Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

One my ferals has a layer of yellow crust completely covering its left eye (see photos). I assume this is pox? He appears to be well otherwise and is full of energy. I didn't see any cancer growths in the throat. I have a DAC pox cream at home. Is it safe to apply it on eyes? Would the condition warrant taking him in or would it be too much extra stress for the birdie? I'm feeding it a budgie mix that has extra vitamin A as I've heard that it's beneficial for the skin.

Thanks
Bird Vertebrate Beak Feather Mammal

Bird Plant Stock dove Mammal Grey

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Does not look like pox. Pox form huge growths. Catch him and use lukewarm water to gently try and remove the crust.

How long has he been like this? It's possible he had a pox growth that dried up and fell off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He doesn't belong to my main flock, can't say how long exactly he's been like that. It can't be canker can it as it can't proliferate outside the body and form lesions like that? Ok, I'll have to bring him home then. My plan is to apply the cream around the eye to kill off whatever germs are left there and give him harkers 3 in 1 soluble for the prescribed period just in case. It's not terribly strong and I think he should handle it fine. What do you think?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Not sure if you can use that cream on his eyes. If he seems fine and the droppings are good, then don't treat him with any meds. To be safe you can check inside his beak and back of the throat with a flashlight for any unusual growths.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if you can use that cream on his eyes. If he seems fine and the droppings are good, then don't treat him with any meds. To be safe you can check inside his beak and back of the throat with a flashlight for any unusual growths.
Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll leave him be for now but keep him under observation. It doesn't look like canker, his mouth looks clean. Behaviorally you can't tell him apart from a healthy pigeon. It's possible he had pox and is now on his way to a full recovery. Granted he may be blind in one eye but this doesn't worry me too much. One of my most daring ferals has a missing eye and he always gets first dibs on food and he stands up for himself like no other. Here's Pirate :D

Bird Plant Water Stock dove Beak

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont know how to help, but i hope your pidge gets well!!!!
he is a beautiful dove
Thank you. I'm monitoring him and giving him seeds and peanuts. He seems ok apart from being stressed out by other birds who aren't impaired and can pick up seed quicker. Terrible location for them. Next to a busy road. The birds are dirty and smell bad. Still pondering if it's a good idea to maybe take him in for a week and let him rest and recover and get a good clean. Feed him a budgie mix with vitamins, rather than let him eat the junk people feed them. I'm aware that this would cause him extra stress too so I'm hesitant to do that.

·
Registered
i want to keep pigeons but i cant
62 Posts
i think you should take him inside
do you have any other pets?
and make sure he has enough space, i.e. the space should be a little wider than thrice his wingspan, and 2 feet tall (60 cm/0.6 m).
budgie mix is good enough for him, but try as much as possible to get designated pigeon feed for him.
even seeds would be good for him (corn, some fruits, cereals (and dont worry, pigeons do NOT explode when they eat rice), etc.)

and about the disease itself, check everyday if the growths have spread on to the bill and nostrils (pigeons' nostrils are a little above the beak, covered with feathers that have bigger gaps between the small barbules.)

I hope he recovers! 🙏

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think you should take him inside
do you have any other pets?
and make sure he has enough space, i.e. the space should be a little wider than thrice his wingspan, and 2 feet tall (60 cm/0.6 m).
budgie mix is good enough for him, but try as much as possible to get designated pigeon feed for him.
even seeds would be good for him (corn, some fruits, cereals (and dont worry, pigeons do NOT explode when they eat rice), etc.)

and about the disease itself, check everyday if the growths have spread on to the bill and nostrils (pigeons' nostrils are a little above the beak, covered with feathers that have bigger gaps between the small barbules.)

I hope he recovers! 🙏
After some deliberation, I think so too that he should spend some time inside. He knows me and trusts me enough to eat out my hand (or perhaps he's just famished) so having someone he knows by his side will hopefully put his mind at ease. I actually bought a big dog cage because I couldn't stand not having any means of helping my ferals when they got sick. He would be staying in my room and I have no pets. Haven't been into pigeons for long (the universe sent them to me this August to help me with my depression haha) and I'm yet to buy all the essential medicine they might need. I feed them wild bird seed. They go absolutely nuts for it. Do you know if I can spray water on them and would they start doing their bathing ritual?

·
Registered
i want to keep pigeons but i cant
62 Posts
you can give them a small bowl of water, and the pigeon will drink it, eventually they will splash in it, and poop in it. (it's their bathroom)

everyday change the water, or the pigeon will be drinking poop.
and what's his name?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you can give them a small bowl of water, and the pigeon will drink it, eventually they will splash in it, and poop in it. (it's their bathroom)

everyday change the water, or the pigeon will be drinking poop.
and what's his name?
I've named him Rocky. I want him to defeat his disease. I know that pigeons like to bathe if you present them with a shallow bowl of water. The problem is a logistical one as I can't fetch much water to their site so I thought maybe I could spray water on individual pigeons. Or perhaps pour it with a watering can. If I leave a bowl for them it will probably be nicked by the end of the day knowing where I live.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So just wanted to give an update on Rocky and ask a couple of questions. He's been with me since Friday. His poop was green the following day but is now brownish looking with a white cap. Still I can see a bit of green in it. The combination of the yellow crust on his eye and green poop made me worried that he might have chlamydia but could the colour shift mean that it was caused by stress of relocating?

I wouldn't describe him as active, he often rests on one leg and looks a bit fluffed up. I noticed pigeons in the wild do that too when they're taking a break. There's not much for him to do here but once in a while he gets up and inspects his cage. He's alert when I'm cleaning his cage or get too close. I've learned that if I bow my head and whistle softly he calms down and shuts his eye. I leave the cage door open and he likes to venture outside once a day and flies to the top of my shelf. He eats seeds and was very partial to peanuts and cashews yesterday that he ate out of my hand. Normally he slaps me when I put my hand near his bowl.

I noticed tapeworm fragments next to him and thought that harkers 3 in 1 soluble was in order. He's not drinking excessively so it's safe to say that he doesn't have canker.

Just a couple of concerns. If he does have chlamydia, is it wise to give the harkers as I may be wrong here but could it throw out his gut flora out of balance and create an environment where chlamydia bacteria can multiply quicker? To counter this, I put a few drops of kefir over his seeds as it's loaded with good bacteria. I plan to give him apple cider vinegar for two days after his treatment ends to make sure yeast doesn't take hold. Am I doing this right?

About his eye. The scab is hard so I didn't try to remove it. I spray the area with colloidal silver twice a day.

Also, he has slight head tics and he yawns. Sometimes he scratches his head with his foot. Are these likely to be mites? What do you think of natural solutions that are based on citric acid?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Can't you have the droppings tested to be 100% sure? These 3 in 1 meds don't have enough of a specific antibiotic for treating diseases. Deworm him and get something for external parasites from a petshop. His droppings sound fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't you have the droppings tested to be 100% sure? These 3 in 1 meds don't have enough of a specific antibiotic for treating diseases. Deworm him and get something for external parasites from a petshop. His droppings sound fine.
I consulted a pigeon rescuer on Instagram and she thinks my pigeon has canker so I'll be giving him spartrix and I'll try to obtain clavamox or its equivalent here in the UK in case canker causes infection. She saw that his dropping has some yellow around them and apparently that can mean canker. They were back to brownish today after he ate. You're right. 3 in 1 seems to be a jack of all trades, a master of none. But what the hell is the point of it if it says canker, worm and coccidiosis treatment on the bottle. A preventative maybe? Thought a good immune system should prevent any illnesses from developing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've read on a 4 in 1 bottle: use until a diagnosis is made. So I guess it's ok to use in a case of emergency until one knows what disease you are dealing with.
She said that due to deworming chemicals in it, it's a bad idea to give it to him as they're toxic and can weaken the birds immune system further. That makes sense so the strategy is to deal with one disease at a time if you can. I suppose it has its use cases - when canker is mild or the bird is healthy and you want to deworm him. So this morning I gave him spartrix and saw that some yellow pus was on his eye and nostrils. Didn't see anything inside his beak. He doesn't like to be handled at all and slaps me. If he has canker in his eye, wouldn't that mean that the entry point is somewhere inside his beak? Surely it didn't start in the eye? So the other guess is that he got wounded in the eye. Do injuries there typically produce yellow pus like that? I don't know how long his eye has been like this. I first spotted him about two weeks ago and his eye was like that already. His poop had some yellow in it this morning so could still have canker.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts