Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I noticed a lump of pigeon poop on my fiance's hand as we were cuddling. I reached with a paper towel to clean it up, when Coalie reached forward and scooped it up with his beak ... and swallowed! I felt like throwing up ... my mouth feels funny even today as I recount this.

Is this normal? Why would he do that? I know in some animals, like rabbits, it's normal.
Rach

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Oddly enough, their own poop can actually be good for them! I have never seen ours eat it but I'm sure they do. Sounds like yours may have gotten excited and scooped it up and swallowed before he knew what he was doing though. :)

It does sound gross but after 14+ years of picking up poop, wiping butts, washing it off my hands, clothes, hair, etc. I think I am immune to it because it no longer bothers me.............at least, not too much. ;)

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I have dogs and cats as well as pigeons and I must say that I have never found pigeon poop gross...just interesting. I wish i could say the same for dog or cat poop. I suppose it is something about carnivores....

Cynthia

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I've been pooped on plenty and even pulled a knee high nylon out of a dogs butt.

But that sounds gross.:eek: Not that they haven't but I never seen my guys do that

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had Pudgy for about a month and a half and I've only seen her "move" her dried poo, I've never seen her swallow any, escpecially not still wet poo. If she wants to stand some where that I haven't cleaned yet, she'll pick it up and move it out of the way, but like I said this is always after it has dried and is hard.

I'll certainly be a lot faster at cleaning her wet droppings now, though ;)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
My guess, and this is only a guess, is that if they are eating their own feces, they are probably missing something in their diet that they feel they can get in the feces. I would make sure they are getting a wide variety of seeds and plenty of vitamin and mineral supplemented grit (red grit).

Just a thought,

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts