Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 months old cock bird in my loft. He behave normally like other cock bird, like cooing, fighting etc...

only one thing, he seems only interested in boys.

First, I found he try to cuddle and kiss one of my old cock bird, who is recently single. He approach the old bird, no matter how he fight, esp during night, he try to kiss and cuddle the old bird.

Then, he now show interest about another young cock bird, who is paired up with young hen. All he does is try to get rid of the hen, and get into the nest with this young cock bird, no matter how the latter ignore him.

I once doubt this might be a young hen in disguise, however, he does behave like a cock bird. And most importantly, I have never seen any of my other cock birds interested in him.. so I think he must be male.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had two males who paired up with each other and often mated they also collected twigs and even sat on them but as they were males they never laid eggs.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know cocks may pair up if there are not enough hen around. however, there are quite a few spare hen in my loft. He is not very interested, he just bother other cocks birds, no matter how they try to fight or ignore him

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well there were three single and young hens but they still weren't interested in them.Even I don't know why they had mated but they seemed happy with each other so i didn't wanted to separate them and put them with two hens.
-Rubeena

·
Registered
296 Posts
Do you have a loft?If they live in cages and you take them out regularly like i do then you can put the cock with a hen and take them out separately from others.They might mate with each other.
-Rubeena

·
Registered
296 Posts
Oh they are very fast and intelligent my pigeons mate at the age of 5 months or 6 months!I don't know why they hurry so much!
-Rubeena

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
anything under a year old is either a hatchling, a squab or a young bird (teenager). so he is still young and confused.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I do notice, if you put two birds together in a cage, they normally pair up super quick, I tried a few times, most of them settle down in 2 or 3 days.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I guess his behaviour is tending towards that of a homosexual but as others have said, It could just be a phase, Thats what my mum said lol.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
ROFL, Evan :)

I've had boy pigeons pair up when they were young-the whole works with howling to each other, cuddling, sticking their heads under the other guy's wing and wiggling his wings- but eventually they started to fight and they went with hens.

Pigeon love is so interesting:)

·
Registered
838 Posts
talk about cock, i have 2 hens both are nast mate sister and paired up. Since they both though that the dominate cock in my loft is their mate, they both lets him in their territory and will not attack him. Any other bird come close get chase off. They both lay eggs and take turn sitting just like a real pair. They each lay 2 eggs and sit on 4 eggs. The sad part is that the eggs never hatch. Maybe this spring will will give them fertile eggs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts