Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Does not look like pox. Pox form huge growths. Catch him and use lukewarm water to gently try and remove the crust.

How long has he been like this? It's possible he had a pox growth that dried up and fell off.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Not sure if you can use that cream on his eyes. If he seems fine and the droppings are good, then don't treat him with any meds. To be safe you can check inside his beak and back of the throat with a flashlight for any unusual growths.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Can't you have the droppings tested to be 100% sure? These 3 in 1 meds don't have enough of a specific antibiotic for treating diseases. Deworm him and get something for external parasites from a petshop. His droppings sound fine.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I've read on a 4 in 1 bottle: use until a diagnosis is made. So I guess it's ok to use in a case of emergency until one knows what disease you are dealing with.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
He probably knows food is always available now and there's no competition, that's why he is not gobbling up everything. I've read about sinus canker that can cause swelling.

Can you post a photo of his overnight droppings?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Droppings not looking too bad. I've never used Spartrix (not available here), I always give metronidazole for canker. Are you doing the full antibiotic course? You can't just give a dose when you think he needs it.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Did that yellow came from his mouth? Can't you get metronidazole for canker? Petshops that sells aquarium and fish supplies sells Fishzole, it's the same as metronidazole.

Have you tried to remove the yellow crust from the eye?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I think that eye was injured somehow and is infected. You did say you saw some pus leaking out. The stuff he shaked from his mouth/nostrils could be pus leaking on the inside.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
You've ordered amoxycillin? When you get this, do a 10 day treatment of 40 mg twice a day. Green droppings can be a sign of infection.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Hopefully he will be ok. Boost his immunity with probiotics and apple cider vinegar in the drinking water twice a week. You can also wet his food and sprinkle on a bit of turmeric and cinnamon twice a week.

Have you asked around amongst your friends and family for any amoxycillin based meds? Someone might just have some.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Don't force him to bath. If you have a nice sunny spot, put down a large flat dish of water. You can splash the water with your fingers to get him interested. Try this every day until he decides it's time for a bath. Make sure he has a nice warm spot to get dry. In front of a window will be perfect.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Most pigeons are afraid of hands, they don't view hands as part of you. You can try the following: keep your head at his eye level and then slowly nod your head. Pigeons do this to each other as a sign of friendliness. I have a female that nods back to me and it's so cute when she does this.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Rather stop giving the acv in the water while on antibiotics. Remove all the grit as well. You can start with the acv again after treatment. Glad to hear he is settling in well.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
No, that is not normal. Unless the weather is extremely hot and they drink a lot of water. You are in winter now. Is there a way you can measure how much he drinks everyday?

Do you really want to release him again? I thought you were going to keep him.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
He is definitely an adult. Make sure his favourite seeds are always available. Hemp, safflower and shelled sunflower seeds are good for weight gain. He is not used to being confined, that's probably why he is flying around so much.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Rather do a 10 day course. Looks like the whole eye is missing. Also rather remove the scabs with something soft, like an earbud that you can soak in lukewarm water.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Sounds like he is bonding to you, you are the only other living creature he has contact with. Don't give too much peanuts. Let him eat seed and only give peanuts once in a while. Does he have a mirror?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts