Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a pigeon that comes on my balcony together with tens other feral pigeons, because I put food for them in some trays. I noticed he has a swollen beak with some yellow deposits (see video for more angles).

For me it looks like an infectious disease and I fear to not contaminate others.

What should I do? I can't scare only him, because comes with the flock and I woul scare ll of them.

Video

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, I think it's pox. It's spread mainly by mosquitoes, and is very contagious.Chasing him away isn't good, as he needs help. Is it possible to catch him, and see him through it until he is again well. If it spreads to his eyes, he won't be able to see, and could be caught by a predator or starve.
You would have to keep him away from other birds you have, and use very good hand washing when handling him. Chasing him away won't help, as he is still part of that flock, so he will still be with them. He needs help, not being given more problems.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the moment I can't catch him, only if his conditions worsens and by chance remains on my balcony over night (it happened with several pigeons and I was able to catch them, including the one from my other thread, which I released two day ago).

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Then not much you can do about it, unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
What I see is the bird is young and yet to go through his first moult.
If u can't catch the bird u can give him nutritional feed so that his body is able to fight off pox. U should change the water daily from which other pigeons are also drinking.feeding them by spilling only that much feed which they eat in one go, could help to prevent it from spreading if its avain pox because feed given in bowl could transmitt as his saliva could contaminate all the feed in bowl/trays.
U can add Dr.Pigeons ADE vitamins to feed or Foys ultimate vitamins to water once a week to help him keep up in terms of health and fight off pox.
Adding a little iodine or any medicine that is used to treat chicken pox in children ,to drinking water is gonna help.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'd be cautious about adding stuff to the water , it will just have to run it,s course

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
whytwings said:
I'd be cautious about adding stuff to the water , it will just have to run it,s course
Google to check out the mortality rate of young pigeons bcuz of pox. The pox lesion has already invaded the beak. His beak is open that makes me think if that lesion grows bigger it could prevent the bird from eating/drinking if that happens his doom is sure...
Young birds have low immunities to fight ailments so they are most affected.
Pigeons especially young need supportive care to survive the course of pox as u suggested... Otherwise u know I don't have great things to say...
Pox lesions grow in hours not days. Better to put effort now rather regretting later...

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Homeopathic medicine Variolinum(here)used to treat children with pox, has given relief to pox affected young pigeons here. 2 drops on week days. Or a droplet of it daily to severly affected pigeons.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I've had a fair bit of experience dealing with pox . Iodene is usually a good choice on the lesions , but it is imperative that it not be placed near the eyes or mouth . Knowing this is why I suggested caution if it was placed in water . The bird in the picture does not seem to have an extreme case from what I can see and in 6 or so weeks will recovet with life long immuity thereafter .

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I also hope the bird survives those six weeks. Salt has iodine in it and 2% salt is what is we mix in grit. Giving this much salt/iodine won't hurt the bird.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
whytwings said:
I've had a fair bit of experience dealing with pox .
I would appreciate and love to hear if u could share the info regarding "dealing with pox".
I have also treated numerous cases of pox successfully. My pigeons seldom develop pox cuz fine wire net won't let vectors enter. But I've rescued many ferals and pigeons of other friends. May be I need more things to know so...

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
No problem..... I'm only sharing information given to me from my avian veterinarian .

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I would appreciate and love to hear if u could share the info of dealing with pox.
Unfortunately there isn't any magical cure . In most cases iodene can be dabbed on the lesions where they are not close to the mouth or eyes . In the past I have used colloidal of silver , but have sinced been warned to avoid it as it contains heavy metals .Unless any of the lesions become infected , the virus has to run it's course , usually six weeks or so . If infection becomes an issue as it has in my dealings with it ...usually a course of clavamox will be a good choice .

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
What I see is the bird is young and yet to go through his first moult.
If u can't catch the bird u can give him nutritional feed so that his body is able to fight off pox. U should change the water daily from which other pigeons are also drinking.feeding them by spilling only that much feed which they eat in one go, could help to prevent it from spreading if its avain pox because feed given in bowl could transmitt as his saliva could contaminate all the feed in bowl/trays.
U can add Dr.Pigeons ADE vitamins to feed or Foys ultimate vitamins to water once a week to help him keep up in terms of health and fight off pox.
Adding a little iodine or any medicine that is used to treat chicken pox in children ,to drinking water is gonna help.
I change the water several times a day, put only little food at the time and throw it if I see a poop and I wash most of trays every morning.

I saw him today again, was first to come but also returned with the flock later.

I don't think they would be interested in my grit because ferals take their necessary from ground.

Another question: in a vegetable market near me there is a flock that drink water from a very dirty source (some air conditioning device that spills its discharge in a place full of their droppings on street) and I saw some pigeons remained isolated over night because of illness. Their droppings looked yellow-greenish, similar to droppings of coccidiosis ill birds according to photos on some websites. It also had something red, blood or worm. I think it may be cocci or worms.

Can I put some water with anti-coccidial medicament in it or anti-worm for that flock in market? I have such anti-cocci medicine (some Romanian product called Coccistop) but for worms I don't know what to give.

I'm especially interested in that flock because it is a pigeon that I cared (was cat bitten) and then escaped and this night that pigeon remained isolated in some inaccessible place there, a sign that is sick too.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Thnx for being inclined towards benefit of pigeons.
While treating for coccidiosis the treated water is given for 5-7 days,other water source is removed. (Most drugs that I've used make clear in instructions that no other water source be available). Here people who are concerned about pigeons give feed and put bowl in parks/rooftops and they make the water available 24/7.

That way pigeons know where to get sweet clean fresh water and feed and they don't use such water source as in the market over there cuz pigeons know more than we think. Putting coccidal medicine in that pool of water which full of droppings and more water come out of AC discharge won't help. Coccidal powder be mixed in proper ratio. Andre,I would suggest u to do some social work, make some arrangements that the water that come out of AC vent don't accumulate over there. It should get into drain so that pigeons don't drink it. People are religious over here,they put water bowl on their rooftops and streets. Govt and NGO's also emphasis to provide clean drinking water. So, I think u should make effort or ask the owner not let water accumulate over there as not only for pigeons its a health hazzard for humans also as mosquitos and several types of bacteria can breed in there...
If u wanna put treated water in bowls then its good.While treating a wild flock what I've experienced is that when u treat the water and pigeons drink it if they don't like its taste they go away and find another source. If u treat ur water then pigeons will be hesitant to drink it.

But,giving it a try won't hurt. Water can be treated for worms given that pigeons drink required water to give them sufficient doasge to kill worms. Low or high dosages both are toxic/harmful. But don't do it right now as the pigeons that come to ur place to drink and feed are already fighting with pox. They don't need more stress on their bodies for now

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thnx for being inclined towards benefit of pigeons.
While treating for coccidiosis the treated water is given for 5-7 days,other water source is removed. (Most drugs that I've used make clear in instructions that no other water source be available). Here people who are concerned about pigeons give feed and put bowl in parks/rooftops and they make the water available 24/7.

That way pigeons know where to get sweet clean fresh water and feed and they don't use such water source as in the market over there cuz pigeons know more than we think. Putting coccidal medicine in that pool of water which full of droppings and more water come out of AC discharge won't help. Coccidal powder be mixed in proper ratio. Andre,I would suggest u to do some social work, make some arrangements that the water that come out of AC vent don't accumulate over there. It should get into drain so that pigeons don't drink it. People are religious over here,they put water bowl on their rooftops and streets. Govt and NGO's also emphasis to provide clean drinking water. So, I think u should make effort or ask the owner not let water accumulate over there as not only for pigeons its a health hazzard for humans also as mosquitos and several types of bacteria can breed in there...
If u wanna put treated water in bowls then its good.While treating a wild flock what I've experienced is that when u treat the water and pigeons drink it if they don't like its taste they go away and find another source. If u treat ur water then pigeons will be hesitant to drink it.

But,giving it a try won't hurt. Water can be treated for worms given that pigeons drink required water to give them sufficient doasge to kill worms. Low or high dosages both are toxic/harmful. But don't do it right now as the pigeons that come to ur place to drink and feed are already fighting with pox. They don't need more stress on their bodies for now
I will put a can under the air conditioning's pipe to collect the water and not let it spill out. I made some connections in market, last evening & night they helped me try to catch that pigeon of mine but I didn't succeed. She stayed over night in cold rain and now she doesn't eat and her condition will worsen. I hope to able to get her when will be weak enough. I talked with someone working in market that will watch the bird and if she falls or something else happens, phones me.

As for the pigeon with pox, I noticed today that her beak is stuck open by that inflamation, she can't eat but tries endless, making the food trays potentially contagious, so I removed the trays from there.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Oh so sorry to hear about both the birds. I'm afraid that the cat bitten pigeons has developed some infection.

Removing the trays is a good step u took. Atleast now other pigeons won't eat feed infected with his saliva/pox.And if the pox ridden pigeon can't eat or drink then situation's gon b bad for him...
I hope u catch both the birds soon so that they can be helped.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Would it be possible to put up a box trap to try and catch the sick bird when it comes to feed? But to do that you would have to put out more feed. He will die otherwise.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts