Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let my pigeons out today in the afternoon around 5:40pm and saw then flying around for at least 30 minutes skies where cloudy and weather was around 80's and than I left the food in the coop there was a youngster and two birds that didn't fly as much as the ones still out. so they. came in early by 6:10 so I went to play soccer with my friend come back at 8:30 pm still no sign of them!

The weather for tommorow they call 40% rain showers what's the chances they will come back my team was made up of ten birds since I am a beginner on Saturday I lost three of them and the rest came back same day where one showed up on Sunday afternoon and today I lost four so I'm down to three birds I'm praying to god all I can do that no predator already got to them or will get them. so do you guys think they will show up maybe they could had joined some other racer that lives close to town?

They just started to loft fly for a good thirty minutes about a week and half ago and that's when disaster starts to happen!

I already learned my lesson not to release on weekends bc most fliers are home and have time to let there birds out!

Now I got a feeling I can't release my birds in the evening or when it's cloudy bc it seams that young birds can easly get lost?

I have been letting them out mostly in the morning but today I had summer college class so I got home at five and let them out giving them a workout since the weather has been hot latly in the past days and since today was not bad I gave it a go but it looks like it was a no show!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am going to hope that it won't rain in the morning at all or at least not pour so they might show up! But I got a bad feeling this week since last Saturday has not been the best.

So I'm guessing these birds can last at least two days before they get really weak and that all hope could be disastrous for them to get home safe or show up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is so frustrating I lost good quality birds basically my foundation birds to which will teach me into next season and hopefully breed me youngsters for next year!

I am going to call some local fliers see if they can help me out and give me some hope that they might have gone into there loft

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Sorry to hear that....I would hope, if these fliers are honest, they would contact you if they have your birds.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the problem is that I did not join the club yet so the only people that know me is the food supplier who also races and lives in my town and another friend who lives about ten miles from me who got somebody to give me young birds and that guy is up from north jersey so these are the only people who know me I have to sign up in the club to get myself acquainted with everybody so like that I know more people that fly in my town so right now just waiting so that one pigeon goes into the loft so he couldn't be that far which means the other three still out there will most Likly show up I'm crosses my fingers

·
Registered
466 Posts
Keep us posted as far as how many returns you get. Definitely join a club. I had a disastrous day about a month ago, but due to the generosity of my fellow club members, I have more birds now than before the disaster. I'm not sure if all clubs are like mine, but these guys really have your back.

Good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
these birds are banded but they were given to me and the guy that gave them to me is from a club from north jersey and I'm from the central jersey so if anything people would contact him I already reached him let him know the situation if he gets any news that it was probably the birds he donated to me.

it is kinda my fault I never wrote their band numbers when he gave me them but I learn from my mistakes!

I already got two birds back out of the four that went missing on Thursday so I'm sure they did not go far hopefully the other two might show up on Saturday not bad for the rain days I have been having especially on Friday.

So I know what I'm doing tommorow morning writing the ring numbers on my pigeon manager book!

the two that are missing only one has a ring so the other one I was going to keep as a breeder cock looked pretty good in body form

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my coop is small my max I can fit in it would have been 15 and that would be risking poor performance and higher risk of diseases or sickness rates up so I'm trying to keep it confortable but not tight. Started. at ten went down to seven and know as I speak five are in the coop/loft Monday have a bird arriving from a friend
so if these two last birds show up I will be at 8 and if the other three show up I will be at 11 so I think I won't be bother fellow fanciers for more birds, I am in a learning stage get it together learn on my own as I go and ask question of any to a fancier who helped me with extension to my loft and introduced me to another fancier who donated me the birds I have and if I'm lucky have time will try to build something decent like a 8' x 5' loft seperated in two sections breeders and racers my strategy right now is the natural system and I think I like that system it allows the birds too grow up in a normal pace doesn't push them or stress them allows them to select there partner bc in nature the female selects the better male so I'm sure it goes the same for pigeons just my opinion nothing against other peoples thoughts but from what I have been told other strategies take more dedication and time and space for it to work right and one guy I know does well and everybody want to buy his birds or want him to fly a couple of birds from them to see how they doo. He stopped giving out birds to his competitors for free if anybody want his birds they have to go into there wallets bc he has lost to somebody that flew a bird that he gave them so he does not want to race against his own birds.

I would have loved to at least try out the young bird season but not quite ready for it I feel like I would be throwing away the best birds I have the ones which were given to me. I did not even start road traing not even release them at the end of my block so to try to race its me not caring to much about what I feel is more valuable that a bird bought on paper��

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
IF your going to race Young Birds only,you need a loft 5 or 6 feet wide,16 feet long....10 feet for the YB`s,divided in half for cocks and hens...No matter what system you fly...The other 6 foot section in for your breeders...If you are going to race OB`s also,add another 6 feet to the loft....It is also alot better to have extra room for the birds,then not having enough......Alamo

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
really is it in the rules or like is that the only way to be successful you have to divide the cocks and hens? No matter what system? Okay so that's going to have to Waite bc what I got is a play house to many big shots or people who can afford to have something that big
but talking real now yea in the future I wish to have a nice property where I can have space to build a loft that gives enough space for the birds I would never want more than twenty birds breeders wise I'm only keeping two pairs enough to control the amount of birds than the old ones can go for sale if I become high on my standards regarding the population. I'm just starting this hobby get to learn how it works meet some people make new friends bc doesn't hurt to learn from other people with different cultures and jobs

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Going off topic I am also working on a app for people with smartphones who enjoy the racing pigeon hobby which will help out alot can't go into details bc still in the works but that will be another thread I will start from scratch later when it's more developed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts