Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Sorry for my absence. I just got a new job (yay!) and I have had very little PT time (bummer) :( but I am back and have a new question :)

For the past couple days (maybe 5 or 6 at the most) Stanley has been taking up residence on a corner of my bed, near my pillow. I spend about 95% of my time in my room sitting on my bed while I read or am on my lap top and he has been coming over and sitting next to me. I started to notice that he has been gradually spending more and more time sitting on the spot although he has not brought over any nesting material. He is not glued to the spot because he will fly, play, eat, and drink but usually when I leave the room he will fly over to the spot and sit on it. Over the weekend he was very cuddly and nice constantly laying with me and preening. However today he has been attacking me if I get near the bed. He will not stop attacking me until I leave the room. It was not until just an hour ago that he left the spot and allowed me to sit on the bed.

I guess my question is is he waiting for me to lay an egg? Does he think the bed is a nest since I am constantly sitting on it when we are in the room? I am just curious as to what is going on in his head and how I should react as to not offend his ego :)

Thank you everyone! Pigeon behavior is just so fascinating!!

PS. I know he is a male pigeon because he has tried to mate with my hand so he wouldn't be laying an egg. Just as an FYI :p

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hehe, he probably is, I think that's what Fox is waiting for too... I tried giving him a nest and a fake egg, but he attacked it. I was like "Hey, I defied nature to lay that egg for you, I formed it in my body and lovingly laid it, and that's how you treat me?!" :p

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
LOL. Better start collecting nesting material, and get a couple of eggs. Might as well be doing something constructive while you're sitting there on your nest, I mean bed. :p

·
Registered
508 Posts
lol he probably thinks of u as his mate, and i heard the male usually sits on it lol:p
The males and females both sit on the egg. Usually the hen during the night and the male during the day.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Mr. Squeaks has 2 modes: MATE and DADDY!

In mate mode he will follow me around and want attention.

In daddy mode, he sits on his nest with his egg for HOURS...comes off to poop and eat! Highly protective of "his" territory and if my bare feet happen to get too close to his nest, he will ATTACK!! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! :eek:

Right now, he is on a real egg that Woe laid. I doubt that it is fertile as all her others were not. Gimie, her mate, has a broken leg that healed very badly and interferes with mating. Also, Gimie can break the egg if not careful.

I give Squeaks strips of paper for his nest material.

Love and Hugs
Shi :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hahaha!! I love the responses! Way too funny. So I guess he really is waiting for me to lay an egg, I guess I better get on that :p I can only imagine what he is thinking... "Boy did I choose a dud! She sucks at this egg gig." haha :p Yes c.hert we are crazy and yes Jay3 he is prob wondering why I am sitting on the nest/bed and not actually being constructive :)

But why the attacking? Is he just an impatient spoiled pidge? If he does think I am his mate then he should prob treat me a little nicer for goodness sakes :D

PS. Insomniac, I died reading your comment. haha.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm, that is very interesting Mr Squeaks. That sounds like our arrangement too. Why is he keeping you away from his nest if he thinks your his mate?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
That pigeon is smart he knows that Mr Squeaks has access to plastic eggs and thats why he keeps him away--c.hert

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hmmm, that is very interesting Mr Squeaks. That sounds like our arrangement too. Why is he keeping you away from his nest if he thinks your his mate?
It's that big, featherless ''spidey'' thing with the wriggling appendages that has invaded his territory, that Mr Squeaks attacks. ( Knowing Shi.... probably spidey appendages with painted ''faces''.) And then there is those other ''spidey'' things with the longer appendages that even have ''claws''. OMG.... the horrors that invade a poor defenseless pijie's homeland while he is defending his future squabs.!!!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Stanley sounds so cute...like I said on our PM...Petey does the same thing...and I like you think that Petey has got to be thinking "boy I picked the worst mate"...cause I don't sit on the eggs...but get this...I come in to give him a break on nest duty (during the week this is at night and during the weekend a couple of times a day)...the hand he doesn't attack that he loves comes in and scoots him off and covers the fake eggs while I read a book (standing) and he eats and takes off and does what I call his pijy yoga to stretch everything out...when I get done with a few chapters I leave and he comes back...but I tell ya he looks at me in the mornings when I leave for work...Like WTH? Why can't you get in here and take your turn!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sesamestick, that is very true. I guess I hadn't thought of it that way.

Tamara, Petey sounds so cute. I just got home from work and as soon as he saw me he jumped off the bed and gave me that same "WTH" look that Petey gives you. "Well its about time you get home! I got to poop!" haha. So I sat down on the bed and off he went stretching and chowing down. This is just too funny.

So, I work from 8 to 5 every day and unless my sister is available to watch him while I am gone, he has to be in his cage. Will this cause him distress not being able to sit on his nest?

Also when my sister is watching him, like today, will he get off the nest on his own and eat and drink when necessary, if I am not there to take my turn?

I do not have any dummy eggs, so he is not sitting on anything yet. What if I don't get any dummy eggs, will he just continue to sit on the nest? and for how long?

I kind of feel bad giving him an egg knowing it will never hatch. They are so smart so won't they be sad when it never hatches, after investing so much time?

Sorry for all the questions :p

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If a bird isn't sitting on eggs, then there's no reason why he wouldn't get off the nest. Yes, I switch mine out, but always feel a bit bad doing it. I'm sure they must feel bad when it doesn't hatch. They put so much time and effort into it. Poor things.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I agree Jay. I think it might brake my heart to see my little man disappointed after he puts all that time and energy into sitting on the egg and it never hatches :( But at the same time... how long will he continue to sit on an empty nest until he gives up? Will that cause him distress?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I thought about that too...but you know in nature they don't always hatch either...and I figured I would only do it so often when he really starts going hard core on the cooing and nesting. I am not there at home from 7 am to 6-7pm...but on the weekends I have noticed that he does come off the eggs on his own and get food and water and such..he won't starve himself.I read that the nesting can go like 21 days and then 10 days off...so I plan on letting him sit for about then and see if he will get off them on his own...if not then I will pull them. Do you have a cage for Stanley? I ask because you can try to get him to nest there...I got a basket and started adding hay and it took off from there.I so wish I could get him a mate but its not in the cards right now for sure...I figure this is the best thing...it gives him something to do (purpose if you will) while I am not home.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yeah, I agree Jay. I think it might brake my heart to see my little man disappointed after he puts all that time and energy into sitting on the egg and it never hatches :( But at the same time... how long will he continue to sit on an empty nest until he gives up? Will that cause him distress?
No. that won't cause him stress. He's sitting there because he likes it there. I wouldn't worry about giving him eggs. He doesn't need that. And I doubt if he would sit them anyway. Unless he has a pijjie mate, he doesn't need to be bothered with eggs. He's fine the way he is.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
First of all, thank you everyone for helping out!

Tamara, so Petey's nest is in his cage? Petey sounds so cute. I bet he looks adorable acting all daddy-ish and protective on his nest. Stanley does have a cage but he really only goes in it when he we have to go out or to work. He rarely goes in it on his own. So I am concerned that since his nest is not in his cage, he will freak when I have to go to work and he needs to be in his cage. Plus, since Josh and I do not live together anymore (we are searching for our own apartment and will hopefully move out towards the end of the summer) he spends Monday through Friday with me and Josh picks him up Friday after work and he spends the weekends with him. Joint custody, haha. So he will be away from his nest for a couple days.

Like Jay mentioned, I think that I will skip out on giving him an egg and see how it goes. But I find it very interesting that even though he has no eggs he sits on the nest ALL day until the sun goes down and only then will he tolerate me taking my turn. I just hope he gives up on me laying eggs soon because he has quite a bite and is very persistent with his attacks. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts