Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I can't tell the size of the birds from the picture, can you put them next to your homers then take a pic, so we can compare??

They look like lovely birds, where did you get them and did you ask the former owner?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't tell the size of the birds from the picture, can you put them next to your homers then take a pic, so we can compare??

They look like lovely birds, where did you get them and did you ask the former owner?
thanks, ok I'll try to take a picture of them when they together later because the hen is sitting in the nest so i don't wanna bother her.. yes i did ask the former owner and he said that they are both homer but one pair is big and other is small.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
They are all homers. There's not really a stable standard for size in homers, since they can be small to huge. The size of the head, body, and ceres can differ between strains/bloodlines and gender.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I partly noticed that too looking at some white homers. It seems some of them have smaller cere. I think one way to find out is to toss them and see if they can come back.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
hey does it matter if they 4 to 5 years old and you breed them?
They can breed and produce babies if that's what you wanted to know so that is a YES...I do have a nine year old cock and had a ten years old hen...I figure they can live longer with the good health and care for them...I pair an older cock/hen to a younger cock/hen...Works really good to me, the older one knows how to care more because he/she is experienced doing it...SOMETIMES young pairs don't do as the older stocks do...Some incidents leave/abandone the egg/s...

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Homers! :p I have a couple of different homers, some who look like the smaller ones and some who look like the bigger ones. I love their beaks. Most of my pigeons are around 5-8 years old and all of them breed all year round (I don't let them hatch). One of my homers (Homer)is a '97 as well as blind in one eye and not so great eyesight in the other, and he has a young little '07 hen (Marge), and they raised a pair last summer with no problems. ;)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
As Pegasus and Maryjane say yes they can breed even at those age. You may even ask George Simon here. He is apparently breeding his very old birds still.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
It's never a guarantee when the eggs will actually be layed but if they have started nesting and it's been a week I would give them another week before you see an egg. I was on the same boat with my first pair and it took them 3 weeks after nesting to lay eggs. You have to be very patient!....but when they get going they get going!....lol.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
its been 10/11 days since my first pair mated and they have their nest done a week ago but still no egg? i check every morning when i got to feed them.. i thought that the female lays the egg 8 to 9 days after mating?
How have they been acting? They can have as many nests as they want, but that doesn't always mean there'll be eggs right afterwards. Has the male been calling the hen to the nest, and they sit in it a lot? Usually you can tell when the hen is getting ready to lay because she spends the majority of her time sitting in the nest. And of course there's always the chance you have a pair of males, which will mate with each other and make nests obviously not laying eggs.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
You have seen them mate (copulate, vent kiss), right? Hopefully also that you have a real male and female couple. It is possible to have both hens or both cocks. If you both have 2 hens together you may get 4 eggs. If both cocks, then you won't get any.

Just be patient for now.

If the bird spreads its tail and drags it around chasing/dancing one bird, that is a cock. Any picture of the couple?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.