Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Here are a couple of pictures of one of my PMV survivors. About two weeks ago she began loosing feathers on her head. Small pinpoint bumps appear, but they do not rupture. There is no crusting as I have seen with pox in the past. The skin is quite dry. The feather loss is spreading. I've been treating it with some triple antibiotic without success. This bird lives indoors in a cage with Loverly. They are paired and I hate to separate them. Certainly Loverly has been exposed to whatever this is, but shows no indication of any leisons of any kind.

The birds do go out to the aviary at intervals for bath time and sun. None of the other birds show any pox symptoms, but I can't rule it out.

Does anyone have any idea of what I might be dealing with here?

Margaret

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Any way to have an Avian Vet take a scraping to see if it's fungal or mites?

Sure hope all will be OK and you find an answer!!

I know for awhile that Dom was real scruffy featherwise on his head, but that was because Gimie kept pecking him. When he molted, he was fine...until she started in again! No bumps like yours tho..

Wishing all the best with love and hugs

Shi :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
perhaps it is itch mites?.....

copy
Itch Mite These mites cause feathers to fall out. They burrow through the feathers shaft into the follicle. If feathers have a swollen root, It is probably Itch Mite. The feather shaft swells and then the feather is shed. Small pale spots appear on the under side of the feathers on the breast, wings, back and neck.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Margaret, I'm thinking also that it is some type of parasite causing this. You could spray him with Scalex or use some other product and, to be on the safe side, give him a round of Nystatin just in case it is fungal.

He is a pretty little bird. Hope you see some improvement soon.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Nystatin works on contact, though, so if it's a skin fungal infection, I don't think oral Nystatin isn't going to get it. The stuff I've used for skin fungus (not in birds) is miconazole and/or colloidal silver topically, or for serious fungal infections, fluconazole orally. I wonder if Nystatin would work topically also?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts