Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my second training toss from 1 mile away direct straight shot basically, 2 birds made it back before I returned home but the other 2 are no were in site its been a good 4 hours at still no return from the other 2 any opinions if they were lost? its a clear and sunny day were I am. and I let them go away from a lot of wires.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I did my second training toss from 1 mile away direct straight shot basically, 2 birds made it back before I returned home but the other 2 are no were in site its been a good 4 hours at still no return from the other 2 any opinions if they were lost? its a clear and sunny day were I am. and I let them go away from a lot of wires.
No way to know. If they don't come back, then you'll know the answer is yes.....:(
Just give them a bit. They may show up any time or not until tomorrow morning, or whenever they get hungry.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I can see the spot that I released them from from the roof were the coop is and i have seen them fly around that area these last few weeks so I'm a bit confused because 2 of them made it home before I did.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Yeah, I can see the spot that I released them from from the roof were the coop is and i have seen them fly around that area these last few weeks so I'm a bit confused because 2 of them made it home before I did.
They will get hungry, perhaps in the AM they will be wanting in real bad....I know it's hard not to worry though.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Don't be confused. This happens sometimes and I, nor anyone I know has any explanation why.
I took 16 birds one morning about 500 yards away (it was a mile driving, but in reality, just over the tree line) and 10 of them were never seen again. These were birds that had been loft flying for a few months. They could have walked home from where I let them out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:
The 3rd one arrived 2 hours ago, still waiting on the 4th. when the 3rd one arrived he flew to his perch and fell asleep after some water and feed.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
UPDATE:
The last one appeared at around 8 am. all is well.
told ya!.:p....no really I bet your relieved, Im happy the crew are back together. I will be a nervouse wreck when I let my 6 out for he first time, you have zero control at that point, just always try to have faith in your birds though.:)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Glad the birds are back safe and sound :)

But something to keep in mind. Just because pigeons don't come back immediately from short distances, doesn't necessarily mean they're lost. A mile shouldn't be too much farther than what they were originally routing, and you said you could see the release point from the loft. Therefore, the birds are already "home", so they can take their time flying, having fun, and getting exercise. If they're hungry, they won't be flying around long. It's also very possible that bird that didn't show til the next morning, was chased by a hawk or something, and was stressed/scared and decided to stay in a tree til morning.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi DINITRY, I have some questions first have your birds when loft flying been routing or tripping and how long have been doing it? You see before you road train your birds should be loft flying and routing they should be doing this for 45 minutes to 1and a half hours.If you don"t know what routing or tripping is let us know and we will explain.I just feel that you may have started to road train to fast.I am going to say something that some may think is a bit odd, the two birds that returned right away, look these birds over check them.When I road trained at the short distances 1, 5, 10 miles I found that many times birds that returned quickly were in fact ill or a bit under the weather, the reason I say this is at those short distances birds that have been routing will fly for a while as they know where they are. Those that come home and do not fly with the flock should be check. I don't want you to think that I am saying that they all are sick but I must say sick birds do not like to fly there for check.GEORGE;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts