coming.
you can give a calcium tablet from the drug store. 500 mg, cut in half. made from oystershell calcium, it may help her with the second egg, it helps for shell formation and the muscles to push it out.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, thanks. last night I found an egg on the floor, cracked open. I wonder if that may have been that hens second egg?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Alright, thanks. last night I found an egg on the floor, cracked open. I wonder if that may have been that hens second egg?
if the timing is right then it probably is...thats good. is this a young hen? she may be a bit off if she is a young one. I have some that drop theirs from the perch if they are not in the breeding section, but it seems when they get a bit older they will nest on the floor or the plastic baskets hung up with hay in them...those are used just for dummy eggs not for breeding.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah this is an old hen, I got it from a guy, Im not sure of the age cause i never looked at band, but it would be its second round of eggs from this hen, the first two turned good, and are now young birds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts