·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation
339 Posts
Sounds like he may need special care He will need plenty of heat 36°C if he is still very young (less than a few weeks old). The droppings look like he has been starving or has salmonella bacteria infection. I would take him in, give him heat and handfeed him. I also would have a pn avian veterinarian diagnose him as there are several causes that can be a factor in addition to starvation or undernourishment.

One can buy a quick salmonella test kit from Jedds.com you can test for it yourself in about 10 minutes. The test can be bought at https://www.jedds.com/shop/salmonella-test-kit/ but his droppings are somewhat intact, so it may simply be from starvation, but it will be good to rule out if he does not have an infection.

The green color can also be due from liver dysfunction, so only give antibiotics if positive for pathogenic bacterial infectiom, as antibiotics may overload the kidneys and liver and cause death especially if suffering from malnutrition, stress, or systemic internal illness, and not every antibiotic will work and could only do more harm if misused. Also, the bird will need probiotics after antibiotics.

The watery urine is called polyuria. This could be from starvation, kidney and or liver failure, or even from viral infections like circovirus and herpesvirus. Supportive care will be needed immediately. Heat therapy, electrolytes (Pedialyte for infants will work and used only to replace water in formula not given directly down crop), vitamin A (single dose of 250mg/kg added to formula if formula does not have vitamins), and calcium-enriched baby bird handfeeding formula (with a few added drops of Omega-3 fish oil and a drop of cod liver oil to approximately 250 mL of formula).

Keep the bird calm in a dark warm environment with a nest bowl with padding so the legs do not splay outwards and remain under the bird. Use a heating pad but make sure the temperature is no more than 36°C. If the bird is 3-4 weeks old and has juvenile feathers, you can keep it between 27-32°C. If the bird starts panting you can lower the temperature slightly, but still keep warmer than room temperature.

Feed every few hours only when crop is empty from prior feeding.

I hope he gets better and this information helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
His behavior got better on its own, he flys around now and attacks parents for food when he sees them.

I still hear him sneezing from time to time, that's something that has been going on for several weeks. Besides that, he seems fine. I'm not sure about the poop ATM tho.

His parents still care for him, he roams around during the day, and he doesn't allow me to touch him, so I don't want to capture him if it's not really necessary now when he needs to learn how to find food and stuff.

A lot of useful information, but a little bit overwhelming for a guy with pigeons on his balcony :)

·
Registered
Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation
339 Posts
No worries, miljacka!

I am happy the little youngster is doing the happy normal pigeon thing actively begging for food with excitement and being taken care of by his parents. :) You are right. At this stage he will need to learn where his flock goes for food and water and what to advoid. I hope his sneezing goes away as that may be from an illness or virus but he is young and his immunity is growing stronger. Yeah, I didn't know if you had him still and I wanted to cover as many possible causes as I could.

I am happy for him, and thank you for taking care of him and reaching out on this forum!

~ Jonathan

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
That is normal behaviour. They breath with an open mouth when it is very hot and they overheat. Their way to cool down. Spreading the wing like that is also normal. Droppings look good. You can provide them with a large dish of water if they want to bath.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts