Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Iam brand new to this site, and if this is already posted here, sorry for the repeat!:D
I rescued a male pigeon bout a year and half ago, when a cat got him.
He cant fly, he left wing is useless. So I keep him in the house with me, but the only way i can pet him is to hold his peek, cause he snaps all the time!:D
Is there anyway to stot this behavior? Jawsie has Great personality, Loves shoes and socks, and always chases the kids, but i would love it, if he didnt bite so much! Ah maybe his name really fits!! haha, thanks for any help!:p

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
First of all he was a feral when you rescued him. It was in his nature to be wild. And being a male doesn't make it any less true. He might calm down some if he had a mate. It just isn't natural for him not to have one. Doesn't make his temper any calmer. Also some pigeons are more docile than others. If he doesn't like being petted, then why try to pet him? He doesn't like it. So every time you do that, it just upsets him more. You could try to tame him a bit with some treat that he loves, like chopped peanuts (UNSALTED). Once they find out how good they are, they usually love them. He will probably take them from you. But you must remember that this is a bird, not a dog, and although it was very good of you to save him and keep him as a pet, birds must be pretty much accepted on their terms, not ours. And a feral male is not the easiest bird to befriend. I wouldn't push it, and handle him in ways he doesn't like. That won't help anything. In time, he may warm more to being handled, or he may not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup he was feral, but its not like he doesnt like to be touched or petted, its like a game for him!!! LOL very smart birds they are!!
thanks for all the info-:0)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Good advise, Jay. I do agree.
jawsie...where in Arizona do you live?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The poor thing may very well have had a mate when he was injured. I have rescues, and some are ferals. Some birds are more gentle by nature, and some are just biters. Each has their own personality.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Jay3's right. But I've "tamed" pigeons like that before. This doesn't work all the time but I hand feed them often. This allows for the pigeon to get used to you. It also shows them that it's okay to be close to your hands. Just a suggestion. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Jay3's right. But I've "tamed" pigeons like that before. This doesn't work all the time but I hand feed them often. This allows for the pigeon to get used to you. It also shows them that it's okay to be close to your hands. Just a suggestion. Hope it helps.
Yes. This helps a lot. And it does sometimes work. You just have to spend a lot of time with them.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
if you truly think he is playing a game when he bites, tell him no in firm voice and turn your back and ignore him, he'll soon realize this is not a game you want to play and you won't play if he is going to bite.
BUT! if he is not playing a game and he really does want you to leave him alone you will be reinforcing his biting behavior, in that case you should say no and ignore the bites like they have no effect on you at all, not always an easy thing to do, at least he's not a parrot!

so you really need to figure what going on when he bites and be sure about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont think he was very old when the cat got him, so not sure if he had a mate or not. But its not like i can go pluke one from the street for him! :0) Its true when he nibbles on my feet, if i ignore it he will stop, but if i bend down and start playing with him, he keeps going! He will jump in my lap to play too. I have an extra room, that is all his so hes not caged, and between me and my boys he gets lots of attention! Thanks for all the info- I will try saying no and see if thats helps, but it may just be his nature to be a little rough! I do have a parrot too! hahaha

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi all,
Iam brand new to this site, and if this is already posted here, sorry for the repeat!:D
I rescued a male pigeon bout a year and half ago, when a cat got him.
He cant fly, he left wing is useless. So I keep him in the house with me, but the only way i can pet him is to hold his peek, cause he snaps all the time!:D
Is there anyway to stot this behavior? Jawsie has Great personality, Loves shoes and socks, and always chases the kids, but i would love it, if he didnt bite so much! Ah maybe his name really fits!! haha, thanks for any help!:p
He sounds like a wonderful young male pigeon coming into his own. The behavior won't stop but you can curb it a little with all the ways as mentioned. It is a compliment that he sees you as his equal.

However, whatever area you allow him to have free flight, he will consider HIS territory, because that is what males are about, claiming territory. So when you are in what he perceives as his territory he will bite you because he wants to protect his turf-YOU ARE TRESSPASSING, and he is trying to adjust to a human world.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
lol Iam in trouble then, cause he roams the house during the day! :0)
That happened to a friend of mine, she gave her male pigeon run of the dining room and living room and he constantly bites at thei feet when they walk in and even pulls her husbands socks off! LOL You gotta love them! :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts